Velocity Reviews

-   -   Why can I only burn 3000 files to a DVD? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t428541-why-can-i-only-burn-3000-files-to-a-dvd.html)

Beemer 08-19-2006 11:24 AM

Why can I only burn 3000 files to a DVD?

I'm trying to burn all my photos to data dvds. I can only get around 3000
photos aprox 2.2GB in one folder then DiscJuggler reports "disc full"

Is there a file quantity limit for a data DVD?

Beemer

Joan 08-19-2006 12:04 PM

Re: Why can I only burn 3000 files to a DVD?

You put 3000 files in one folder? Break it down into sub folders by
some meaningful means.

--
Joan

news:yxCFg.5648$r61.887@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk ...
:

Al Dykes 08-19-2006 12:30 PM

Re: Why can I only burn 3000 files to a DVD?

In article <44e6fe8f$0$32761$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>,
Joan <Joan@home.t2> wrote:
>You put 3000 files in one folder? Break it down into sub folders by
>some meaningful means.
>
>--
>Joan
>http://www.flickr.com/photos/joan-in-manly
>
>"Beemer" <Beemer@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>news:yxCFg.5648$r61.887@text.news.blueyonder.co.u k...
>: I'm trying to burn all my photos to data dvds. I can only get
>around 3000
>: photos aprox 2.2GB in one folder then DiscJuggler reports "disc
>full"
>:
>: Is there a file quantity limit for a data DVD?
>:
>: Beemer
>:

2GB is a limit in FAT32 file systems. Maybe your software is making a
temporary file that contains all your images.

If this is the case and you're runing Windows 2000 or XP, converting
your file system to NTFS may be the answer. It's easy but you should
get some hands-on advice, first.

If you're running Windows 98, you're out of luck.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Beemer 08-19-2006 12:36 PM

| In article <44e6fe8f$0$32761$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>,
| Joan <Joan@home.t2> wrote:
| >You put 3000 files in one folder? Break it down into sub folders by
| >some meaningful means.
| >
| >--
| >Joan
| >http://www.flickr.com/photos/joan-in-manly
| >
| >"Beemer" <Beemer@nowhere.com> wrote in message
| >news:yxCFg.5648$r61.887@text.news.blueyonder.co.u k...
| >: I'm trying to burn all my photos to data dvds. I can only get
| >around 3000
| >: photos aprox 2.2GB in one folder then DiscJuggler reports "disc
| >full"
| >:
| >: Is there a file quantity limit for a data DVD?
| >:
| >: Beemer
| >:
|
| 2GB is a limit in FAT32 file systems. Maybe your software is making a
| temporary file that contains all your images.
|
| If this is the case and you're runing Windows 2000 or XP, converting
| your file system to NTFS may be the answer. It's easy but you should
| get some hands-on advice, first.
|
| If you're running Windows 98, you're out of luck.
|
| --
| a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
|
| Don't blame me. I voted for Gore. A Proud signature since 2001

I'm already using NTFS. Earlier poster alluded that I have put too many
files in one folder?

Beemer

Pete D 08-19-2006 12:43 PM

news:JBDFg.5675$r61.4185@text.news.blueyonder.co.u k...

> "Al Dykes" <adykes@panix.com> wrote in message
> | In article
> <44e6fe8f$0$32761$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>,
> | Joan <Joan@home.t2> wrote:
> | >You put 3000 files in one folder? Break it down into sub folders by
> | >some meaningful means.
> | >
> | >--
> | >Joan
> | >http://www.flickr.com/photos/joan-in-manly
> | >
> | >"Beemer" <Beemer@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> | >news:yxCFg.5648$r61.887@text.news.blueyonder.co.u k...
> | >: I'm trying to burn all my photos to data dvds. I can only get
> | >around 3000
> | >: photos aprox 2.2GB in one folder then DiscJuggler reports "disc
> | >full"
> | >:
> | >: Is there a file quantity limit for a data DVD?
> | >:
> | >: Beemer
> | >:
> |
> | 2GB is a limit in FAT32 file systems. Maybe your software is making a
> | temporary file that contains all your images.
> |
> | If this is the case and you're runing Windows 2000 or XP, converting
> | your file system to NTFS may be the answer. It's easy but you should
> | get some hands-on advice, first.
> |
> | If you're running Windows 98, you're out of luck.
> |
> | --
> | a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
> |
> | Don't blame me. I voted for Gore. A Proud signature since 2001
>
> I'm already using NTFS. Earlier poster alluded that I have put too many
> files in one folder?
>
> Beemer

DVD's don't use NTFS format anyway so it would not matter.

Al Dykes 08-19-2006 01:08 PM

Re: Why can I only burn 3000 files to a DVD?

In article <JBDFg.5675$r61.4185@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk> ,
Beemer <Beemer@nowhere.com> wrote:

>"Al Dykes" <adykes@panix.com> wrote in message
>| In article <44e6fe8f$0$32761$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>,
>| Joan <Joan@home.t2> wrote:
>| >You put 3000 files in one folder? Break it down into sub folders by
>| >some meaningful means.
>| >
>| >--
>| >Joan
>| >http://www.flickr.com/photos/joan-in-manly
>| >
>| >"Beemer" <Beemer@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>| >news:yxCFg.5648$r61.887@text.news.blueyonder.co.u k...
>| >: I'm trying to burn all my photos to data dvds. I can only get
>| >around 3000
>| >: photos aprox 2.2GB in one folder then DiscJuggler reports "disc
>| >full"
>| >:
>| >: Is there a file quantity limit for a data DVD?
>| >:
>| >: Beemer
>| >:
>|
>| 2GB is a limit in FAT32 file systems. Maybe your software is making a
>| temporary file that contains all your images.
>|
>| If this is the case and you're runing Windows 2000 or XP, converting
>| your file system to NTFS may be the answer. It's easy but you should
>| get some hands-on advice, first.
>|
>| If you're running Windows 98, you're out of luck.
>|
>| --
>| a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
>|
>| Don't blame me. I voted for Gore. A Proud signature since 2001
>
>I'm already using NTFS. Earlier poster alluded that I have put too many
>files in one folder?

NTFS, and the versions of Windows that use it, have no limitations on
file size or number of files that anyone that has home computer will
face. The problem is somewhere else, probably your burning
application.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Al Dykes 08-19-2006 01:08 PM

Re: Why can I only burn 3000 files to a DVD?

In article <44e7077f$0$32756$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>,
Pete D <no@email.com> wrote:

>"Beemer" <Beemer@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>news:JBDFg.5675$r61.4185@text.news.blueyonder.co. uk...
>>
>> "Al Dykes" <adykes@panix.com> wrote in message
>> | In article
>> <44e6fe8f$0$32761$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>,

>> | 2GB is a limit in FAT32 file systems. Maybe your software is making a
>> | temporary file that contains all your images.
>> |
>> | If this is the case and you're runing Windows 2000 or XP, converting
>> | your file system to NTFS may be the answer. It's easy but you should
>> | get some hands-on advice, first.
>> |
>> | If you're running Windows 98, you're out of luck.
>> |
>> | --
>> | a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
>> |
>> | Don't blame me. I voted for Gore. A Proud signature since 2001
>>
>> I'm already using NTFS. Earlier poster alluded that I have put too many
>> files in one folder?
>>
>> Beemer
>>

>DVD's don't use NTFS format anyway so it would not matter.

The DVD doesn't, but the PC that burns it does.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

EF in FLA 08-19-2006 03:23 PM

Re: Why can I only burn 3000 files to a DVD?

> I'm trying to burn all my photos to data dvds. I can only get around 3000
> photos aprox 2.2GB in one folder then DiscJuggler reports "disc full"

Download deepburner and see if it can handle more than 2,000.

ef

ASAAR 08-19-2006 03:23 PM

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 11:24:14 GMT, Beemer wrote:

> I'm trying to burn all my photos to data dvds. I can only get around 3000
> photos aprox 2.2GB in one folder then DiscJuggler reports "disc full"
>
> Is there a file quantity limit for a data DVD?

No, there shouldn't be. I just had a look at Padus's online
manual / help file, and it shows that DiskJuggler Standard Edition
supports several CD file systems and formats, but if you need
support for DVD file systems and formats, you have to purchase
DiskJuggler Professional Edition. Are you able to actually burn
2.2GB of photos on a DVD or do you get the error message before the
burning actually starts, when you're just adding files prior to
actually starting the DVD write process? Is your DiskJuggler the
Standard Edition or the Professional Edition? If it's the Standard
Edition, the program may have used signed long integers to keep
track of the files it will be writing to the disc, and signed long
integers range from approximately - 2GB to + 2GB. Obviously more
than enough to keep track of what would be burned to a CD, which can
only hold about 700 MB to 800 MB, but not nearly enough to match
what a DVD can hold. Poor error handling in the program would
detect the integer variable's overflow error, but instead of telling
you that you've exceeded its capacity, it just reports "disc full",
which would be misleading. See:

http://www.padus.com/support/manuals...2_Features.htm

If you're using DiskJuggler Professional Edition, then I don't
know why you can't write more than 2.2 GB to the DVDs.

Peter A. Stavrakoglou 08-19-2006 04:41 PM

Re: Why can I only burn 3000 files to a DVD?

> In article
> <44e6fe8f$0$32761$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>,
> Joan <Joan@home.t2> wrote:
>>You put 3000 files in one folder? Break it down into sub folders by
>>some meaningful means.
>>
>>--
>>Joan
>>http://www.flickr.com/photos/joan-in-manly
>>
>>"Beemer" <Beemer@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>news:yxCFg.5648$r61.887@text.news.blueyonder.co. uk...
>>: I'm trying to burn all my photos to data dvds. I can only get
>>around 3000
>>: photos aprox 2.2GB in one folder then DiscJuggler reports "disc
>>full"
>>:
>>: Is there a file quantity limit for a data DVD?
>>:
>>: Beemer
>>:

> 2GB is a limit in FAT32 file systems. Maybe your software is making
> temporary file that contains all your images.

Al, isn't the 2GB a limit if FAT16, not FAT32?