Velocity Reviews

-   -   Just got my MCSD (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t42852-just-got-my-mcsd.html)

Mike Maddux 08-14-2003 05:28 PM

Just got my MCSD

I just passed 70-300 and obtained my MCSD.NET, and I'm very happy about it. Now
we'll see if it makes much difference in my job hunt. I at least hope that it
won't hurt!

What worked for me:

First, I have 20+ years of programming experience, although none of it was
STRICTLY in architecture work. However in all that time I've been exposed to a
lot.

I got the Microsoft Architectures book and quickly discarded it as useless and a
huge ripoff.

I read the ExamCram2 book, which was pretty useful in providing a structure for
thinking. Then I got Transcender, MeasureUp and Self-Test and took all of their
tests. Every time I missed a question (or even if I got it right through lucky
guessing) I went to the part of the Microsoft Documentation that was referenced
and read not only that specific section but whatever super-section it was
contained in. After one pass through all of the tests and reading all the
documentation I then started taking the practice tests over and over until I got
a perfect score.

This took me about three months. I'm afraid I get tired easily!

Even after all of that the actual test made me really sweat.

One thing I found different on the real test, which I liked, was that they had a
time limit for each of the three sections, so I didn't have to guess how much
time to devote to each. The practice tests didn't do it that way.

Even if the certification itself doesn't help me get a job, I can say that it's
been a very worthwhile learning experience.

Best,

Mike

JJG 08-14-2003 06:12 PM

Just got my MCSD

<<Even if the certification itself doesn't help me get a
job, I can say that it's
been a very worthwhile learning experience.

This is the only reason I pursue the MS certs, it's just a
roadmap to learn the .NET core, and even then it's just
and eye-bird view of the whole technology.
Congratulations, and welcome to the not-so-exclusive
MCSD.NET club ;->

As a side note:
In my opinion MS should include to the MCSD.NET track a
really good exam on object-oriented programming & design,
maybe some winxx server exams and create a MC Solution
Architect track.

a Guy MCSD.NET

General Protection Fault 08-15-2003 04:51 PM

Re: Just got my MCSD

Were there lots of questions about MSF, or that required knowledge of it?

Thanks

Mike Maddux 08-15-2003 08:17 PM

Re: Just got my MCSD

There were no questions explicitly about MSF, but many questions required
familiarilty with it, I would say.

Mike

In article <eTPA010YDHA.2404@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, General Protection Fault
says...