Velocity Reviews

-   -   Help! Weird issue with my 20d (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t428440-help-weird-issue-with-my-20d.html)

Dean Hummel 08-15-2006 12:59 AM

Help! Weird issue with my 20d

Hello,

I recently bought a used 20d. Takes great pictures, but there's 3
weird issues with the camera..

1) When you take pictures with it, sometimes the shots remaining starts
to blink. If you shut the camera off it still blinks the shots
remaining.

2) It has some weird USB behaviour. A Mac will not recognize it at all.
Windows XP, 2000 and NT will see a USB device, but identifies it as a
"DCP device". Yes, I tried it in PTP, and Normal mode. What's even more
interesting is what happens under Linux: when I hook the camera up to
my Linux box, I see the following in /var/log/messages:

usb 1-3: new device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
usb 1-3: Product: DCP CONNECT
usb 1-3: Manufacturer: Canon Inc.

and it is not mounted,

My friend's 20D gets mounted as a removable drive.

usb 1-3: new device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
usb 1-3: Product: Canon Digital Camera
usb 1-3: Manufacturer: Canon Inc.

3) Finally, on one occasion it displayed "BUSY" when you try to use it.
It seems re-seating the CF card fixed that.

Both cameras have firmware 2.0.3 (as does mine), both are using a 2G
Sandisk Ultra II
card.

I spoke to Canon today about this. They claim "DCP" is a "service mode"
for the camera that is used when technicians service the equipment.
This matches what the seller said that the camera was serviced prior to
selling.

Canon claims that only a technician can "undo" this setting, so I have
to send it in.

Has anyone on the list encountered this problem and is there a way to
reset the camera to normal operation?

Dean

Jay Beckman 08-15-2006 01:37 AM

Re: Help! Weird issue with my 20d

"Dean Hummel" <rassclaht2@rogers.com> wrote in message
news:1155603595.775203.28390@b28g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...

> Hello,
>
> I recently bought a used 20d. Takes great pictures, but there's 3
> weird issues with the camera..
>
> 1) When you take pictures with it, sometimes the shots remaining starts
> to blink. If you shut the camera off it still blinks the shots
> remaining.

Sorry, can't help with the connectivity issues but as far as the blinking
display goes, simply turn the camera off, remove the battery, count to five,
reinsert the battery, power on and go.

Jay

Jim Townsend 08-15-2006 02:57 AM

Dean Hummel wrote:

> 2) It has some weird USB behaviour. A Mac will not recognize it at all.
> Windows XP, 2000 and NT will see a USB device, but identifies it as a
> "DCP device". Yes, I tried it in PTP, and Normal mode. What's even more
> interesting is what happens under Linux: when I hook the camera up to
> my Linux box, I see the following in /var/log/messages:
>

> usb 1-3: new device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
> usb 1-3: Product: DCP CONNECT
> usb 1-3: Manufacturer: Canon Inc.
>
> and it is not mounted,
>
> My friend's 20D gets mounted as a removable drive.
>
> usb 1-3: new device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
> usb 1-3: Product: Canon Digital Camera
> usb 1-3: Manufacturer: Canon Inc.

Canon cameras don't support USB mass storage. As a result they CAN'T
be mounted as a removable drive.

They're protocol driven. This means there must be a set of commands
exchanged between the camera and the computer it's connected to in order
to list the images on the media and to copy or delete them.

Windows XP (and its kin) give the *appearance* that the camera is mounted
by providing an explorer window and showing the image icons. This
is actually slight-of-hand.

Windows is communicating with the camera using the Picture Transfer Protocol
command set. It only appears to be a drive. Note that you can't checkdisk
and/or format like you could with a true mounted drive.

With Linux you need to run a utility like gphoto2 http://www.gphoto.org/

This provides the command set required for the computer to communicate with a
non mountable camera. A GUI front end for gphoto2, like GTkam provides an
interface similar to what you see in windows. http://www.gphoto.org/proj/gtkam/

I run Linux and find the best way to manage files is to use a USB compact
flash card reader. They CAN be mounted like a drive. They only cost 20 bucks :)

Most modern Linux distros will automount a flash card reader when it's plugged
in and open a window for you. (Mandriva linux has done this for several
years now).