Velocity Reviews

-   -   B&H down? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t428221-b-and-h-down.html)

ink 08-05-2006 10:58 AM

B&H down?

What's up with the B&H website? Is the NYC power outage still having its
effects?

Cheers,
ink

Joseph Meehan 08-05-2006 11:33 AM

Re: B&H down?

ink wrote:
> What's up with the B&H website? Is the NYC power outage still having
> its effects?
>
> Cheers,
> ink

Yea, it seems to be down. I ran into several regular dependable sites
down yesterday.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

ink 08-05-2006 11:37 AM

Re: B&H down?

"Joseph Meehan" <sligojoe_Spamno@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:im%Ag.44558$vl5.35978@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com. ..
> ink wrote:
>> What's up with the B&H website? Is the NYC power outage still having
>> its effects?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> ink

> Yea, it seems to be down. I ran into several regular dependable sites
> down yesterday.

Thanks, Joseph! So it wasn't just the voices suddenly shutting up :-)

Cheers,
ink

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) 08-05-2006 01:34 PM

Re: B&H down?

On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 11:33:34 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Joseph Meehan"
<sligojoe_Spamno@hotmail.com> wrote:

>ink wrote:
>> What's up with the B&H website? Is the NYC power outage still having
>> its effects?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> ink

> Yea, it seems to be down. I ran into several regular dependable sites
>down yesterday.

Seems to be more of a dns issue. I can't get an ip back from the Cox dns
servers.
--
Ed Ruf (Usenet2@EdwardG.Ruf.com)

Sheldon 08-05-2006 07:31 PM

Re: B&H down?

"ink" <someone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> What's up with the B&H website? Is the NYC power outage still having its
> effects?
>
> Cheers,
> ink

Their site is usually up all the time, but keep in mind today is the Sabbath
so there may not be anybody working on it.

Dave 08-06-2006 03:33 AM

Re: B&H down?

On Sat, 5 Aug 2006 12:58:41 +0200, "ink" <someone@nowhere.com> wrote:

>What's up with the B&H website? Is the NYC power outage still having its
>effects?
>
>Cheers,
>ink

Doesn't B&H stop operation each week about this time?

Dave
East Englewood

The proof is in the print.

ASAAR 08-06-2006 04:15 AM

Re: B&H down?

On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 23:33:07 -0400, Dave wrote:

> Doesn't B&H stop operation each week about this time?

Yes, but their web servers remain at least partially operational.

J. Clarke 08-06-2006 04:16 AM

Re: B&H down?

Dave wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Aug 2006 12:58:41 +0200, "ink" <someone@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>>What's up with the B&H website? Is the NYC power outage still having its
>>effects?
>>
>>Cheers,
>>ink

> Doesn't B&H stop operation each week about this time?

They stop accepting orders but they do not take down their servers.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Gary Edstrom 08-06-2006 04:22 AM

Re: B&H down?

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 00:15:34 -0400, ASAAR <caught@22.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 23:33:07 -0400, Dave wrote:
>
>> Doesn't B&H stop operation each week about this time?

> Yes, but their web servers remain at least partially operational.

When I tried to access them on Thursday, they had a notice up that they
were having power problems to their servers. I assume that the message
was coming from an alternate site.

Gary Edstrom

ASAAR 08-06-2006 05:04 AM

Re: B&H down?

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 04:22:26 GMT, Gary Edstrom wrote:

>>> Doesn't B&H stop operation each week about this time?

>> Yes, but their web servers remain at least partially operational.

> When I tried to access them on Thursday, they had a notice up that they
> were having power problems to their servers. I assume that the message
> was coming from an alternate site.

Could be. Or B&H could have taken most of their disk drives off
line for protection, and left a minimal system running with the
notice. Their location is in that strip of Manhattan that the city
and/or ConEd indicated was at greatest risk during the heat wave,
and asked for voluntary power usage cutbacks. Con Ed may have done
some preemptive power reductions in that area, too. I didn't notice
any flickering or brownouts, but there were some power failures in
parts of each of the city's boroughs.