Velocity Reviews

-   -   Q: Automatic data transfer/image banks (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t428031-q-automatic-data-transfer-image-banks.html)

Zen Diver 07-25-2006 11:57 AM

Q: Automatic data transfer/image banks

Hi I've not posted here before but I have lurked on and off for a number
of years.

My sister is getting married next year and no I am most definitely not
taking the photos, I'm not that stupid. However she has asked me to
look into ways of quickly grabbing photos from her guests cameras.

I would like to know if anybody out there knows of any software that
will allow automatic or one button copying of the contents of a memory
card.

Failing that are there any portable image bank devices that offer a
similar function? Keeping in mind that this will be for many different
cameras and media types and I don't want any files overwriting others.

I had a quick look and found a couple of press releases from Teac for
such a device but there must be more out there.

Any recommendations welcome
thanks

jon

Joan 07-25-2006 12:26 PM

Re: Automatic data transfer/image banks

www.vosonic.com

Check out the XsDrives. You put in a card and open a menu and select
full backup. The system creates a folder for each card copied.

--
Joan

:

Shawn Hirn 07-25-2006 03:26 PM

Re: Q: Automatic data transfer/image banks

In article <eaOdnQoiD5uFmlvZnZ2dnUVZ8qudnZ2d@pipex.net>,
Zen Diver <spicedhamme@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi I've not posted here before but I have lurked on and off for a number
> of years.
>
> My sister is getting married next year and no I am most definitely not
> taking the photos, I'm not that stupid. However she has asked me to
> look into ways of quickly grabbing photos from her guests cameras.
>
> I would like to know if anybody out there knows of any software that
> will allow automatic or one button copying of the contents of a memory
> card.
>
> Failing that are there any portable image bank devices that offer a
> similar function? Keeping in mind that this will be for many different
> cameras and media types and I don't want any files overwriting others.
>
> I had a quick look and found a couple of press releases from Teac for
> such a device but there must be more out there.
>
> Any recommendations welcome
> thanks
>
> jon

Why not just bring a laptop with a card reader to the wedding. I am sure
that someone in the wedding party has a laptop with a built-in optical
disc burner that can be used for this purpose, or a friend who can lend
one. When the photos are collected, just burn them to CD or DVD.

Zen Diver 07-26-2006 11:12 AM

Shawn Hirn wrote:

> Why not just bring a laptop with a card reader to the wedding. I am sure
> that someone in the wedding party has a laptop with a built-in optical
> disc burner that can be used for this purpose, or a friend who can lend
> one. When the photos are collected, just burn them to CD or DVD.

The hardware is not a problem. I was just wondering if there is a
software solution to automate the process of copying the files across.
ie. guest inserts card in reader. Software recognises new card, creates
a new directory and copies data.

The dedicated image bank is looking like a more promising simple
solution at the moment and I dare say will be well within the modern
wedding budget.

jon

J. Clarke 07-26-2006 12:18 PM

Zen Diver wrote:

> Shawn Hirn wrote:
>

>> Why not just bring a laptop with a card reader to the wedding. I am sure
>> that someone in the wedding party has a laptop with a built-in optical
>> disc burner that can be used for this purpose, or a friend who can lend
>> one. When the photos are collected, just burn them to CD or DVD.

> The hardware is not a problem. I was just wondering if there is a
> software solution to automate the process of copying the files across.
> ie. guest inserts card in reader. Software recognises new card, creates
> a new directory and copies data.
>
> The dedicated image bank is looking like a more promising simple
> solution at the moment and I dare say will be well within the modern
> wedding budget.

Windows by default brings up a window that asks what application to run when
a new card is inserted. No reason that application can't be a batch file
that makes a directory and copies the files over.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Michael Meissner 07-26-2006 03:13 PM

Zen Diver <spicedhamme@yahoo.com> writes:

> Shawn Hirn wrote:
>
> > Why not just bring a laptop with a card reader to the wedding. I am sure that
> > someone in the wedding party has a laptop with a built-in optical disc burner
> > that can be used for this purpose, or a friend who can lend one. When the
> > photos are collected, just burn them to CD or DVD.

> The hardware is not a problem. I was just wondering if there is a software
> solution to automate the process of copying the files across. ie. guest inserts
> card in reader. Software recognises new card, creates a new directory and
> copies data.
>
> The dedicated image bank is looking like a more promising simple solution at
> the moment and I dare say will be well within the modern wedding budget.

Some of the dedicated portable storage devices like the Jobo Giga Vu Pro (& the
new Evolution which might ship eventually) can be configured so that when you
put in the card it automatically copies & verifies the card without having to
press a button. I think the Jobo can also be configured to delete all of the
files on the card after doing the copying, but I tend to prefer having enough
cards so I can do a whole days shoot without having to reformat the card during
the day -- that way I have the image in two places (card and psd).

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org

AustinMN 07-26-2006 07:02 PM

Zen Diver wrote:
> Hi I've not posted here before but I have lurked on and off for a number
> of years.
>
> My sister is getting married next year and no I am most definitely not
> taking the photos, I'm not that stupid. However she has asked me to
> look into ways of quickly grabbing photos from her guests cameras.
>
> I would like to know if anybody out there knows of any software that
> will allow automatic or one button copying of the contents of a memory
> card.
>
> Failing that are there any portable image bank devices that offer a
> similar function? Keeping in mind that this will be for many different
> cameras and media types and I don't want any files overwriting others.
>
> I had a quick look and found a couple of press releases from Teac for
> such a device but there must be more out there.

Anybody interested in explaining any of the copyright issues to him?

Austin

Bill Funk 07-26-2006 07:56 PM

Re: Q: Automatic data transfer/image banks

On 26 Jul 2006 12:02:56 -0700, "AustinMN" <tacooper260@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Zen Diver wrote:
>> Hi I've not posted here before but I have lurked on and off for a number
>> of years.
>>
>> My sister is getting married next year and no I am most definitely not
>> taking the photos, I'm not that stupid. However she has asked me to
>> look into ways of quickly grabbing photos from her guests cameras.
>>
>> I would like to know if anybody out there knows of any software that
>> will allow automatic or one button copying of the contents of a memory
>> card.
>>
>> Failing that are there any portable image bank devices that offer a
>> similar function? Keeping in mind that this will be for many different
>> cameras and media types and I don't want any files overwriting others.
>>
>> I had a quick look and found a couple of press releases from Teac for
>> such a device but there must be more out there.

>Anybody interested in explaining any of the copyright issues to him?
>
>Austin

An interesting point.
Quite possibly, the act of asking for the images to be used for the
couple's wedding photo book, and the visitors' giving those images,
would constitute the giving of rights to the couple.
Then again, I've not thought about it much.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

John McWilliams 07-26-2006 10:27 PM

On 7/26/06 12:56 PM, Bill Funk wrote:
> On 26 Jul 2006 12:02:56 -0700, "AustinMN" <tacooper260@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Zen Diver wrote:
>>> Hi I've not posted here before but I have lurked on and off for a number
>>> of years.
>>>
>>> My sister is getting married next year and no I am most definitely not
>>> taking the photos, I'm not that stupid. However she has asked me to
>>> look into ways of quickly grabbing photos from her guests cameras.
>>>
>>> I would like to know if anybody out there knows of any software that
>>> will allow automatic or one button copying of the contents of a memory
>>> card.
>>>
>>> Failing that are there any portable image bank devices that offer a
>>> similar function? Keeping in mind that this will be for many different
>>> cameras and media types and I don't want any files overwriting others.
>>>
>>> I had a quick look and found a couple of press releases from Teac for
>>> such a device but there must be more out there.

>> Anybody interested in explaining any of the copyright issues to him?
>>
>> Austin

> An interesting point.
> Quite possibly, the act of asking for the images to be used for the
> couple's wedding photo book, and the visitors' giving those images,
> would constitute the giving of rights to the couple.
> Then again, I've not thought about it much.

With wedding guests this litigious, it'd be best to have them sign
releases to the digital images they are producing, as well as for images
of them that others take.... and such a form should also include release
from liability if any injure themselves at, or to or from, the
reception, rehearsal dinner, wedding and any other related function. And
don't forget food poisoning, or allergic reactions to the flowers, or.....

--
john mcwilliams

Zen Diver 07-28-2006 11:53 AM

Re: Q: Automatic data transfer/image banks

>>> Anybody interested in explaining any of the copyright issues to him?
>>>
>>> Austin

>> An interesting point.
>> Quite possibly, the act of asking for the images to be used for the
>> couple's wedding photo book, and the visitors' giving those images,
>> would constitute the giving of rights to the couple.
>> Then again, I've not thought about it much.

> With wedding guests this litigious, it'd be best to have them sign
> releases to the digital images they are producing, as well as for images
> of them that others take.... and such a form should also include release
> from liability if any injure themselves at, or to or from, the
> reception, rehearsal dinner, wedding and any other related function. And
> don't forget food poisoning, or allergic reactions to the flowers, or.....

My brother has just finished a degree in law. I think we'll skirt round
the issue of copyright by wording the invitations correctly. Something
along the lines of a contract of employment. IIRC if you make images as
part of your job the rights are those of the employer. Therefore under
the job description of wedding guest they are producing images as part
of that job.

Another option would be to go all Open Source on them.

Fortunately this is all going to happen in the UK where we don't all
carry lawyers around in our pockets just in case we do something stupid
that we can blame on someone else.

Anyway
Thanks for the input

jon