Velocity Reviews

-   -   Canon digital camera - how to mount on OS X desktop (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t428005-canon-digital-camera-how-to-mount-on-os-x-desktop.html)

Tim 07-24-2006 12:32 AM

Canon digital camera - how to mount on OS X desktop

I have a Canon Powershot A620 which I'm trying to transfer photos from
using the included USB cable. I can use the Canon software to transfer
the pictures but I'd rather just mount the camera on my OS X desktop and
drag the images to the hard drive. I used to be able to transfer
pictures from my old Nikon that way. Any idea how to mount the camera on
the desktop?

Thanks.

Marc Heusser 07-24-2006 12:50 AM

Re: Canon digital camera - how to mount on OS X desktop

In article <tim-895A04.20324623072006@news.giganews.com>,
Tim <tim@nospam.org.com> wrote:

> I have a Canon Powershot A620 which I'm trying to transfer photos from
> using the included USB cable. I can use the Canon software to transfer
> the pictures but I'd rather just mount the camera on my OS X desktop and
> drag the images to the hard drive. I used to be able to transfer
> pictures from my old Nikon that way. Any idea how to mount the camera on
> the desktop?

You'd have to have the camera play a hard drive.

I think you can set it either to P2P or Mass storage - as far as I
remember both work with my Nikon.

And prevent Mac OS X from opening iPhoto (unless you want to have iPhoto
copy the photos to your Mac).

From iPhoto Help:
iPhoto works with Image Capture, an application included with Mac OS X,
to transfer pictures from your digital camera to your photo library.
When you open iPhoto for the first time, you're asked if you want iPhoto
to open each time you connect a camera to your computer. You can also
choose a different application.
To choose the application that opens:
1. Make sure no cameras are connected to your computer.
2. Open Image Capture (in your Applications folder).
3. Choose Image Capture > Preferences.
4. Click General at the top of the Preferences window and choose an
application from the pop-up menu.

HTH

Marc

--
Switzerland/Europe
<http://www.heusser.com>

WT 07-24-2006 12:58 AM

Re: Canon digital camera - how to mount on OS X desktop

> I have a Canon Powershot A620 which I'm trying to transfer photos from
> using the included USB cable. I can use the Canon software to transfer
> the pictures but I'd rather just mount the camera on my OS X desktop and
> drag the images to the hard drive. I used to be able to transfer
> pictures from my old Nikon that way. Any idea how to mount the camera on
> the desktop?

If OS X is not seeing the usb device, perhaps try a Mac driver for that
camera. Or just use a card reader. Most people find them cheap and
more convenient. Are you trying to use the computer to control the
camera? If so, you need remote control software for OS X and your
camera.

Jim Townsend 07-24-2006 02:18 AM

Tim wrote:

> I have a Canon Powershot A620 which I'm trying to transfer photos from
> using the included USB cable. I can use the Canon software to transfer
> the pictures but I'd rather just mount the camera on my OS X desktop and
> drag the images to the hard drive. I used to be able to transfer
> pictures from my old Nikon that way. Any idea how to mount the camera on
> the desktop?

Canon cameras can't be treated as external drives. For some
reason Canon doesn't want to support USB mass storage. (There
are other cameras brands that take this approach as well).

Canon has its own protocol (usually called 'Normal' in the camera
menu under 'Communications') most newer cameras also have the widely
supported PTP protocol. (Picture Transfer Protocol).

It appears OSX supports PTP (sorry for the long URL.. depending on
your reader, you might have to fix the line wrap).

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&keycode=macdr

The best way by far is to pick up a USB card reader. You can
plug these into any modern computer. They only cost about 15
bucks for a basic one. You pay a bit more for USB2 but not
that much.

John McWilliams 07-24-2006 02:26 AM

On 7/23/06 5:58 PM, WT wrote:
>> I have a Canon Powershot A620 which I'm trying to transfer photos from
>> using the included USB cable. I can use the Canon software to transfer
>> the pictures but I'd rather just mount the camera on my OS X desktop and
>> drag the images to the hard drive. I used to be able to transfer
>> pictures from my old Nikon that way. Any idea how to mount the camera on
>> the desktop?

> If OS X is not seeing the usb device, perhaps try a Mac driver for that
> camera. Or just use a card reader. Most people find them cheap and
> more convenient. Are you trying to use the computer to control the
> camera? If so, you need remote control software for OS X and your
> camera.

It's always helpful to state what version of osX- or other software- one
is using as well as machine.

A card reader with Image Capture is the most convenient way I have
found. That'll put the images in a folder of your choice in a location
of your choice, and from there to PS, GraphicConverter, iPhoto, or
Lightroom are good choices.

When I checked a month or so ago, Canon didn't seem to have updated
their software to be compatible with the MacBookPro, or maybe not the
version of 10.4.6/7 I am running.

--
John McWilliams

Marc Heusser 07-24-2006 02:26 AM

Re: Canon digital camera - how to mount on OS X desktop

In article <nospam-F6B602.19583523072006@shawnews>,
WT <nospam@please.ok> wrote:

> > I have a Canon Powershot A620 which I'm trying to transfer photos from
> > using the included USB cable. ...

> If OS X is not seeing the usb device, perhaps try a Mac driver for that
> camera. ...

OS X supports A420, A530, and A700 - the A620 should be sufficiently
similar, and has a USB 2.0 connection. It should work without drivers, I
hope.

Marc

Martin Sammtleben 07-24-2006 10:33 AM

Re: Canon digital camera - how to mount on OS X desktop

In article <RoGdnTZfresnslnZnZ2dnUVZ_sidnZ2d@comcast.com>,
John McWilliams <jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote:

> A card reader with Image Capture is the most convenient way I have
> found. That'll put the images in a folder of your choice in a location
> of your choice, and from there to PS, GraphicConverter, iPhoto, or
> Lightroom are good choices.

No matter whether you go for a card reader or the camera cable, Image
Capture and iPhoto have the added benefit of being able to embed a color
profile during import which will prove helpful when editing/printing.
You don't get that normally when manually pulling images off a mounted
card/camera.

--
Cheers Martin

Shawn Hirn 07-24-2006 07:16 PM

Tim <tim@nospam.org.com> wrote:

> I have a Canon Powershot A620 which I'm trying to transfer photos from
> using the included USB cable. I can use the Canon software to transfer
> the pictures but I'd rather just mount the camera on my OS X desktop and
> drag the images to the hard drive. I used to be able to transfer
> pictures from my old Nikon that way. Any idea how to mount the camera on
> the desktop?
>
> Thanks.

Speaking as a long time Canon digital camera owner who uses Mac OS X,
save yourself a lot of trouble and buy a card reader. 'Nuf said.

aRKay 07-24-2006 11:26 PM

Re: Canon digital camera - how to mount on OS X desktop

In article <srhi-33FFAB.15162924072006@news.giganews.com>,
Shawn Hirn <srhi@comcast.net> wrote:

> In article <tim-895A04.20324623072006@news.giganews.com>,
> Tim <tim@nospam.org.com> wrote:
>
> > I have a Canon Powershot A620 which I'm trying to transfer photos from
> > using the included USB cable. I can use the Canon software to transfer
> > the pictures but I'd rather just mount the camera on my OS X desktop and
> > drag the images to the hard drive. I used to be able to transfer
> > pictures from my old Nikon that way. Any idea how to mount the camera on
> > the desktop?
> >
> > Thanks.

> Speaking as a long time Canon digital camera owner who uses Mac OS X,
> save yourself a lot of trouble and buy a card reader. 'Nuf said.

I agree with buying a card reader but I have used the cable with my
Canon SD-410. When you attach a cable or card, the Mac OSX opens iPhoto
and gives you the option to import the pictures. Let iPhoto do its
thing then drag them where you want if you don't like iPhoto.

The Mac OSX iPhoto works great with Canon digital cameras.

John McWilliams 07-24-2006 11:36 PM

On 7/24/06 4:26 PM, aRKay wrote:
> In article <srhi-33FFAB.15162924072006@news.giganews.com>,
> Shawn Hirn <srhi@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> In article <tim-895A04.20324623072006@news.giganews.com>,
>> Tim <tim@nospam.org.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I have a Canon Powershot A620 which I'm trying to transfer photos from
>>> using the included USB cable. I can use the Canon software to transfer
>>> the pictures but I'd rather just mount the camera on my OS X desktop and
>>> drag the images to the hard drive. I used to be able to transfer
>>> pictures from my old Nikon that way. Any idea how to mount the camera on
>>> the desktop?
>>>
>>> Thanks.

>> Speaking as a long time Canon digital camera owner who uses Mac OS X,
>> save yourself a lot of trouble and buy a card reader. 'Nuf said.

> I agree with buying a card reader but I have used the cable with my
> Canon SD-410. When you attach a cable or card, the Mac OSX opens iPhoto
> and gives you the option to import the pictures. Let iPhoto do its
> thing then drag them where you want if you don't like iPhoto.
>
> The Mac OSX iPhoto works great with Canon digital cameras.

What version and what machine, please?

--
John McWilliams