Velocity Reviews

-   -   How was this photo created? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t425848-how-was-this-photo-created.html)

brett 05-23-2006 04:45 AM

How was this photo created?

How are photos such as this one created?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeremycowart/29402198/

The background is a kind of blur while the foreground is extremely
crisp and has different light. It looks as though the foreground
subject was almost pasted into the photo. Is that just f-stop or is
there more to it?

If any one has seen the movie 'High Art', there were a few of these
types of photos on the apartment walls.

Thanks,
Brett

BD 05-23-2006 05:15 AM

Re: How was this photo created?

Yep, that's just the natural result of using a rather wide aperture. If
that shot was taken at a fairly low f-stop, then this effect will
result.

As to lighting, it is very overcast, but I'd say some minor adjustment
to the color balance has been made. There does not seem to be much blue
in the image; the sky is almost completely grey.

Notice also that the outermost area of the image is slightly darker.
This is called 'vignetting', and is an adjustment that can be done in
various software packages.

Barry L. Wallis 05-23-2006 05:16 AM

brett wrote:
> How are photos such as this one created?
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeremycowart/29402198/
>
> The background is a kind of blur while the foreground is extremely
> crisp and has different light. It looks as though the foreground
> subject was almost pasted into the photo. Is that just f-stop or is
> there more to it?
>
> If any one has seen the movie 'High Art', there were a few of these
> types of photos on the apartment walls.

I've done something similar in the Gimp by selecting the subject,
inverting the selection and using a Gaussian blur on the background. You
can see the original here:
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/barrywallis/125316278/> and the edited
version here: <http://www.flickr.com/photos/barrywallis/151711780/>.

--
- Barry

brett 05-23-2006 05:19 AM

Re: How was this photo created?

Thanks. That's pretty neat editing. I can see the wings have a type
of glow around them, which the clear foreground subjects seem to always
adopt.

Thanks on the tips. I'll be trying it.

Brett

brett 05-23-2006 05:43 AM

Re: How was this photo created?

Would this be the same kind of thing or is that just f-stop:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gazowana/3653794/

Brett

Neil Ellwood 05-23-2006 06:10 AM

On Mon, 22 May 2006 21:45:51 -0700, brett wrote:

> How are photos such as this one created?
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeremycowart/29402198/
>
> The background is a kind of blur while the foreground is extremely crisp
> and has different light. It looks as though the foreground subject was
> almost pasted into the photo. Is that just f-stop or is there more to it?
>
> If any one has seen the movie 'High Art', there were a few of these types
> of photos on the apartment walls.
>
> Thanks,
> Brett

Differential focusing. Use a large aperture and focus on the subject.
--
Neil
Delete 'l' to reply

MarkČ 05-23-2006 06:16 AM

brett wrote:
> How are photos such as this one created?
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeremycowart/29402198/
>
> The background is a kind of blur while the foreground is extremely
> crisp and has different light. It looks as though the foreground
> subject was almost pasted into the photo. Is that just f-stop or is
> there more to it?
>
> If any one has seen the movie 'High Art', there were a few of these
> types of photos on the apartment walls.
>
> Thanks,
> Brett

-Shallow depth of field via large aperture.
-Either a lens that vignettes heavily...or a software darkening of the
edges.

www.pbase.com/markuson

Ron Hunter 05-23-2006 08:09 AM

brett wrote:
> Would this be the same kind of thing or is that just f-stop:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/gazowana/3653794/
>
> Brett

My guess is that the large white wall portion on the right affected the
focus, and the exposure was shot a bit underexposed because of that
resulting in a poor depth of field. Just not a good picture with a
rather diffuse foreground subject matter. Lots of other ways to get the
same effect...

Barry L. Wallis 05-23-2006 01:12 PM

brett wrote:
> Would this be the same kind of thing or is that just f-stop:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/gazowana/3653794/

It looks like depth of field to me (i.e., f-stop). I don't use Photoshop
but it has the ability to do what you want by simulating depth of field
from a particular point.

--
- Barry as TDC Sorcerer
- Magical Manager of the Mysteriously Missing Main Street Magic Shop

2 05-23-2006 02:28 PM

"brett" <account@cygen.com> wrote in message
news:1148359551.795050.138510@38g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
> How are photos such as this one created?
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeremycowart/29402198/

Shot with a normal-to-long lens, at a wide aperture.