Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Digital Photography (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f37-digital-photography.html)
-   -   Flash Power Pack (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t425737-flash-power-pack.html)

Somewhere Nowhere 05-17-2006 02:01 PM

Flash Power Pack
 
Anyone using Alan Jacobson's "Black Box?"

http://www.aljacobs.com/THE%20BLACK%20BOX.htm

I'd like to hear some reviews.

I am sick of carring all those AA batteries!!

Thanks

Brian
--
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brian J. Rueger | Hampton Div. of Fire & Rescue | "Who dares wins"
Capt./Paramedic | Fire Communications Officer | Hampton, VA.
B.S.Comm/I/Pilot | MSgt, USAF (Ret.) 49199 | NREMT-P
Check out my personal home page: http://members.cox.net/brueger
Check out my photography: http://www.usefilm.com/member/skypilot
"Life's too short to drink LITE beer!"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 05-17-2006 02:57 PM

Re: Flash Power Pack
 
"Somewhere Nowhere" <skypilot@writeme.com> wrote in message
news:loam6255r0bu8me7mvfm95kffkt5jdrbre@4ax.com...
> Anyone using Alan Jacobson's "Black Box?"
>
> http://www.aljacobs.com/THE%20BLACK%20BOX.htm


Hi, Sarge: Jacobson is a straight shooter. I'll bet if you write or call
him he will repeat his warantee in a most convincing, strident manner. I'd
buy his box in a heartbeat if I needed it.

With no disrespect to AJ, my military experience tells me that a
rocker-switch could be an issue - one doesn't want to accidently roll it off
while on task. Just put a piece of Gaffer's tape over it and be happy.



Bill Hilton 05-17-2006 03:14 PM

Re: Flash Power Pack
 
> Somewhere Nowhere asks ...
>
>Anyone using Alan Jacobson's "Black Box?"


How do these compare to the Quantum Turbo and 2x2 packs? Just skimming
thru the spec it seems this one is about 3x slower on a full dump yet
is much heavier ... heavier with less power ... hmmm ...

Bill


Floyd L. Davidson 05-17-2006 03:29 PM

Re: Flash Power Pack
 
Somewhere Nowhere <skypilot@writeme.com> wrote:
>Anyone using Alan Jacobson's "Black Box?"
>
>http://www.aljacobs.com/THE%20BLACK%20BOX.htm
>
>I'd like to hear some reviews.
>
>I am sick of carring all those AA batteries!!
>
>Thanks
>
>Brian


After trying to read th above webpage to learn something about
that unit, it was fairly clear to me that I should stick with
Quantum products.

http://www.qtm.com/

--
Floyd L. Davidson <http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson>
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd@apaflo.com

Matt Clara 05-17-2006 09:56 PM

Re: Flash Power Pack
 
"Bill Hilton" <bhilton665@aol.com> wrote in message
news:1147878845.310035.176370@j55g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
>> Somewhere Nowhere asks ...
>>
>>Anyone using Alan Jacobson's "Black Box?"

>
> How do these compare to the Quantum Turbo and 2x2 packs? Just skimming
> thru the spec it seems this one is about 3x slower on a full dump yet
> is much heavier ... heavier with less power ... hmmm ...
>
> Bill
>


You didn't read carefully enough. They are slower, but not because of less
over-all power. Al's black box says it'll deliver over 1000 flashes on a
single charge--that's plenty of power. And he says, if you really need the
speed, look elsewhere.

--
Regards,
Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com



Somewhere Nowhere 05-17-2006 09:57 PM

Re: Flash Power Pack
 
On 17 May 2006 08:14:05 -0700, "Bill Hilton" <bhilton665@aol.com>
wrote:

>> Somewhere Nowhere asks ...
>>
>>Anyone using Alan Jacobson's "Black Box?"

>
>How do these compare to the Quantum Turbo and 2x2 packs? Just skimming
>thru the spec it seems this one is about 3x slower on a full dump yet
>is much heavier ... heavier with less power ... hmmm ...
>
>Bill



Bill,

If you look around Al's site you will see that his Black Box is not
bout speed, it's about longevity. Being a wedding shooter, I am more
concerned about not having to stop to change those damn AAs. Hell, I
can always stage the kiss after the cermony.....

Brian
--
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brian J. Rueger | Hampton Div. of Fire & Rescue | "Who dares wins"
Capt./Paramedic | Fire Communications Officer | Hampton, VA.
B.S.Comm/I/Pilot | MSgt, USAF (Ret.) 49199 | NREMT-P
Check out my personal home page: http://members.cox.net/brueger
Check out my photography: http://www.usefilm.com/member/skypilot
"Life's too short to drink LITE beer!"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt Clara 05-17-2006 09:58 PM

Re: Flash Power Pack
 
"Somewhere Nowhere" <skypilot@writeme.com> wrote in message
news:loam6255r0bu8me7mvfm95kffkt5jdrbre@4ax.com...
> Anyone using Alan Jacobson's "Black Box?"
>
> http://www.aljacobs.com/THE%20BLACK%20BOX.htm
>
> I'd like to hear some reviews.
>
> I am sick of carring all those AA batteries!!
>
> Thanks
>
> Brian



Al's a great guy--he used to frequent the 35mm group. Very knowledgeable
and very helpful. I've not used any of his equipment, but I'm sure it does
exactly what he says it will.

--
Regards,
Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com



Somewhere Nowhere 05-17-2006 09:59 PM

Re: Flash Power Pack
 
On Wed, 17 May 2006 09:57:27 -0500, "2" <nhoj@droffats.ten> wrote:

>"Somewhere Nowhere" <skypilot@writeme.com> wrote in message
>news:loam6255r0bu8me7mvfm95kffkt5jdrbre@4ax.com.. .
>> Anyone using Alan Jacobson's "Black Box?"
>>
>> http://www.aljacobs.com/THE%20BLACK%20BOX.htm

>
>Hi, Sarge: Jacobson is a straight shooter. I'll bet if you write or call
>him he will repeat his warantee in a most convincing, strident manner. I'd
>buy his box in a heartbeat if I needed it.
>
>With no disrespect to AJ, my military experience tells me that a
>rocker-switch could be an issue - one doesn't want to accidently roll it off
>while on task. Just put a piece of Gaffer's tape over it and be happy.
>



Thanks, I have exchanged several e-mails with Alan. I will be
ordering one this week.

Brian

Flavius 05-18-2006 02:09 AM

Re: Flash Power Pack
 
I am a proud owner of one of Al's battery packs. In fact I picked it up from
him in person and he showed me all the steps and reasons for his
construction and design decisions. This pack has performed perfectly for me
in every regard, living up to all of Al's claims with precision. I am a
thoroughly satisfied customer. I am a professional photographer and while I
do *try* to take care of my equipment, all of it gets used HARD. This
battery has never failed me, even once. The recharge rates on my Vivitar
283s are fantastic (aprox. 1.2 seconds to FULL charge after a FULL
discharge). The recharge rates on my Olympus FL-50s are also very
impressive. Even on an all day wedding shoot I never ran out of power,
literally thousands of flashes on a single charge. Furthermore, Al's
personal service and dedication to the customer after the sale is second to
none.

JDR


"Somewhere Nowhere" <skypilot@writeme.com> wrote in message
news:loam6255r0bu8me7mvfm95kffkt5jdrbre@4ax.com...
> Anyone using Alan Jacobson's "Black Box?"
>
> http://www.aljacobs.com/THE%20BLACK%20BOX.htm
>
> I'd like to hear some reviews.
>
> I am sick of carring all those AA batteries!!
>
> Thanks
>
> Brian
> --
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------

-
> Brian J. Rueger | Hampton Div. of Fire & Rescue | "Who dares wins"
> Capt./Paramedic | Fire Communications Officer | Hampton, VA.
> B.S.Comm/I/Pilot | MSgt, USAF (Ret.) 49199 | NREMT-P
> Check out my personal home page: http://members.cox.net/brueger
> Check out my photography: http://www.usefilm.com/member/skypilot
> "Life's too short to drink LITE beer!"
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------

-



Michael Meissner 05-18-2006 03:56 AM

Re: Flash Power Pack
 
"Flavius" <jrobarts@sprynet.com> writes:

> I am a proud owner of one of Al's battery packs. In fact I picked it up from
> him in person and he showed me all the steps and reasons for his
> construction and design decisions. This pack has performed perfectly for me
> in every regard, living up to all of Al's claims with precision. I am a
> thoroughly satisfied customer. I am a professional photographer and while I
> do *try* to take care of my equipment, all of it gets used HARD. This
> battery has never failed me, even once. The recharge rates on my Vivitar
> 283s are fantastic (aprox. 1.2 seconds to FULL charge after a FULL
> discharge). The recharge rates on my Olympus FL-50s are also very
> impressive. Even on an all day wedding shoot I never ran out of power,
> literally thousands of flashes on a single charge. Furthermore, Al's
> personal service and dedication to the customer after the sale is second to
> none.


Out of curiousity, how did you connect the FL-50? Did you use the Quantum C05
cable or did you use the fake battery method?

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org
http://www.the-meissners.org


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.