Velocity Reviews

-   -   Olympus D-150; lens doesn't come out (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t425720-olympus-d-150-lens-doesnt-come-out.html)

Ron 05-16-2006 03:41 AM

Olympus D-150; lens doesn't come out

I got an old Olympus Camedia D-150 P&S at a yard sale. It seems to work
fine but it has a big problem. The lens is supposed to come out
automatically and the flash is supposed to pop up when you slide the
front cover back; that's "shooting mode." The lens only comes out after
many attempts (30-40?) at pulling the cover back and replacing it. The
flash pops up a little more often. The lower edge of the cover is
cracked. Anyone know of a way to fix this? Perhaps a way to pull the
cover off and look under it?

TIA,
Ron

Ken Weitzel 05-16-2006 03:57 AM

Re: Olympus D-150; lens doesn't come out

Ron wrote:
> I got an old Olympus Camedia D-150 P&S at a yard sale. It seems to work
> fine but it has a big problem. The lens is supposed to come out
> automatically and the flash is supposed to pop up when you slide the
> front cover back; that's "shooting mode." The lens only comes out after
> many attempts (30-40?) at pulling the cover back and replacing it. The
> flash pops up a little more often. The lower edge of the cover is
> cracked. Anyone know of a way to fix this? Perhaps a way to pull the
> cover off and look under it?
>
> TIA,

Hi Ron...

Dunno how much help it might be; but about a gazillion years
ago had a D-220 that did the same thing... but eventually
reached a point where it wouldn't turn on at all. (it didn't
have the pop up flash feature)

Quickly found that repair cost would cost more than it was
worth, so had a go at it.

Found that by putting the cover in about the middle of its
travel, I could work a very small (jewellers) screwdriver
in the slot at the *bottom* of the cover, and work the
bottom lip out of its track. From there it was easy to
completely remove it. Careful, there's a couple of very
tiny fragile wires in there, so separate the cover and body
slowly and gently.

Suggest putting a light towel on the kitchen table, lots of
light, kids in bed before you start. I vaguely remember a
ball bearing and a small spring that were anxious to escape :)

Once apart and in your hand, it should be (was to me) obvious
how a small lever switch on the body, and a couple of plastic
tabs on the cover interact, and hopefully how to cure it.

Good luck, and take care.

Ken

Ron 05-20-2006 05:30 PM

Ken Weitzel <kweitzel@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Ron wrote:
> > I got an old Olympus Camedia D-150 P&S at a yard sale. It seems to work
> > fine but it has a big problem. The lens is supposed to come out
> > automatically and the flash is supposed to pop up when you slide the
> > front cover back; that's "shooting mode." The lens only comes out after
> > many attempts (30-40?) at pulling the cover back and replacing it. The
> > flash pops up a little more often. The lower edge of the cover is
> > cracked. Anyone know of a way to fix this? Perhaps a way to pull the
> > cover off and look under it?
> >
> > TIA,

> Hi Ron...
>
> Dunno how much help it might be; but about a gazillion years
> ago had a D-220 that did the same thing... but eventually
> reached a point where it wouldn't turn on at all. (it didn't
> have the pop up flash feature)
>
> Quickly found that repair cost would cost more than it was
> worth, so had a go at it.
>
> Found that by putting the cover in about the middle of its
> travel, I could work a very small (jewellers) screwdriver
> in the slot at the *bottom* of the cover, and work the
> bottom lip out of its track. From there it was easy to
> completely remove it. Careful, there's a couple of very
> tiny fragile wires in there, so separate the cover and body
> slowly and gently.
>
> Suggest putting a light towel on the kitchen table, lots of
> light, kids in bed before you start. I vaguely remember a
> ball bearing and a small spring that were anxious to escape :)
>
> Once apart and in your hand, it should be (was to me) obvious
> how a small lever switch on the body, and a couple of plastic
> tabs on the cover interact, and hopefully how to cure it.
>
> Good luck, and take care.
>
> Ken

Ken,

Thanks for the info. I got lucky. The sliding lens cover had a crack. I
put scotch tape on the crack and now the lens pops out almost every time
I open the cover.

Cheers,
Ron