Velocity Reviews

-   -   OLED??? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t425709-oled.html)

dh@. 05-15-2006 05:43 PM

OLED???

Hi. How do you pronounce it? Will just a few companies manufacture
the display material itself, or will the electric print idea make it so
everyone can do it, or am I confusing different ideas? This is new to
me, and there's so much potential it's hard to know how to think
about the whole thing...

Thanks for any info!

David

Spehro Pefhany 05-15-2006 06:15 PM

Re: OLED???

On Mon, 15 May 2006 13:43:16 -0400, the renowned dh@. wrote:

>Hi. How do you pronounce it? Will just a few companies manufacture
>the display material itself, or will the electric print idea make it so
>everyone can do it, or am I confusing different ideas? This is new to
>me, and there's so much potential it's hard to know how to think
>about the whole thing...
>
>Thanks for any info!
>
>David

I imagine the number of companies producing the substrates will
eventually be fairly large, I don't think it's that much more
difficult than making good LCD panels. I'm pretty impressed with what
I've seen so far. No panacea, but it's a nice option.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com

john.spevacek@aspenresearch.com 05-15-2006 06:44 PM

Re: OLED???

I heard it with all four letters pronounced, just like the LED has all
three letters pronounced. Afterall, they roll off the tongue fairly
well, unlike say, WWW, which as three times the syllables of "world
wide web".

John
Aspen Research, - www.aspenresearch.com
"Turning Questions into Answers"

Opinions expressed herein are my own and may not represent those of my
employer.

Ed Chilada 05-16-2006 03:01 PM

Re: OLED???

On Mon, 15 May 2006 13:43:16 -0400, dh@. wrote:

>Hi. How do you pronounce it?

oh-led

surely.

dh@. 05-16-2006 04:02 PM

Re: OLED???

On Tue, 16 May 2006 16:01:34 +0100, Ed Chilada <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 15 May 2006 13:43:16 -0400, dh@. wrote:
>
>>Hi. How do you pronounce it?

>oh-led
>
>surely.

That seems right to me, but I wonder how they would
verbally differentiate between FOLED and PHOLED.
It's hard to find people who are very familiar with this
stuff...which may be a good thing.

Roy L. Fuchs 05-17-2006 06:32 AM

Re: OLED???

On Mon, 15 May 2006 14:15:39 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
<speffSNIP@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> Gave us:

>On Mon, 15 May 2006 13:43:16 -0400, the renowned dh@. wrote:
>
>>Hi. How do you pronounce it? Will just a few companies manufacture
>>the display material itself, or will the electric print idea make it so
>>everyone can do it, or am I confusing different ideas? This is new to
>>me, and there's so much potential it's hard to know how to think
>>about the whole thing...
>>
>>Thanks for any info!
>>
>>David

>I imagine the number of companies producing the substrates will
>eventually be fairly large, I don't think it's that much more
>difficult than making good LCD panels. I'm pretty impressed with what
>I've seen so far. No panacea, but it's a nice option.

You are't very bright. The technology is entirely different than
LCD manufacture.

OLED (pronounced Oh-Lead) Is Organic LED.

EVERY PIXEL is an LED, fully illuminated by current level, and
individually wired... YES WIRED.

IBM manufactures what is STILL the highest resolution display ther
is. A 19 MILLION pixel OLED monitor.

It has several miles of wiring in it.

It also only refreshes at 24Hz in its highest resolution.

I'll give you three guesses as to who their target market is, and the
first two do not count.

Oh, and yes... it is out of your budget range.

OLED will be the hot **** when it become manufacturable in a cost
effective way. Not right now though.

The reason is that LEDs are not light sources. They are illuminated
from behind and express serious limitations in color producing
capacity as a result.

OLEDs are individually fired pixels and produce their own light at
the pixel level, just like a CRT does when an E-beam strikes a
phosphor. An LCD cannot produce an entire range of colors due to their
lack of this capacity.

Alan Larson 05-17-2006 07:30 AM

Re: OLED???

In article <negl62t5lnvp1dmlsvchhtp3r4go741bai@4ax.com> Roy L. Fuchs <roylfuchs@urfargingicehole.org> writes:

> OLED will be the hot **** when it become manufacturable in a cost
>effective way. Not right now though.

If they can get the service life up...

> The reason is that LEDs are not light sources. They are illuminated
>from behind and express serious limitations in color producing
>capacity as a result.

I think you meant LCDs. LEDs are light sources.

> OLEDs are individually fired pixels and produce their own light at
>the pixel level, just like a CRT does when an E-beam strikes a
>phosphor. An LCD cannot produce an entire range of colors due to their
>lack of this capacity.

Not quite true. It is simply a matter of matching the filter and the light
source behind the LCD so that only the desired primary comes out.

Light from common LEDs can be fairly close to monochromatic, as you point out,
but similar effect can be had from LCD by using filters with reasonable isolation
between the primaries and using a backlight composed of line spectra of the
primaries instead of broad spectrum white light.

Alan

The Real Andy 05-17-2006 08:13 AM

Re: OLED???

On 15 May 2006 11:44:58 -0700, "john.spevacek@aspenresearch.com"
<john.spevacek@aspenresearch.com> wrote:

>I heard it with all four letters pronounced, just like the LED has all
>three letters pronounced. Afterall, they roll off the tongue fairly
>well, unlike say, WWW, which as three times the syllables of "world
>wide web".

In all the MS webcasts i notice the redmond folks say "dub dub dub",
and for product like 'WWF' they say "dub dub ef"

Spehro Pefhany 05-17-2006 01:04 PM

Re: OLED???

On Wed, 17 May 2006 06:32:49 GMT, the renowned Roy L. Fuchs
<roylfuchs@urfargingicehole.org> wrote:

>On Mon, 15 May 2006 14:15:39 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
><speffSNIP@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> Gave us:
>
>>On Mon, 15 May 2006 13:43:16 -0400, the renowned dh@. wrote:
>>
>>>Hi. How do you pronounce it? Will just a few companies manufacture
>>>the display material itself, or will the electric print idea make it so
>>>everyone can do it, or am I confusing different ideas? This is new to
>>>me, and there's so much potential it's hard to know how to think
>>>about the whole thing...
>>>
>>>Thanks for any info!
>>>
>>>David

>>I imagine the number of companies producing the substrates will
>>eventually be fairly large, I don't think it's that much more
>>difficult than making good LCD panels. I'm pretty impressed with what
>>I've seen so far. No panacea, but it's a nice option.
>>

> You are't very bright. The technology is entirely different than
>LCD manufacture.
>
> OLED (pronounced Oh-Lead) Is Organic LED.
>
> EVERY PIXEL is an LED, fully illuminated by current level, and
>individually wired... YES WIRED.

Funny, the ones I have here look a lot an awful lot like LCD displays.
Glass substrate. Multiplexed, of course, which works better with
diodes than LCDs.

> OLED will be the hot **** when it become manufacturable in a cost
>effective way. Not right now though.

They are *already* competitive with VFD displays. They've been used in
one manufacturer's consumer products for several years now.

> The reason is that LEDs are not light sources. They are illuminated
>from behind and express serious limitations in color producing
>capacity as a result.

Whatcha smoking, dude? LED = Light EMITTING diode.

> OLEDs are individually fired pixels and produce their own light at
>the pixel level, just like a CRT does when an E-beam strikes a
>phosphor. An LCD cannot produce an entire range of colors due to their
>lack of this capacity.

Yes, the gamut varies with different display (and printing)
technology, if that's what you are trying to say. I should have some
full color ones in hand in a couple of weeks.

BC 05-17-2006 02:41 PM

Re: OLED???

"Roy L. Fuchs" <roylfuchs@urfargingicehole.org> wrote in message
> On Mon, 15 May 2006 14:15:39 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
> <speffSNIP@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> Gave us:
>
>>On Mon, 15 May 2006 13:43:16 -0400, the renowned dh@. wrote:
>>
>>>Hi. How do you pronounce it? Will just a few companies manufacture
>>>the display material itself, or will the electric print idea make it so
>>>everyone can do it, or am I confusing different ideas? This is new to
>>>me, and there's so much potential it's hard to know how to think
>>>about the whole thing...
>>>
>>>Thanks for any info!
>>>
>>>David

>>I imagine the number of companies producing the substrates will
>>eventually be fairly large, I don't think it's that much more
>>difficult than making good LCD panels. I'm pretty impressed with what
>>I've seen so far. No panacea, but it's a nice option.
>>

> You are't very bright. The technology is entirely different than
> LCD manufacture.
>
> OLED (pronounced Oh-Lead) Is Organic LED.
>
> EVERY PIXEL is an LED, fully illuminated by current level, and
> individually wired... YES WIRED.
>
> IBM manufactures what is STILL the highest resolution display ther
> is. A 19 MILLION pixel OLED monitor.
>
> It has several miles of wiring in it.
>
> It also only refreshes at 24Hz in its highest resolution.
>
> I'll give you three guesses as to who their target market is, and the
> first two do not count.
>
> Oh, and yes... it is out of your budget range.
>
> OLED will be the hot **** when it become manufacturable in a cost
> effective way. Not right now though.
>
> The reason is that LEDs are not light sources. They are illuminated
> from behind and express serious limitations in color producing
> capacity as a result.

False. I do photographic color retouching on a LCD pro monitor and it is
color calibrated and calibratable. Color is BETTER than on an equivalent
CRT. My Samsung 32 LCD HDTV is the best picture and color I've seen and I
have seen the Pioneer Elite Plasma--neighbor has one. CRT TV's/monitors
aren't worth two cents IMO. CRT monitors especially give me eyestrain when
working and LCD doesn't. Maybe this new OLED technology WILL be better but
for some reason for some people that which is unavailable is always THE
BEST.