Velocity Reviews

-   -   Serial based digital cameras (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t425690-serial-based-digital-cameras.html)

Bible John 05-14-2006 04:32 PM

Serial based digital cameras

Do they still exist? I remember seeing some high end models a few years
ago. Perhaps some are still using them. Frankly I cnat imagine why.

Up to 2 years ago my family was using a old serial/SCSI Mac. They wanted a
digital camera, but I told them that they had to choose either the Mavica,
or a mail order serial camera. I doubt these are still being made. But then
again I could be wrong. Are they?

John

--
Luke 9:26-If anyone is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be
ashamed of him when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and

Dennis Pogson 05-14-2006 05:20 PM

Re: Serial based digital cameras

Bible John wrote:
> Do they still exist? I remember seeing some high end models a few
> years ago. Perhaps some are still using them. Frankly I cnat imagine
> why.
>
> Up to 2 years ago my family was using a old serial/SCSI Mac. They
> wanted a digital camera, but I told them that they had to choose
> either the Mavica, or a mail order serial camera. I doubt these are
> still being made. But then again I could be wrong. Are they?
>

> John

My first digital camera was a Kodak DC280 zoom. I still have the camera. It
has both serial and USB interfaces. It takes superb pictures, despite it's
mere 2 megapixel sensor.

Dennis.

RW+/- 05-14-2006 06:25 PM

On Sun, 14 May 2006 09:32:39 -0700, Bible John wrote:

> Do they still exist? I remember seeing some high end models a few years
> ago. Perhaps some are still using them. Frankly I cnat imagine why.
>
> Up to 2 years ago my family was using a old serial/SCSI Mac. They wanted a
> digital camera, but I told them that they had to choose either the Mavica,
> or a mail order serial camera. I doubt these are still being made. But then
> again I could be wrong. Are they?
>
> John

What is wrong with buying a card reader? Then you can use any camera.

John McWilliams 05-14-2006 06:57 PM

RW+/- wrote:
> On Sun, 14 May 2006 09:32:39 -0700, Bible John wrote:
>
>> Do they still exist? I remember seeing some high end models a few years
>> ago. Perhaps some are still using them. Frankly I cnat imagine why.
>>
>> Up to 2 years ago my family was using a old serial/SCSI Mac. They wanted a
>> digital camera, but I told them that they had to choose either the Mavica,
>> or a mail order serial camera. I doubt these are still being made. But then
>> again I could be wrong. Are they?
>>
>> John

> What is wrong with buying a card reader? Then you can use any camera.

BJ promotes long "discussions" on older than dirt equipment. Then it
devolves into rants and Christian/Anti-C stuff, along with x-posting,
and diatribes. At least this has been the format in several NGs.

--
lsmft

Bible John 05-14-2006 07:46 PM

"John McWilliams" <jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote in message
> RW+/- wrote:
>> On Sun, 14 May 2006 09:32:39 -0700, Bible John wrote:
>>
>>> Do they still exist? I remember seeing some high end models a few years
>>> ago. Perhaps some are still using them. Frankly I cnat imagine why.
>>>
>>> Up to 2 years ago my family was using a old serial/SCSI Mac. They wanted
>>> a digital camera, but I told them that they had to choose either the
>>> Mavica, or a mail order serial camera. I doubt these are still being
>>> made. But then again I could be wrong. Are they?
>>>
>>> John

>> What is wrong with buying a card reader? Then you can use any camera.

> BJ promotes long "discussions" on older than dirt equipment. Then it
> devolves into rants and Christian/Anti-C stuff, along with x-posting, and
> diatribes. At least this has been the format in several NGs.
>
> --
> lsmft

I am interested in older equipment. I do have some older equipment in my
house. Some of which are serial only. Also my old PC laptop I doubt can use
a modern digital camera.

John

http://www.usenet.com

Bible John 05-14-2006 07:47 PM

Re: Serial based digital cameras

I do not believe a serial based reader exists. Or does it?

John

Peter Chant 05-14-2006 08:48 PM

Bible John wrote:

> I do not believe a serial based reader exists. Or does it?

Not that I'm aware of. You've basically got two options, buy an old camera
to go with the computer or buy a newer computer. Perhaps there is a third
option, do any highstree places that produce prints from memory cards burn
CD's at the same time?

Pete

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk

2 05-14-2006 08:57 PM

Bible John wrote:

> I do not believe a serial based reader exists. Or does it?

How about getting a Serial to USB adapter?

RW+/- 05-14-2006 08:59 PM

On Sun, 14 May 2006 12:47:19 -0700, Bible John wrote:

> I do not believe a serial based reader exists. Or does it?
>
> John

not anymore, and I should have thought of this but didn't.

A lot of older P&S camera's had serial comm cables but with the advent of
USB and firewire the switchover was pretty fast.

Old Olympus cameras had serial cables and I suppose you could look for
these on Ebay or whatever.

In any event if there were such a beast still available your problem would
be handling the pictures and editing them given the screen/video card/OS
capabilities.

If they can afford a camera surely they could afford to upgrade the
computer to at least a capable used computer first.

Or, they could buy a camera and a direct printer new and do a direct print
as well as view them on the TV.

In computers former things have passed away and all become new. Don't poor
new wine into old wine bags.

RW+/- 05-14-2006 09:08 PM

On Sun, 14 May 2006 11:57:29 -0700, John McWilliams wrote:

> RW+/- wrote:
>> On Sun, 14 May 2006 09:32:39 -0700, Bible John wrote:
>>
>>> Do they still exist? I remember seeing some high end models a few years
>>> ago. Perhaps some are still using them. Frankly I cnat imagine why.
>>>
>>> Up to 2 years ago my family was using a old serial/SCSI Mac. They wanted a
>>> digital camera, but I told them that they had to choose either the Mavica,
>>> or a mail order serial camera. I doubt these are still being made. But then
>>> again I could be wrong. Are they?
>>>
>>> John

>> What is wrong with buying a card reader? Then you can use any camera.

> BJ promotes long "discussions" on older than dirt equipment. Then it
> devolves into rants and Christian/Anti-C stuff, along with x-posting,
> and diatribes. At least this has been the format in several NGs.

That is sad.

He should know the principle of not pouring new wine into old containers.
:)