Velocity Reviews

-   -   What tripod/head to use for panoramics? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t425198-what-tripod-head-to-use-for-panoramics.html)

Brandy 05-04-2006 03:55 PM

What tripod/head to use for panoramics?

I need to invest in either a monopod or tripod for full 360 panoramics (and
180s) for virtual tours since no matter how still I stand, I'm not still
enough and I get distortion. I was looking at equipment on B&H Photo
yesterday and don't know if I was looking at the right stuff, but some of
their systems (tripod and motorized head - I don't need or even want a
motorized head) were in the $3-4,000 range. Talk about sticker shock! I
don't mind a couple hundred, but that was just crazy! Can anyone recommend
a tripod or head that I can attach to my current tripod? Thanks so much for
your input. :-)

Brandy
Say goodnight Gracie... Goodnight Gracie

Dennis Pogson 05-04-2006 04:06 PM

Re: What tripod/head to use for panoramics?

Brandy wrote:
> I need to invest in either a monopod or tripod for full 360
> panoramics (and 180s) for virtual tours since no matter how still I
> stand, I'm not still enough and I get distortion. I was looking at
> equipment on B&H Photo yesterday and don't know if I was looking at
> the right stuff, but some of their systems (tripod and motorized head
> - I don't need or even want a motorized head) were in the $3-4,000
> range. Talk about sticker shock! I don't mind a couple hundred, but
> that was just crazy! Can anyone recommend a tripod or head that I
> can attach to my current tripod? Thanks so much for your input. :-)
>

> Brandy
> Say goodnight Gracie... Goodnight Gracie

Any chance of adapting one of the DIY lasers for the job? They seem
ridiculously cheap!

Scott W 05-04-2006 06:08 PM

Brandy wrote:
> I need to invest in either a monopod or tripod for full 360 panoramics (and
> 180s) for virtual tours since no matter how still I stand, I'm not still
> enough and I get distortion. I was looking at equipment on B&H Photo
> yesterday and don't know if I was looking at the right stuff, but some of
> their systems (tripod and motorized head - I don't need or even want a
> motorized head) were in the $3-4,000 range. Talk about sticker shock! I
> don't mind a couple hundred, but that was just crazy! Can anyone recommend
> a tripod or head that I can attach to my current tripod? Thanks so much for
> your input. :-)

I use a Bogen / Manfrotto 303SPH QTVR Spherical Panoramic Head Kit and
love it.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

It is a bit expensive but is very solid and has a neat indexing
feature.
It needs a 3/8 thread to attach to, the standard on a Manfortto tripod.
I use it with another head, a 322RC2, this makes leveling the panoramic
head a snap, otherwise you need to adjust the length of the tripod
legs. This way I can also use the tripod as a normal tripod, the pan
head just pops off.

This is what the whole thing looks like all put together.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/59671185/original

Scott

Arthur Small 05-04-2006 06:21 PM

Re: What tripod/head to use for panoramics?

Look at Nodal Ninja. Solid under $200.00

www.alldigital.fotopic.net

John A. Stovall 05-04-2006 06:55 PM

Re: What tripod/head to use for panoramics?

On Thu, 4 May 2006 10:55:32 -0500, "Brandy" <cognac30@cox.net> wrote:

You can't do any better than Really Right Stuff Pano gear.

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/pano/index.html

Brandy 05-04-2006 10:45 PM

Re: What tripod/head to use for panoramics?

Thank you all so much for the input! I'm checking out all the links you
sent me to compare these heads. They all look wonderful; now I need to do
some serious comparisons! :-)

Peter A. 05-04-2006 10:50 PM

Re: What tripod/head to use for panoramics?

Does $10 sound more reasonable? I found this on a google:

http://www.worth1000.com/tutorial.asp?sid=161123

cal 05-05-2006 12:07 AM

Re: What tripod/head to use for panoramics?

Have a look at www.kingpano.com and www.tawbaware.com.

There's a lot here to learn from. I just bought the King pano head,
but there are several choices and considerations.

cal

Don Wiss 05-05-2006 12:12 AM

On Thu, 04 May 2006, Arthur Small <arthurh@nycap.rr.com> wrote:

>Look at Nodal Ninja. Solid under $200.00
>
>www.alldigital.fotopic.net

I went to the link, yet I don't find Nodal Ninja.

Frank ess 05-05-2006 12:15 AM

Don Wiss wrote:
> On Thu, 04 May 2006, Arthur Small <arthurh@nycap.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> Look at Nodal Ninja. Solid under $200.00
>>
>> www.alldigital.fotopic.net

> I went to the link, yet I don't find Nodal Ninja.
>
> Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).

I was tempted to go there, too, but gooooogled instead and found,
among other things, the Nodal Ninja works OK up to a certain weight,
not including a Canon 20D plus a substantial lens...

--
Frank ess