Velocity Reviews

-   -   Using Nikon AF D lenses with the digitals. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t425065-using-nikon-af-d-lenses-with-the-digitals.html)

Sam Avampato 05-01-2006 04:47 PM

Using Nikon AF D lenses with the digitals.

Can I expect reasonable results when using Nikon AF-Zoom-Nikon 35-80mm
f4-5.6 D
and a Sigma 70-300mm F4-56 APO Macro for Nikon AF D with a Sigma Tele
Converter x 1.4 AF??

Ed Ruf 05-01-2006 05:06 PM

Re: Using Nikon AF D lenses with the digitals.

On Mon, 01 May 2006 16:47:56 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Sam Avampato"
<trucker7951@verizon.net> wrote:

>Can I expect reasonable results when using Nikon AF-Zoom-Nikon 35-80mm
>f4-5.6 D
>and a Sigma 70-300mm F4-56 APO Macro for Nikon AF D with a Sigma Tele
>Converter x 1.4 AF??

Did you get reasonable results with them before? Given the 1.5 crop
factor you will only be capturing the center portion of the light
image captured by the lens, so it might be better. Except for the very
high end bodies, you'll need to keep the combined max aperture to
f/5.6 of larger for AF to work.
Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (Usenet2@EdwardG.Ruf.com)
http://EdwardGRuf.com

frederick 05-01-2006 11:16 PM

Sam Avampato wrote:
> Can I expect reasonable results when using Nikon AF-Zoom-Nikon 35-80mm
> f4-5.6 D
> and a Sigma 70-300mm F4-56 APO Macro for Nikon AF D with a Sigma Tele
> Converter x 1.4 AF??

There were a couple of different 35-80 AF-D lenses. IIRC, one is made
in Japan and is okay for a cheap lens. The other is made in China, and
is reputed to be rubbish - one of the worst lenses to have the Nikkor
name on it (not necessarily because it's made in China). The most
obvious difference is that the Japanese one has a normal focus ring, and
a metal mount, and the Chinese one a very thin focus ring right at the
front and a plastic mount.
The Sigma should be fine. Don't know if the TC will work, but even if
it does then AF action is going to be very dodgy in other than very
bright daylight.
The 18-70 "kit lens" would be a good combination with the Sigma,
covering 18-300mm (FOV equivalent to 28-450 for a 35mm camera).