Velocity Reviews

-   -   Sanyo HD1 high-def camcorder records to SD flash memory! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t425021-sanyo-hd1-high-def-camcorder-records-to-sd-flash-memory.html)

fuzzieotter@yahoo.com 04-30-2006 01:54 AM

Sanyo HD1 high-def camcorder records to SD flash memory!

You may have heard by now of the Sanyo VPC-HD1, a revolutionary new
camcorder that records in 720p to SD flash memory (up to 88 minutes in
HD using a 4GB card). It can also record in SD, shoots 5.1MP stills
(it can shoot stills at the same time your shooting video). You then
just plug the card into your computer, or plug the camcorder into your
computer via USB and it is recognized as a drive. Its so easy to copy
clips and pictures off the camcorder. So much easier than dealing with
tape! It can also act as a webcam with certain software. It has a
gorgeous flip-out OLED screen and tons of features. It's tiny too.
Here are some links.
Get it at: http://www.dvnation.com/hd1.html
See pictures and video taken with the cam at
http://www.dvnation.com/hd1pics.html .

Paul Rubin 04-30-2006 02:04 AM

Re: Sanyo HD1 high-def camcorder records to SD flash memory!

fuzzieotter@yahoo.com writes:
> You may have heard by now of the Sanyo VPC-HD1,

Looks like a nice device. Perhaps I'll buy a unit from B&H. I
certainly won't buy from a spammer like you. However, thanks for
paying for the bandwidth for me to download the 30MB video samples to
base my decision on.

Bob 04-30-2006 03:41 AM

"Paul Rubin" <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote in message
> fuzzieotter@yahoo.com writes:
>> You may have heard by now of the Sanyo VPC-HD1,

> Looks like a nice device. Perhaps I'll buy a unit from B&H. I
> certainly won't buy from a spammer like you. However, thanks for
> paying for the bandwidth for me to download the 30MB video samples to
> base my decision on.

Ahhh. Great idea. I've been looking for a solid-state camcorder. I trust
B+H, but I'll use his website, too, to download the video.

Thanks for the idea, Paul.

Bob

SleeperMan 04-30-2006 07:10 AM

Re: Sanyo HD1 high-def camcorder records to SD flash memory!

In news:ulW4g.7454$BS2.6116@newsread1.news.pas.earthl ink.net,
Bob <nimby1_NEEDSPAM@earthlink.net> typed:
> "Paul Rubin" <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote in message
>> fuzzieotter@yahoo.com writes:
>>> You may have heard by now of the Sanyo VPC-HD1,

>> Looks like a nice device. Perhaps I'll buy a unit from B&H. I
>> certainly won't buy from a spammer like you. However, thanks for
>> paying for the bandwidth for me to download the 30MB video samples to
>> base my decision on.

> Ahhh. Great idea. I've been looking for a solid-state camcorder. I
> trust B+H, but I'll use his website, too, to download the video.
>
> Thanks for the idea, Paul.
>
> Bob

it's just - - -that "up to 88 mins" bothers me...
like my Canon S2 - commercial says recording "up to one hour on 1G
card"....but that means lowest quality - i fear that this is similar . that
88 mins would be in lowest quality and thus unusable. I saw one video (30M,
25 sec of video) and it looked like device hasn't ANY image stabilizer at
all...i'll check out others to proove.

--
Visit my web page at http://www.protoncek.com

SleeperMan 04-30-2006 07:38 AM

Re: Sanyo HD1 high-def camcorder records to SD flash memory!

In news:rpZ4g.2249$oj5.819795@news.siol.net,
SleeperMan <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> typed:
> In news:ulW4g.7454$BS2.6116@newsread1.news.pas.earthl ink.net,
> Bob <nimby1_NEEDSPAM@earthlink.net> typed:
>> "Paul Rubin" <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Looks like a nice device. Perhaps I'll buy a unit from B&H. I
>>> certainly won't buy from a spammer like you. However, thanks for
>>> paying for the bandwidth for me to download the 30MB video samples
>>> to base my decision on.

>> Ahhh. Great idea. I've been looking for a solid-state camcorder. I
>> trust B+H, but I'll use his website, too, to download the video.
>>
>> Thanks for the idea, Paul.
>>
>> Bob

> it's just - - -that "up to 88 mins" bothers me...
> like my Canon S2 - commercial says recording "up to one hour on 1G
> card"....but that means lowest quality - i fear that this is similar
> . that 88 mins would be in lowest quality and thus unusable. I saw
> one video (30M, 25 sec of video) and it looked like device hasn't
> ANY image stabilizer at all...i'll check out others to proove.

yep...like i said... you can calculate..30 M for 25 secs, 27 M for 22
secs...5.5 M for 3 secs...that comes 1bout 1.22 M per second, which comes
4400 M for 60 minutes. And i still doubt that these samples are recorded in
HD mode...note specs which says HD-SHQ mode 9 Mbps which comes 9 minutes on
4 G card. I bet those are recorded in TV-HQ mode at 640x480...although still
look pretty nice, i must admit. It's just - i'd be damned it that device
has image stabilizer turned on...even my S2 doesn't shake that hard. Oh,
well...

--
Visit my web page at http://www.protoncek.com

SleeperMan 04-30-2006 07:45 AM

Re: Sanyo HD1 high-def camcorder records to SD flash memory!

In news:HPZ4g.2252$oj5.819779@news.siol.net,
SleeperMan <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> typed:
> In news:rpZ4g.2249$oj5.819795@news.siol.net,
> SleeperMan <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> typed:
>> In news:ulW4g.7454$BS2.6116@newsread1.news.pas.earthl ink.net,
>> Bob <nimby1_NEEDSPAM@earthlink.net> typed:
>>> "Paul Rubin" <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote in message

>>> Ahhh. Great idea. I've been looking for a solid-state camcorder. I
>>> trust B+H, but I'll use his website, too, to download the video.
>>>
>>> Thanks for the idea, Paul.
>>>
>>> Bob

>> it's just - - -that "up to 88 mins" bothers me...
>> like my Canon S2 - commercial says recording "up to one hour on 1G
>> card"....but that means lowest quality - i fear that this is similar
>> . that 88 mins would be in lowest quality and thus unusable. I saw
>> one video (30M, 25 sec of video) and it looked like device hasn't
>> ANY image stabilizer at all...i'll check out others to proove.

> yep...like i said... you can calculate..30 M for 25 secs, 27 M for 22
> secs...5.5 M for 3 secs...that comes 1bout 1.22 M per second, which
> comes 4400 M for 60 minutes. And i still doubt that these samples are
> recorded in HD mode...note specs which says HD-SHQ mode 9 Mbps which
> comes 9 minutes on 4 G card. I bet those are recorded in TV-HQ mode
> at 640x480...although still look pretty nice, i must admit. It's just
> - i'd be damned it that device has image stabilizer turned on...even
> my S2 doesn't shake that hard. Oh, well...

ops...misscalculation...max time comes about 55 minutes. Ok, but still not
88....
--
Visit my web page at http://www.protoncek.com

J. Clarke 04-30-2006 12:25 PM

SleeperMan wrote:

> In news:HPZ4g.2252$oj5.819779@news.siol.net,
> SleeperMan <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> typed:
>> In news:rpZ4g.2249$oj5.819795@news.siol.net,
>> SleeperMan <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> typed:
>>> In news:ulW4g.7454$BS2.6116@newsread1.news.pas.earthl ink.net,
>>> Bob <nimby1_NEEDSPAM@earthlink.net> typed:

>>> it's just - - -that "up to 88 mins" bothers me...
>>> like my Canon S2 - commercial says recording "up to one hour on 1G
>>> card"....but that means lowest quality - i fear that this is similar
>>> . that 88 mins would be in lowest quality and thus unusable. I saw
>>> one video (30M, 25 sec of video) and it looked like device hasn't
>>> ANY image stabilizer at all...i'll check out others to proove.

>> yep...like i said... you can calculate..30 M for 25 secs, 27 M for 22
>> secs...5.5 M for 3 secs...that comes 1bout 1.22 M per second, which
>> comes 4400 M for 60 minutes. And i still doubt that these samples are
>> recorded in HD mode...note specs which says HD-SHQ mode 9 Mbps which
>> comes 9 minutes on 4 G card. I bet those are recorded in TV-HQ mode
>> at 640x480...although still look pretty nice, i must admit. It's just
>> - i'd be damned it that device has image stabilizer turned on...even
>> my S2 doesn't shake that hard. Oh, well...

> ops...misscalculation...max time comes about 55 minutes. Ok, but still not
> 88....

The Sanyo site says 41 minutes on a 2 GB SD card--perhaps the 88 is based on
4GB.

It also says "Advanced MPEG-4 Compression Technology". That's how they get
41 minutes of HD into a 2 GB SD, and that's using a 6 MB/sec mode rather
htan 9. Getting it into a standard format that can be played back on
something other than the camera or a PC is going to involve rerendering in
a different compression format with a generation loss.

I notice that there aren't any customer reviews on B&H, but there are
several on Amazon that point out some shortcomings.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

SleeperMan 04-30-2006 01:56 PM

Re: Sanyo HD1 high-def camcorder records to SD flash memory!

In news:e32akf02fa8@news1.newsguy.com,
J. Clarke <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> typed:
> SleeperMan wrote:
>
>> In news:HPZ4g.2252$oj5.819779@news.siol.net,
>> SleeperMan <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> typed:
>>> In news:rpZ4g.2249$oj5.819795@news.siol.net,
>>> SleeperMan <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> typed:

>>> yep...like i said... you can calculate..30 M for 25 secs, 27 M for
>>> 22 secs...5.5 M for 3 secs...that comes 1bout 1.22 M per second,
>>> which comes 4400 M for 60 minutes. And i still doubt that these
>>> samples are recorded in HD mode...note specs which says HD-SHQ mode
>>> 9 Mbps which comes 9 minutes on 4 G card. I bet those are recorded
>>> in TV-HQ mode at 640x480...although still look pretty nice, i must
>>> admit. It's just - i'd be damned it that device has image
>>> stabilizer turned on...even my S2 doesn't shake that hard. Oh,
>>> well...

>> ops...misscalculation...max time comes about 55 minutes. Ok, but
>> still not
>> 88....

> The Sanyo site says 41 minutes on a 2 GB SD card--perhaps the 88 is
> based on 4GB.
>
> It also says "Advanced MPEG-4 Compression Technology". That's how
> they get 41 minutes of HD into a 2 GB SD, and that's using a 6 MB/sec
> mode rather htan 9. Getting it into a standard format that can be
> played back on something other than the camera or a PC is going to
> involve rerendering in a different compression format with a
> generation loss.
>
> I notice that there aren't any customer reviews on B&H, but there are
> several on Amazon that point out some shortcomings.

hm....still... if they use 6Mb/sec that comes 360 M per minute, or 21 G per
hour... and all those demo videos aren't record that way - they all use only
1.22 M per second. SO, it's still true - it's all missleading - you can
still squeeze only about 9 minutes of HD best quality video.

--
Visit my web page at http://www.protoncek.com

Paul Rubin 04-30-2006 03:51 PM

"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> writes:
> hm....still... if they use 6Mb/sec that comes 360 M per minute, or 21 G per
> hour...

The 6Mb is megabits, so 0.75 megabytes/sec etc.

Paul Rubin 04-30-2006 03:51 PM

"J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> writes:
> It also says "Advanced MPEG-4 Compression Technology". That's how they get
> 41 minutes of HD into a 2 GB SD, and that's using a 6 MB/sec mode rather
> htan 9. Getting it into a standard format that can be played back on
> something other than the camera or a PC is going to involve rerendering in
> a different compression format with a generation loss.

Many DVD players can play mpeg-4 files.