Velocity Reviews

-   -   CASIO INTRODUCES NEW 10.1 MEGAPIXEL EXILIM ZOOM (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t424937-casio-introduces-new-10-1-megapixel-exilim-zoom.html)

erdega79@gmail.com 04-26-2006 05:02 PM

CASIO INTRODUCES NEW 10.1 MEGAPIXEL EXILIM ZOOM

http://www.casio.com/news/content/FF...-128E71FF5D2A/

DOVER, NJ, APRIL 26, 2006 - Casio, Inc. and its parent company, CASIO
COMPUTER CO., LTD., have announced the release of the EX-Z1000, the
latest exciting addition to CASIO's stylish series of EXILIM ZOOM
digital cameras. The EX-Z1000 captures images of remarkable quality for
its very compact size, and its new wide-format Super Bright LCD display
gives users the power to enjoy instant, high-impact images of their
shots.

The new EXILIM ZOOM EX-Z1000 packs a powerful punch in a sleek, compact
package. Small enough to be held in the palm of the hand, its 10.1
megapixel digital camera still captures super high-resolution images
that reproduce crystal-clear even in very large sizes-perfect for
printing or on-screen viewing of those priceless, once-in-a-lifetime
shots. And there's more. This new model is the first in the series to
incorporate a large 2.8-inch, Wide and Bright LCD display. CASIO makes
the most of this extra screen space to offer great new functions like
simultaneous viewing of a wide angle and a telephoto shot, and a
convenient right-side set of icon controls.

High resolution 10.1 megapixel digital camera with large CCD
The EX-Z1000 has an effective 10.1 million pixels, powered by a large
1/1.8-inch format, high resolution CCD. Add the EXILIM Engine
high-performance image processor and the camera delivers highly
expressive images and reproduces a wide tonal range.

Large 2.8-inch, Wide and Bright display

The EX-Z1000's LCD display is a large, crystal-clear 2.8-inch monitor
in an attractive wide format. This high-resolution, 230,400 pixel LCD
displays images and data with outstanding clarity and fine detail. With
a maximum brightness of 1200cd/m2, the EX-Z1000's Wide and Bright
display makes viewing in bright outdoor light easier than ever before.

Since the moment of its debut in 2002, the EXILIM series has been
transforming the digital camera market. EXILIM cameras are slim and
stylish, packed with superior functionality, and astonishingly easy to
use. Users appreciate EXILIM's unique combination of compact size,
intuitive controls, large displays, and long battery life. And the
series continues to break new ground, with the recent introduction of
functions like Anti Shake DSP, which reduces blurring due to unsteady
hands or moving subjects, and the Super Bright display.

"We are very excited to announce the addition of our EX-Z1000 to the
EXILIM ZOOM series of compact, stylish and easy-to-use digital
cameras", said Bill Heuer, Senior Vice President of Casio's Digital
Imaging Division. "The high resolution and large, bright 2.8" LCD
in the new EX-Z1000 offers consumers even more possibilities in
capturing and sharing their memories, and Casio is proud to be able to
offer such cutting edge technology", he continued.

The EX-Z1000 will have a suggested retail price of $399.99 and will be
available at retail in June.

EXILIM is a registered trademark of CASIO COMPUTER CO., LTD. Any other
company or product names are registered trademarks or trademarks of
those companies.

Casio, Inc., Dover, N.J., is the U.S. subsidiary of Casio Computer Co.,
Ltd., Tokyo, Japan, one of the world's leading manufacturers of
consumer electronics and business equipments solutions, established in
1957. Casio Inc. markets calculators, keyboards, digital cameras,
mobile presentation devices, disc title and label printers, watches,
cash registers and other consumer electronic products. Casio has
strived to realize its corporate creed of "creativity and
contribution" through the introduction of innovative and imaginative
products. For more information, visit www.casiousa.com

* * *

EXILIM ZOOM EX-Z1000 MAIN FEATURES

Superior performance, amazing image quality, and functionality for
beautiful photographs

10.1 million effective pixels.
A high dynamic range, 1/1.8-inch CCD, which delivers low-noise imaging.

The ability to zoom between 4.3X and 17.1X*1 with no reduction in image
quality.
BEST SHOT function with high-sensitivity shooting mode, up to a maximum
of ISO 3200.
Anti Shake DSP, which is built into the EXILIM Engine image processor,
reduces blurring due to unsteady hands or moving subjects.
Rapid Flash function enables up to three shots per second, enabling
high-speed flash photography.
Fast power-on function, so the first shot can be taken just 1.3
seconds*2 after switching on.
Release time lag of only approximately 0.002 seconds,*3 allowing the
shot to be captured practically instantaneously with the push of the
shutter button.
High-speed picture playback of approximately 0.1 second interval.
Super Life Battery allows up to 360 shots*4 to be taken, measured by
CIPA standards.
*1 This applies with image size set anywhere from VGA to 5 megapixels.
Zoom ratio can be enhanced by cropping an image.

*2 Using internal memory, with built-in flash off.

*3 With built-in flash off.

*4 With LCD display set to standard brightness.

Large, wide-format LCD display built for ease of viewing

Large, 2.8-inch, wide-format LCD monitor lets users enjoy high-impact
images of their shots.
High-resolution, 230,400 pixel display presents clear, detailed images
and data.
Wide and Bright display (brightness: 1200cd/m2 *5) makes viewing in
bright outdoor light easier than ever before.
Display button can be used to change display formats with just one
touch.
Display utilizes a vertical stripe pixel array, ensuring that the menus
are clear and easy to read.
Right edge of the display shows operational icons, enabling easy
operation and quick review of settings.
Multi-image function can display 12 images on a single screen.
*5 On the highest brightness setting, measured at the center of the
screen.

Photographic functions designed to take advantage of the camera's
high resolution

The revolutionary Zoom Continuous Shutter mode allows the user to
compare a wide angle and a telephoto shot in the same display and to
take both shots simultaneously with only one press of the shutter
button.
Revive Shot refreshes the faded colors of old photos, bringing them
back to life in digital format.
Quick Zoom feature enables instant switch to a preset zoom ratio with
just one touch of a button.
37 different types of BEST SHOT sample images. Users can choose one of
these samples to make sure their photos come out just right.
Movies can be taken in VGA size (640 x 480 pixels) at 25 frames per
second (Motion JPEG).
Other functions for intuitively easy operation

Quick Shutter function allows for fast focusing, reducing focusing
error.
Auto Macro mode allows for automatic switching between auto focus mode
and macro mode.
9-Point Multi AF function clearly shows areas of auto focus when
photographing subjects with multiple focus points.
Direct On function allows users to press a single button to quickly
start the camera in either shooting or playback mode.
Multi-function cradle can be used to recharge the battery, connect to a
PC to download images, and connect to audiovisual equipment. The cradle
also functions as a photostand, allowing users to view an image
slideshow.

EXILIM ZOOM EX-Z1000 SPECIFICATIONS

Effective Pixels 10.10 million
Imaging Element 1/1.8-inch square pixel color CCD (total pixels: 10.37
million)
Image File Format Still images: JPEG (Exif Version 2.2), DCF standard,
DPOF compliant
Movies Motion JPEG, AVI format
Audio WAV (monaural)
Recording Media Built-in flash memory (image area: 8.0MB), SD Memory
Card/ MultiMediaCard compatible
Image Size (Pixels) Still images: 3648 x 2736, 3648 x 2432 (3:2), 3648
x 2048 (16:9),
2560 x 1920, 2048 x 1536, 1600 x 1200, 640 x 480
Movies 640 x 480 (HQ), 640 x 480 (Normal), 320 x 240 (LP)

Lens/Focal Distance: F2.8 to 5.4, f=7.9 to 23.7mm (equivalent to
approximately 38 to 114mm on a 35mm film camera), 7 lenses in 5 groups,
including aspherical lens
Zoom: 3X optical zoom, 4X digital zoom (Image size: 3648 x 2736 pixels,
12X in combination with optical zoom)
Focusing Contrast Detectiont: Auto Focus8
Focus Modes: Auto Focus, Macro Mode, Pan Focus (movie recording only),
Infinity Mode, Manual Focus
AF Area: Spot or Multi; with AF assist lamp
Approximate Focus Range Auto Focus: 15.75" to 8, Macro: 2.36" to
19.69", Infinity Mode: 8, Manual Focus: 2.36" to 8 *Range is
affected by optical zoom
Exposure Control: Metering: Multi-pattern, center weighted, spot by
imaging element
Exposure: Program AE
Exposure Compensation: -2EV to +2EV (in 1/3EV steps)
Shutter: CCD shutter, mechanical shutter
Still images (Auto): 1/2 to 1/2000 second (at ISO 50), Still images
(night scene): 4 to 1/2000 second (at ISO 50) *Shutter speed range may
be different depending on the BEST SHOT scene or sensitivity setting
Aperture: F2.8/F5.6,*3 auto switching
*3 Brightness converted
* Using optical zoom causes the aperture to change
White Balance: Auto, fixed (6 modes), manual
Movies: Auto
*4 When using Anti Shake function, maximum is ISO 800. When using BEST
SHOT "High Sensitivity" function, maximum is ISO 3200
Recording Functions: Still images; still images with audio (maximum
around 30 seconds); macro; self-timer; continuous shutter (normal
speed, high speed, rapid flash, zoom continuous), BEST SHOT, movies
with audio, voice recording
Self-timer: 10 seconds, 2 seconds, Triple Self-timer
Built-in Flash: Flash Modes: Auto, On, Off, Soft Flash, Red Eye
Reduction
Flash Range: Approx..33 to 11.81' (W), approx. 1.31' to 6.23' (T)

Flash Continuous Shutter: approx. 1.97' to 6.89' (W), approx.
1.31' to 3.61' (T)
Monitor Screen: 2.8-inch TFT color LCD (14:9), 230,400 pixels (960 x
240)
Timekeeping Functions: Date and time: Recorded with image data;
Auto Calendar: To 2049
On-image time stamp function

World Time: 162 cities in 32 time zones, City name, date, time, summer
time
Input/Output Terminals: USB cradle connector, USB2.0 (Full-Speed)
compatible
Power Requirements: Rechargeable lithium ion battery (NP-40) x 1

Battery life: Approx. 360 still images (CIPA Standards)
Continuous playback: approx. 13 hr. (still images)
Continuous recording: approx. 3 hr. 15 min. (movie)
Continuous recording: approx. 8 hr. (voice recording)
Dimensions: 3.62" (W) x 2.30" (H) x .88" (D) (excluding
projections, .78" at thinnest part)
Weight: Approximately 4.9 oz (excluding battery and accessories)
Bundled Accessories: Rechargeable lithium ion battery, USB cradle, USB
cable, AV cable, Special AC adaptor, strap, CD-ROM

Specifications are subject to change without notice.

Chris 04-26-2006 05:48 PM

Re: CASIO INTRODUCES NEW 10.1 MEGAPIXEL EXILIM ZOOM

> Imaging Element 1/1.8-inch square pixel color CCD (total
> pixels: 10.37 million)

This many pixels on this size imager would indicate high noise and low
ISO, but the announcement also talks about ISO 3200 and so forth. Do
they really have technology that can do all this? Did they maybe
discover a new principle of physics?

Searching for high-quality rumors.

bmoag 04-26-2006 09:34 PM

Re: CASIO INTRODUCES NEW 10.1 MEGAPIXEL EXILIM ZOOM

Putting this many megapixels in a camera this size is merely a marketing
tool. It also serves as information about just how cheap the cost of these
sensors is to the camera manufacturer.
I have the last Casio 7 megapixel wonder. It is a fun, usable shirtpocket
camera. I like it and use it often.
However because of limits in the optics (especially the optics), focusing
and processings systems there is not a great deal of difference in ultimate
image quality in cameras of this size once you get to 3-4 mps.
I have run informal comparisons between the Casio and my still working first
generation 3mp Nikon 990 and a 4mp Kodak. The results do not favor the Casio
in terms of overall image quality. The Nikon has superior optics and even at
3mps will often print the highest quality 5x7 images of the three cameras.
In terms of overall image quality there is much less difference than you
might expect between the 4mp Kodak and the 7mp Casio, although the latter
has more sophisticated exposure and processing options.
I use the Casio because it is teeny and actually fits in a pocket, not
because it is a superior machine.
In my experience the teeny camera class does not sustain print sizes beyond
5x7 inches no matter how many mps are in the sensor because factors other
than the sensor limit ultimate image quality.

erdega79@gmail.com 04-26-2006 10:19 PM

Re: CASIO INTRODUCES NEW 10.1 MEGAPIXEL EXILIM ZOOM

Casio ex z1000 has an excellent picture quality as can be seen from its
samples gallery

http://dc.casio.jp/product/exilim/ex_z1000/gallery.html

Mark B. 04-26-2006 11:12 PM

<erdega79@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1146089993.120673.51790@v46g2000cwv.googlegro ups.com...
> Casio ex z1000 has an excellent picture quality as can be seen from its
> samples gallery
>
> http://dc.casio.jp/product/exilim/ex_z1000/gallery.html

Are any of these at anything higher than the lowest ISO? I d/l the night
portrait, but the ISO doesn't appear to be in the EXIF unless it was somehow
wiped out when downloaded.

Mark

Ron Hunter 04-26-2006 11:40 PM

Chris wrote:
>> Imaging Element 1/1.8-inch square pixel color CCD (total
>> pixels: 10.37 million)

> This many pixels on this size imager would indicate high noise and low
> ISO, but the announcement also talks about ISO 3200 and so forth. Do
> they really have technology that can do all this? Did they maybe
> discover a new principle of physics?
>
> Searching for high-quality rumors.

Note the 'effective' 10.1 mp statement. Not sure exactly what that means.

Rich 04-27-2006 03:20 AM

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 21:34:12 GMT, "bmoag" <aetoo@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Putting this many megapixels in a camera this size is merely a marketing
>tool. It also serves as information about just how cheap the cost of these
>sensors is to the camera manufacturer.
>I have the last Casio 7 megapixel wonder. It is a fun, usable shirtpocket
>camera. I like it and use it often.
>However because of limits in the optics (especially the optics), focusing
>and processings systems there is not a great deal of difference in ultimate
>image quality in cameras of this size once you get to 3-4 mps.
>I have run informal comparisons between the Casio and my still working first
>generation 3mp Nikon 990 and a 4mp Kodak

Then buying one only encourages the stupid mfgs to put more of this
stuff on the market.
-Rich

erdega79@gmail.com 04-27-2006 04:09 AM

Re: CASIO INTRODUCES NEW 10.1 MEGAPIXEL EXILIM ZOOM

all of those samples were taken at ISO 80

Alfred Molon 04-27-2006 05:57 AM

Re: CASIO INTRODUCES NEW 10.1 MEGAPIXEL EXILIM ZOOM

In article <1146089993.120673.51790@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups. com>,
erdega79@gmail.com says...
> Casio ex z1000 has an excellent picture quality as can be seen from its
> samples gallery
>
> http://dc.casio.jp/product/exilim/ex_z1000/gallery.html

Not bad - corner to corner sharpness, lots of detail and low noise:
http://dc.casio.jp/product/exilim/ex...y/CIMG6159.JPG

Seems that there have been substantial advances in sensor technology
recently.
--

Alfred Molon

erdega79@gmail.com 04-28-2006 01:39 PM

Re: CASIO INTRODUCES NEW 10.1 MEGAPIXEL EXILIM ZOOM

There is a first shot with ISO from 50,100,200,400,800 and 3200

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/re...4/28/3739.html