Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Digital Photography (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f37-digital-photography.html)
-   -   lost digital photos (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t423801-lost-digital-photos.html)

Wombatwal 04-02-2006 07:06 AM

lost digital photos
 

G'day all
Got back from China today. Started to download my images from a XD card
512Mb. I have a Fuji S5000 camera.
The card was nearly full. I connect to computer via USB, the images were
slow to come up on my computer so I turned the camera off and connected to
another USB outlet. I then downloaded the images but there were only a
fraction of what I had taken. The images were all on my camera this
afternoon. There are now a lot of inaccessible files on my camera that were
not there before, some of them are empty whilst others have a large amount
of information. I assume these are my lost photos. Can anyone shed light on
the problem and if I can get the images back. Thanks in advance.
--
Wombatwal



eugene 04-02-2006 07:16 AM

Re: lost digital photos
 

"Wombatwal" <bartsimpson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:yJKXf.22082$dy4.10614@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>
> G'day all
> Got back from China today. Started to download my images from a XD card
> 512Mb. I have a Fuji S5000 camera.
> The card was nearly full. I connect to computer via USB, the images were
> slow to come up on my computer so I turned the camera off and connected to
> another USB outlet. I then downloaded the images but there were only a
> fraction of what I had taken. The images were all on my camera this
> afternoon. There are now a lot of inaccessible files on my camera that
> were not there before, some of them are empty whilst others have a large
> amount of information. I assume these are my lost photos. Can anyone shed
> light on the problem and if I can get the images back. Thanks in advance.
> --
> Wombatwal
>

I use a free program called PC Inspector Smart Recovery. Download it and you
should be able to retrieve the shots from your card.



Wombatwal 04-02-2006 10:19 AM

Re: lost digital photos
 
Thanks Eugene. I have downloaded the program and it is doing it's job very
well at the moment. Wombatwal

"eugene" <eugene@home.com.invalid> wrote in message
news:b8SdndCYZdHI57LZRVnyhw@bt.com...
>
> "Wombatwal" <bartsimpson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:yJKXf.22082$dy4.10614@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>>
>> G'day all
>> Got back from China today. Started to download my images from a XD card
>> 512Mb. I have a Fuji S5000 camera.
>> The card was nearly full. I connect to computer via USB, the images were
>> slow to come up on my computer so I turned the camera off and connected
>> to another USB outlet. I then downloaded the images but there were only a
>> fraction of what I had taken. The images were all on my camera this
>> afternoon. There are now a lot of inaccessible files on my camera that
>> were not there before, some of them are empty whilst others have a large
>> amount of information. I assume these are my lost photos. Can anyone shed
>> light on the problem and if I can get the images back. Thanks in
>> advance.
>> --
>> Wombatwal
>>

> I use a free program called PC Inspector Smart Recovery. Download it and
> you should be able to retrieve the shots from your card.
>




eugene 04-02-2006 11:56 AM

Re: lost digital photos
 

"Wombatwal" <bartsimpson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:qyNXf.22193$dy4.8800@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> Thanks Eugene. I have downloaded the program and it is doing it's job very
> well at the moment. Wombatwal
>
> "eugene" <eugene@home.com.invalid> wrote in message
> news:b8SdndCYZdHI57LZRVnyhw@bt.com...
>>
>> "Wombatwal" <bartsimpson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:yJKXf.22082$dy4.10614@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>>>
>>> G'day all
>>> Got back from China today. Started to download my images from a XD card
>>> 512Mb. I have a Fuji S5000 camera.
>>> The card was nearly full. I connect to computer via USB, the images were
>>> slow to come up on my computer so I turned the camera off and connected
>>> to another USB outlet. I then downloaded the images but there were only
>>> a fraction of what I had taken. The images were all on my camera this
>>> afternoon. There are now a lot of inaccessible files on my camera that
>>> were not there before, some of them are empty whilst others have a large
>>> amount of information. I assume these are my lost photos. Can anyone
>>> shed light on the problem and if I can get the images back. Thanks in
>>> advance.
>>> --
>>> Wombatwal
>>>

>> I use a free program called PC Inspector Smart Recovery. Download it and
>> you should be able to retrieve the shots from your card.
>>

>
>

You are more than welcome.
I photographed a wedding last year, using my EOS300D. Imagine my horror when
I got home and discovered that 100 or so pics had "disappeared". I went
online and discovered that this was a problem with certain memory cards and
this program was recommended. It works just great.

Eugene



m Ransley 04-02-2006 12:40 PM

Re: lost digital photos
 
You may have damaged the cards memory turning it off mid stream if you
just hit the cameras power button. Get a recovery program.


Dave Cohen 04-02-2006 03:26 PM

Re: lost digital photos
 

"m Ransley" <ransley@webtv.net> wrote in message
news:11409-442FC63C-837@storefull-3138.bay.webtv.net...
> You may have damaged the cards memory turning it off mid stream if you
> just hit the cameras power button. Get a recovery program.
>

PC Inspector is good and glad to hear it's working for you.
Another good freebie is:
http://www.vaiosoft.com/products/recoverymanager.html

I liked it a little better, but both plus others seem to work quite well.
Dave Cohen



Marvin 04-02-2006 04:49 PM

Re: lost digital photos
 
Wombatwal wrote:
> Thanks Eugene. I have downloaded the program and it is doing it's job very
> well at the moment. Wombatwal
>
> "eugene" <eugene@home.com.invalid> wrote in message
> news:b8SdndCYZdHI57LZRVnyhw@bt.com...
>
>>"Wombatwal" <bartsimpson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>news:yJKXf.22082$dy4.10614@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>>
>>>G'day all
>>>Got back from China today. Started to download my images from a XD card
>>>512Mb. I have a Fuji S5000 camera.
>>>The card was nearly full. I connect to computer via USB, the images were
>>>slow to come up on my computer so I turned the camera off and connected
>>>to another USB outlet. I then downloaded the images but there were only a
>>>fraction of what I had taken. The images were all on my camera this
>>>afternoon. There are now a lot of inaccessible files on my camera that
>>>were not there before, some of them are empty whilst others have a large
>>>amount of information. I assume these are my lost photos. Can anyone shed
>>>light on the problem and if I can get the images back. Thanks in
>>>advance.
>>>--
>>>Wombatwal
>>>

>>
>>I use a free program called PC Inspector Smart Recovery. Download it and
>>you should be able to retrieve the shots from your card.
>>

>
>

It's nice that you got your pictures. In the future, avoid
the problem by never turning off the camera while it is
reading from the card or writing to it. That way, you won't
damage the file that keeps track of where the images are on
the card.

eugene 04-02-2006 05:57 PM

Re: lost digital photos
 

"Marvin" <physchem@cloud9.net> wrote in message
news:1230053gs84v83c@corp.supernews.com...
> Wombatwal wrote:
>> Thanks Eugene. I have downloaded the program and it is doing it's job
>> very well at the moment. Wombatwal
>>
>> "eugene" <eugene@home.com.invalid> wrote in message
>> news:b8SdndCYZdHI57LZRVnyhw@bt.com...
>>
>>>"Wombatwal" <bartsimpson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>news:yJKXf.22082$dy4.10614@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>>>
>>>>G'day all
>>>>Got back from China today. Started to download my images from a XD card
>>>>512Mb. I have a Fuji S5000 camera.
>>>>The card was nearly full. I connect to computer via USB, the images were
>>>>slow to come up on my computer so I turned the camera off and connected
>>>>to another USB outlet. I then downloaded the images but there were only
>>>>a fraction of what I had taken. The images were all on my camera this
>>>>afternoon. There are now a lot of inaccessible files on my camera that
>>>>were not there before, some of them are empty whilst others have a large
>>>>amount of information. I assume these are my lost photos. Can anyone
>>>>shed light on the problem and if I can get the images back. Thanks in
>>>>advance.
>>>>--
>>>>Wombatwal
>>>>
>>>
>>>I use a free program called PC Inspector Smart Recovery. Download it and
>>>you should be able to retrieve the shots from your card.
>>>

>>
>>

> It's nice that you got your pictures. In the future, avoid the problem by
> never turning off the camera while it is reading from the card or writing
> to it. That way, you won't damage the file that keeps track of where the
> images are on the card.


I have never done that. To the best of my recollection, the problem was,
when the camera is reading and storing the information from a picture just
taken, you should not view that picture! It can become a "white" file (or
something worded like that). I had been viewing each pic as I took it and I
knew that the missing wedding pics had to be somewhere because I definitely
had seen them then. The info I got online suggested that this problem was
exclusive to one particular make of card but it has happened to me on
different occasions, but I don't get concerned anymore



irwell 04-02-2006 11:43 PM

Re: lost digital photos
 
On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 08:16:41 +0100, "eugene" <eugene@home.com.invalid>
wrote:

>
>"Wombatwal" <bartsimpson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>news:yJKXf.22082$dy4.10614@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>>
>> G'day all
>> Got back from China today. Started to download my images from a XD card
>> 512Mb. I have a Fuji S5000 camera.
>> The card was nearly full. I connect to computer via USB, the images were
>> slow to come up on my computer so I turned the camera off and connected to
>> another USB outlet. I then downloaded the images but there were only a
>> fraction of what I had taken. The images were all on my camera this
>> afternoon. There are now a lot of inaccessible files on my camera that
>> were not there before, some of them are empty whilst others have a large
>> amount of information. I assume these are my lost photos. Can anyone shed
>> light on the problem and if I can get the images back. Thanks in advance.
>> --
>> Wombatwal
>>

>I use a free program called PC Inspector Smart Recovery. Download it and you
>should be able to retrieve the shots from your card.
>

Thanks for that info. Downloaded the program, works great, surprised
that it recovered some pics that were supposed to have been erased
weeks ago. Does this mean that a memory card does not get fully
erased in the camera unlessa re-formatting is done?


Colin D 04-03-2006 12:41 AM

Re: lost digital photos
 


irwell wrote:
>
> On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 08:16:41 +0100, "eugene" <eugene@home.com.invalid>
> wrote:
>
> >
> >"Wombatwal" <bartsimpson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >news:yJKXf.22082$dy4.10614@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> >>
> >> G'day all
> >> Got back from China today. Started to download my images from a XD card
> >> 512Mb. I have a Fuji S5000 camera.
> >> The card was nearly full. I connect to computer via USB, the images were
> >> slow to come up on my computer so I turned the camera off and connected to
> >> another USB outlet. I then downloaded the images but there were only a
> >> fraction of what I had taken. The images were all on my camera this
> >> afternoon. There are now a lot of inaccessible files on my camera that
> >> were not there before, some of them are empty whilst others have a large
> >> amount of information. I assume these are my lost photos. Can anyone shed
> >> light on the problem and if I can get the images back. Thanks in advance.
> >> --
> >> Wombatwal
> >>

> >I use a free program called PC Inspector Smart Recovery. Download it and you
> >should be able to retrieve the shots from your card.
> >

> Thanks for that info. Downloaded the program, works great, surprised
> that it recovered some pics that were supposed to have been erased
> weeks ago. Does this mean that a memory card does not get fully
> erased in the camera unlessa re-formatting is done?


Not even then. Erasing images simply marks the File Allocation Table
(FAT) entry, thus marking the space where the image is on the card as
free to use again. It doesn't actually remove the image. An in-camera
format rewrites a fresh copy of the FAT tables, and the necessary
folders required by the camera. It doesn't actually remove images
either.

The only way to actually remove an image is to overwrite it, either with
another image, as in normal usage, or with some bulk erasing program
that writes random data, or all zeroes, to every byte in the card.

This, by the way, is how your hard drives work as well, and is how
people with illegal images - some porn, for example, or people selling
used computers and drives can get caught even if they think they have
erased the files. All they did was to erase the FAT (or NTFS or
whatever file system the computer uses) entries, which does not erase
the files or images.

Programs like PC Inspector ignore the FAT, and read the disk or card
sequentially, finding files as it goes. Unless a file has been
overwritten with other data, or byte strings designed to render the file
non-readable, it can be found.

Colin D.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.