Velocity Reviews

-   -   B&H Or Beachcamera.com (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t423688-b-and-h-or-beachcamera-com.html)

jimmy 03-28-2006 09:21 PM

B&H Or Beachcamera.com

Hi,

I saw the Canon Rebel XT kit on beachcamera.com for $749.00( incl
ship), having never dealt with them I emailed B&H and asked them if
they could match it (they have it for $779+ shipping) and they sent me
the following. My question is: Are they correct, is beachcamera.com
shady?

QUOTE:
Several camera dealers will try to draw you in to a sale by offering a
low price on the camera but they will often charge a much higher price
for the accessories such as memory, batteries, cases, filters,
warranties and shipping. Other dealers will claim that the camera does
not come with software, cables, or batteries then they will proceed to
sell you the accessories that are already in the box. Some of these
dealers do not actually ship the camera unless you order enough of the
high priced accessories. Unfortunately you will not know if the dealer
does not ship the camera until sometime after you place the order.

Also some dealers are selling "gray" or "imported" cameras that do not
come with any warranty or technical support. There is no way to tell if
you received a gray market product until after you receive the product.
Then you must call the manufacturer and read the serial number to them.
Then the manufacturer can tell you if it is a! USA or a gray market
product. B&H does not sell any gray market digital cameras.

This is why we do not match prices with Beach Camera

ob1cnob 03-28-2006 10:00 PM

Re: B&H Or Beachcamera.com

I saw the Canon Rebel XT kit on beachcamera.com for $749.00( incl
ship), having never dealt with them I emailed B&H and asked them if
they could match it (they have it for $779+ shipping) and they sent me

the following. My question is: Are they correct, is beachcamera.com
shady?
.................................................. .................

I have bought two film bodies, four lenses, grips and other accessories
from Beach camera over a course of four years, but the last purchase
was five years ago!
I am completely satisfied with all the transactions I had.
I have made all my recent purchase from B&H. Since I work in Manhattan
I can walk into the store and personally buy what I want.
Between the two stores, I would go for whoever offers the best price.
Mat

This old Bob 03-28-2006 10:10 PM

Re: B&H Or Beachcamera.com

Beach:

B&H

Pretty equal on ratings but I've only use B&H and they have been perfect.

jimmy 03-28-2006 10:15 PM

Re: B&H Or Beachcamera.com

I've seen those ratings and others that rate B&H and Beach as both
good, that's why I was surprized that B&H replied the way they did.

bmoag 03-28-2006 10:18 PM

Re: B&H Or Beachcamera.com

My experience buying non-grey market items at Beach camera has been
exemplary. I have purchased Nikon cameras and lenses and received the
rebates that Nikon offers only on genuine USA imports.
If you are unsure if they are offering grey or USA market items ask them.
Ask them if everything is included in the box that the manufacturer ships
with the camera. I personally have no reservations about my dealings with
Beach Camera, although the last item I purchased from them was about 18
months ago.
I also have never had a problem purchasing from B&H or Adorama and would not
hesitate to buy from either. I do so regularly.
Sometimes the best price is not always the best deal, not necessarily
because the vendor is unscrupulous who is offering the lowest price, but an
extra $10-20 to a dealer you trust can be a well spent premium for peace of
mind.
I would never buy anything from an unknown vendor at Ebay unless I was also
prepared to eat the purchase price.

george 03-28-2006 10:54 PM

Re: B&H Or Beachcamera.com

"jimmy" <northsidejim@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1143584128.462468.60590@t31g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
> I've seen those ratings and others that rate B&H and Beach as both
> good, that's why I was surprized that B&H replied the way they did.

In the past two years I've purchased from B&H, Beach Camera (a.k.a.
buydig.com), and 17Photo...all have excellent ratings at resellerratings.com
and no problems at any of them. There IS one difference between those
three, however, and it doesn't favor B&H...B&H is the only one that charges
your credit card at the time of order rather than shipment. While you might
think this is very little difference, it did mean that B&H had my money tied
up for 6 months trying to get a lens case no longer in production.
Personally, my take on their response is they are trying to "worry" you into
not buying from their very capable competition. Where B&H has a big
advantage over the other two I mentioned is that those two tend to only have
the most popular items while B&H has everything.

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) 03-28-2006 11:09 PM

Re: B&H Or Beachcamera.com

On 28 Mar 2006 13:21:50 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "jimmy"
<northsidejim@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I saw the Canon Rebel XT kit on beachcamera.com for $749.00( incl
>ship), having never dealt with them I emailed B&H and asked them if
>they could match it (they have it for $779+ shipping) and they sent me
>the following. My question is: Are they correct, is beachcamera.com
>shady?

I bought my Nikon D70 and 70-200mm f/2.8 VR from B&H both USA spec back in
9/2004. Bought a gray market TC-2x converter from them later I recently
bought a D200 from Beach, also USA spec with warranty as stated. on the web
site when I placed the order.
--
Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (Usenet2@EdwardG.Ruf.com)
http://EdwardGRuf.com

l e o 03-28-2006 11:25 PM

Re: B&H Or Beachcamera.com

bmoag wrote:
> My experience buying non-grey market items at Beach camera has been
> exemplary. I have purchased Nikon cameras and lenses and received the
> rebates that Nikon offers only on genuine USA imports.
> If you are unsure if they are offering grey or USA market items ask them.
> Ask them if everything is included in the box that the manufacturer ships
> with the camera. I personally have no reservations about my dealings with
> Beach Camera, although the last item I purchased from them was about 18
> months ago.
> I also have never had a problem purchasing from B&H or Adorama and would not
> hesitate to buy from either. I do so regularly.
> Sometimes the best price is not always the best deal, not necessarily
> because the vendor is unscrupulous who is offering the lowest price, but an
> extra $10-20 to a dealer you trust can be a well spent premium for peace of
> mind.
> I would never buy anything from an unknown vendor at Ebay unless I was also
> prepared to eat the purchase price.

B&H offers refund if you don't like the products. Beach Camera/BuyDig
doesn't.

jb 03-29-2006 12:01 AM

Re: B&H Or Beachcamera.com

jimmy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I saw the Canon Rebel XT kit on beachcamera.com for $749.00( incl
> ship), having never dealt with them I emailed B&H and asked them if
> they could match it (they have it for $779+ shipping) and they sent me
> the following. My question is: Are they correct, is beachcamera.com
> shady?
>
> QUOTE:
> Several camera dealers will try to draw you in to a sale by offering a
> low price on the camera but they will often charge a much higher price
> for the accessories such as memory, batteries, cases, filters,
> warranties and shipping. Other dealers will claim that the camera does
> not come with software, cables, or batteries then they will proceed to
> sell you the accessories that are already in the box. Some of these
> dealers do not actually ship the camera unless you order enough of the
> high priced accessories. Unfortunately you will not know if the dealer
> does not ship the camera until sometime after you place the order.
>
> Also some dealers are selling "gray" or "imported" cameras that do not
> come with any warranty or technical support. There is no way to tell if
> you received a gray market product until after you receive the product.
> Then you must call the manufacturer and read the serial number to them.
> Then the manufacturer can tell you if it is a! USA or a gray market
> product. B&H does not sell any gray market digital cameras.
>
> This is why we do not match prices with Beach Camera

It's just not worth the trouble to use Beach Camera. Some people
apparently get good deals, but they are few and far between.

jb 03-29-2006 12:07 AM

Re: B&H Or Beachcamera.com

jb wrote:
> jimmy wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I saw the Canon Rebel XT kit on beachcamera.com for $749.00( incl
>> ship), having never dealt with them I emailed B&H and asked them if
>> they could match it (they have it for $779+ shipping) and they sent me
>> the following. My question is: Are they correct, is beachcamera.com
>> shady?
>>
>> QUOTE:
>> Several camera dealers will try to draw you in to a sale by offering a
>> low price on the camera but they will often charge a much higher price
>> for the accessories such as memory, batteries, cases, filters,
>> warranties and shipping. Other dealers will claim that the camera does
>> not come with software, cables, or batteries then they will proceed to
>> sell you the accessories that are already in the box. Some of these
>> dealers do not actually ship the camera unless you order enough of the
>> high priced accessories. Unfortunately you will not know if the dealer
>> does not ship the camera until sometime after you place the order.
>>
>> Also some dealers are selling "gray" or "imported" cameras that do not
>> come with any warranty or technical support. There is no way to tell if
>> you received a gray market product until after you receive the product.
>> Then you must call the manufacturer and read the serial number to them.
>> Then the manufacturer can tell you if it is a! USA or a gray market
>> product. B&H does not sell any gray market digital cameras.
>>
>> This is why we do not match prices with Beach Camera
>>

> It's just not worth the trouble to use Beach Camera. Some people
> apparently get good deals, but they are few and far between.

B&H sends out giant catalogues ;)