Velocity Reviews

-   -   30D -- Disappointing? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t422729-30d-disappointing.html)

Bill Hilton 02-21-2006 01:18 PM

30D -- Disappointing?

I guess I was expecting more of an upgrade to the 20D, at least to 10
Mpixels ... specially given what Nikon's shipping now ...

Bill
(Canon user)

Derek Fountain 02-21-2006 01:22 PM

Re: 30D -- Disappointing?

Bill Hilton wrote:
> I guess I was expecting more of an upgrade to the 20D, at least to 10
> Mpixels ... specially given what Nikon's shipping now ...

Looks pretty much what I had in mind. It's an even smaller step up than
from the 10D to the 20D, Spot metering is really the only thing I can
see that I'd find useful. Oh, the 3fps burst mode - 5fps on the 20D can
be annoyingly quick at times...

Siddhartha Jain 02-21-2006 02:12 PM

Re: 30D -- Disappointing?

Bill Hilton wrote:
> I guess I was expecting more of an upgrade to the 20D, at least to 10
> Mpixels ... specially given what Nikon's shipping now ...
>
> Bill
> (Canon user)

After all the hoopla and rumours surrounding the 30D, this one turned
out to be a HUGE disappointment. Pretty un-Canon like behaviour!!

- Siddhartha
(Canon 300D owner)

Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark) 02-21-2006 02:21 PM

Re: 30D -- Disappointing?

Bill Hilton wrote:
> I guess I was expecting more of an upgrade to the 20D, at least to 10
> Mpixels ... specially given what Nikon's shipping now ...
>
> Bill
> (Canon user)

Canon unveils successor to the EOS 20D
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...id=7-7891-8214

I believe this is an indication that the sensors are reaching
their peak. To cram more megapixels into a 1.6 crop factor
sensor means the pixel size would be smaller, affecting
signal-to-noise ratios. To go more megapixels, with
equally low noise images, they would have to go to a 1.3 crop
factor.

But the 100,000 shutter life and higher frames/sec is nice.

I'm hoping for 14-bits A to D converters (or more), but I've seen no
indication of that in the announcements.

Roger

Sarah Brown 02-21-2006 02:26 PM

Re: 30D -- Disappointing?

In article <43fb143f$0$49408$892e7fe2@authen.yellow.readfreen ews.net>,
Derek Fountain <nomail@hursley.ibm.com> wrote:

>Looks pretty much what I had in mind. It's an even smaller step up than
>from the 10D to the 20D, Spot metering is really the only thing I can
>see that I'd find useful. Oh, the 3fps burst mode - 5fps on the 20D can
>be annoyingly quick at times...

As far as I can tell, it's a 5D with the 20D's sensor, a popup flash and a
non-user-changable focus screen.

Randall Ainsworth 02-21-2006 02:29 PM

Re: 30D -- Disappointing?

In article <1140531128.865211.148770@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups .com>,
Siddhartha Jain <reach.siddhartha@gmail.com> wrote:

> After all the hoopla and rumours surrounding the 30D, this one turned
> out to be a HUGE disappointment. Pretty un-Canon like behaviour!!

I'm not impressed either. I'll stick with my 10D for the time being. I
didn't even see the 20D as being a significant enough improvement to
open my wallet.

David J. Littleboy 02-21-2006 02:35 PM

Re: 30D -- Disappointing?

"Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" <username@qwest.net> wrote:

> Canon unveils successor to the EOS 20D
> http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...id=7-7891-8214
>
> I believe this is an indication that the sensors are reaching
> their peak. To cram more megapixels into a 1.6 crop factor
> sensor means the pixel size would be smaller, affecting
> signal-to-noise ratios. To go more megapixels, with
> equally low noise images, they would have to go to a 1.3 crop
> factor.

Yep. It's nice to see Canon holding the line on the MP craziness.

> But the 100,000 shutter life and higher frames/sec is nice.

The spot meter and rgb histograms are significant improvements in
functionality. Now there's no reason to get a 5D other than the sensor<g>.

> I'm hoping for 14-bits A to D converters (or more), but I've seen no
> indication of that in the announcements.

That'll probably require a new generation of the DIGIC chip, so it probably
won't happen for a while.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Siddhartha Jain 02-21-2006 02:39 PM

Re: 30D -- Disappointing?

> Bill Hilton wrote:
> > I guess I was expecting more of an upgrade to the 20D, at least to 10
> > Mpixels ... specially given what Nikon's shipping now ...
> >
> > Bill
> > (Canon user)
> >

> Canon unveils successor to the EOS 20D
> http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...id=7-7891-8214
>
> I believe this is an indication that the sensors are reaching
> their peak. To cram more megapixels into a 1.6 crop factor
> sensor means the pixel size would be smaller, affecting
> signal-to-noise ratios. To go more megapixels, with
> equally low noise images, they would have to go to a 1.3 crop
> factor.
>
> But the 100,000 shutter life and higher frames/sec is nice.
>
> I'm hoping for 14-bits A to D converters (or more), but I've seen no
> indication of that in the announcements.
>
> Roger

Given what Fuji is doing with its new SuperHR CCD sensors used in
F10/F11/F30, isn't it more likely that Canon's current breed of APS-C
sensors have reached their limit and Canon need to re-design the
sensor?

- Siddhartha

David J. Littleboy 02-21-2006 02:42 PM

Re: 30D -- Disappointing?

"Randall Ainsworth" <rag@nospam.techline.com> wrote:
> Siddhartha Jain <reach.siddhartha@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> After all the hoopla and rumours surrounding the 30D, this one turned
>> out to be a HUGE disappointment. Pretty un-Canon like behaviour!!

> I'm not impressed either. I'll stick with my 10D for the time being. I
> didn't even see the 20D as being a significant enough improvement to
> open my wallet.

Spot meter, rgb histograms, bigger screen. Much faster operation than the
10D, and the AF should be a lot better than the 10D, too.

It's nowhere near enough for a 20D user to upgrade, but a big improvement
over the 10D.

Still, other than the 1Dmk2 -> 1Dmk2n, it's the most unimpressive "upgrade"
in Canon's history; it really doesn't deserve a new number and should have
been called the 20Dn.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

l e o 02-21-2006 03:01 PM

Re: 30D -- Disappointing?

Siddhartha Jain wrote:
>> Bill Hilton wrote:
>>> I guess I was expecting more of an upgrade to the 20D, at least to 10
>>> Mpixels ... specially given what Nikon's shipping now ...
>>>
>>> Bill
>>> (Canon user)
>>>

>> Canon unveils successor to the EOS 20D
>> http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...id=7-7891-8214
>>
>> I believe this is an indication that the sensors are reaching
>> their peak. To cram more megapixels into a 1.6 crop factor
>> sensor means the pixel size would be smaller, affecting
>> signal-to-noise ratios. To go more megapixels, with
>> equally low noise images, they would have to go to a 1.3 crop
>> factor.
>>
>> But the 100,000 shutter life and higher frames/sec is nice.
>>
>> I'm hoping for 14-bits A to D converters (or more), but I've seen no
>> indication of that in the announcements.
>>
>> Roger

> Given what Fuji is doing with its new SuperHR CCD sensors used in
> F10/F11/F30, isn't it more likely that Canon's current breed of APS-C
> sensors have reached their limit and Canon need to re-design the
> sensor?
>
> - Siddhartha

I don't know much about Fujifilm, but if the SR II sensor's that much
better, I think we would have heard many Nikon users buying S3 Pro already.

As for Canon, I like that they make a wise decision not to cram more
megapixels. As Rob Galbraith mentioned, he prefers to use 20D over D200
for available light basketball games because it has better high ISO
performance and somehow getting more shots of sharp pictures [not sure why].