Velocity Reviews

-   -   Olympus and the Sony sensor recall? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t422673-olympus-and-the-sony-sensor-recall.html)

Mike S. 02-19-2006 01:46 PM

Olympus and the Sony sensor recall?

Can anyone share some first-hand experiences with Olympus' responsiveness
to this? Are they overwhelmed with repair orders?

In November I emailed Olympus, quoting their service advisory, and asking
if the serial number of my C5050Z is among the affected units. Within a
day I received a letter confirming that my unit was affected by the
recall, and asking me to wait past the Dec-Jan holiday rush if the camera
was functioning properly at that time - which it has been.

So now, in February, I've sent two replies to that back to Olympus,
quoting the original exchange, and have received ... nothing. If this is
the level of responsiveness they demonstrate, I can only imagine how long
they would have my camera on te bench if I were to get it approved for an
RMA.

Anyone?

Bob Salomon 02-19-2006 01:49 PM

Re: Olympus and the Sony sensor recall?

In article <dt9ss8$3bj$1@reader2.panix.com>,
retsuhcs@xinap.moc (Mike S.) wrote:

> Can anyone share some first-hand experiences with Olympus' responsiveness
> to this? Are they overwhelmed with repair orders?
>
> In November I emailed Olympus, quoting their service advisory, and asking
> if the serial number of my C5050Z is among the affected units. Within a
> day I received a letter confirming that my unit was affected by the
> recall, and asking me to wait past the Dec-Jan holiday rush if the camera
> was functioning properly at that time - which it has been.
>
> So now, in February, I've sent two replies to that back to Olympus,
> quoting the original exchange, and have received ... nothing. If this is
> the level of responsiveness they demonstrate, I can only imagine how long
> they would have my camera on te bench if I were to get it approved for an
> RMA.
>
> Anyone?

Have you called them or asked a dealer to contact them for you? Email is
not always the fastest way.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

Alfred Molon 02-19-2006 10:59 PM

Re: Olympus and the Sony sensor recall?

In article <dt9ss8$3bj$1@reader2.panix.com>, retsuhcs@xinap.moc says...

> Can anyone share some first-hand experiences with Olympus' responsiveness
> to this? Are they overwhelmed with repair orders?
>
> In November I emailed Olympus, quoting their service advisory, and asking
> if the serial number of my C5050Z is among the affected units. Within a
> day I received a letter confirming that my unit was affected by the
> recall, and asking me to wait past the Dec-Jan holiday rush if the camera
> was functioning properly at that time - which it has been.
>
> So now, in February, I've sent two replies to that back to Olympus,
> quoting the original exchange, and have received ... nothing. If this is
> the level of responsiveness they demonstrate, I can only imagine how long
> they would have my camera on te bench if I were to get it approved for an
> RMA.

This has been discussed extensively in the myolympus forum. The bottom
line is that people experience different levels of responsiveness,
depending on where they call and how they explain things.
--

Alfred Molon

Mike S. 03-29-2006 05:30 PM

Re: Olympus and the Sony sensor recall?

In article <MPG.1e6316d9b23a8bfc98aed5@news.supernews.com>,
Alfred Molon <alfred_molonREMOVE@yahoo.com> wrote:
>In article <dt9ss8$3bj$1@reader2.panix.com>, retsuhcs@xinap.moc says...
>>

>> Can anyone share some first-hand experiences with Olympus' responsiveness
>> to this? Are they overwhelmed with repair orders?
>>
>> In November I emailed Olympus, quoting their service advisory, and asking
>> if the serial number of my C5050Z is among the affected units. Within a
>> day I received a letter confirming that my unit was affected by the
>> recall, and asking me to wait past the Dec-Jan holiday rush if the camera
>> was functioning properly at that time - which it has been.
>>
>> So now, in February, I've sent two replies to that back to Olympus,
>> quoting the original exchange, and have received ... nothing. If this is
>> the level of responsiveness they demonstrate, I can only imagine how long
>> they would have my camera on te bench if I were to get it approved for an
>> RMA.

>This has been discussed extensively in the myolympus forum. The bottom
>line is that people experience different levels of responsiveness,
>depending on where they call and how they explain things.

Well, last week I picked up the phone and called. I was amazed to find
that no RMA was necessary, really; in response to my call they emailed me
a return materials form that I could have downloaded from the web site
months ago.

In any case, I sent the camera off to their east coast service center, and
it was back in my hands, repaird and fully checked out, 8 days later.