Velocity Reviews

-   -   81A filter and white balance (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t422379-81a-filter-and-white-balance.html)

Marc 02-09-2006 05:44 PM

81A filter and white balance

I will be taking photos of my workmates in a room with florescent lighting
and plum, colored walls. I want to measure the white balance rather than
rely on the auto white balance. I also want to use an 81A filter to warm up
the skin tones.

It seems that I ought to measure and set the white balance without the 81A
filter and then put the filter on or the white balance measurement will
cancel out the effect of the filter.

Is that correct?

I will be using a Nikon 995 CoolPix camera.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"These are the times that try men's souls." Tom Paine

Marc

Jim 02-09-2006 06:32 PM

Re: 81A filter and white balance

"Marc" <stagshrine@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I will be taking photos of my workmates in a room with florescent lighting
> and plum, colored walls. I want to measure the white balance rather than
> rely on the auto white balance. I also want to use an 81A filter to warm
> up the skin tones.
>

> It seems that I ought to measure and set the white balance without the 81A
> filter and then put the filter on or the white balance measurement will
> cancel out the effect of the filter.
>
> Is that correct?
>

> I will be using a Nikon 995 CoolPix camera.
>

> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> "These are the times that try men's souls." Tom Paine
>
> Marc

Yes, measure the white balance without the filter.
Jim

tomm42 02-09-2006 07:12 PM

Re: 81A filter and white balance

Check the fluorescent balance first, generally works well. The 81A may
not be necessary.
81As are more of a shade filter than a fluorescent filter. But test
your hunch, it may work well.

Tom

Joseph Meehan 02-09-2006 07:52 PM

Marc wrote:
> I will be taking photos of my workmates in a room with florescent
> lighting and plum, colored walls. I want to measure the white
> balance rather than rely on the auto white balance. I also want to
> use an 81A filter to warm up the skin tones.
>

> It seems that I ought to measure and set the white balance without
> the 81A filter and then put the filter on or the white balance
> measurement will cancel out the effect of the filter.
>
> Is that correct?
>

> I will be using a Nikon 995 CoolPix camera.

I would take the balance off a white card and forget the filter. If you
want to warm the skin tones I would do that in post process or (if your
camera has it) set up a warmer configuration to use when you want warmer
skin tones. You also could get a slightly cooler white card.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

George Kerby 02-09-2006 09:10 PM

Re: 81A filter and white balance

More than anything else, the "Raccoon Eyes" produced by using overhead flu
bulbs as the only light source, is annoying. You might want to drop by the
local photo store, or theatrical supply to pick up some daylight or cool
white to 5500k (depending upon what is in the office fixtures) balanced gel
material to place over an on camera flash to get rid of this hollow eye
effect.

Thomas T. Veldhouse 02-10-2006 04:09 PM

tomm42 <tmonego@wildblue.net> wrote:
> Check the fluorescent balance first, generally works well. The 81A may
> not be necessary.
> 81As are more of a shade filter than a fluorescent filter. But test
> your hunch, it may work well.

I think of 81a as a warming filter. Excellent for overcast and/or rainy
days when the color temperature is low. I am not so sure about using
the 81a as a florescent filter, and I would just let the camera do its
thing. In fact, I find warming filters, like the 81a to really only be
useful for film photography, but, that is just me.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Bill Funk 02-10-2006 04:24 PM

Re: 81A filter and white balance

On 10 Feb 2006 16:09:35 GMT, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>tomm42 <tmonego@wildblue.net> wrote:
>> Check the fluorescent balance first, generally works well. The 81A may
>> not be necessary.
>> 81As are more of a shade filter than a fluorescent filter. But test
>> your hunch, it may work well.
>>

>I think of 81a as a warming filter. Excellent for overcast and/or rainy
>days when the color temperature is low. I am not so sure about using
>the 81a as a florescent filter, and I would just let the camera do its
>thing. In fact, I find warming filters, like the 81a to really only be
>useful for film photography, but, that is just me.

Hmmm... I must have this backwards.
If the 81a is a filter that *warms* the subject, then you'd use it
whan the color temp is too high, right?
Then it follows that a need to use an 81a during rainy or overcast
days means the color temp must be too *high* then, right? Less of it,
but of higher color temp?
No?

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Joseph Meehan 02-10-2006 07:01 PM

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> I think of 81a as a warming filter. Excellent for overcast and/or
> rainy days when the color temperature is low. I am not so sure about
> using the 81a as a florescent filter

I don't believe that was the OP's original intention. I believe he
wanted to white balance the fluorescent then use the filter on the result to
warm the result up.

I should also add that I am not the Joseph Meehan who wrote the
Photographers Guide to Using Filters.

Thomas T. Veldhouse 02-10-2006 07:51 PM

Joseph Meehan <sligojoe_Spamno@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I don't believe that was the OP's original intention. I believe he
> wanted to white balance the fluorescent then use the filter on the result to
> warm the result up.

Then in my mind, as I indicated, I don't believe the 81a should be used
at all, leaving the entire process to white balance.

> I should also add that I am not the Joseph Meehan who wrote the
> Photographers Guide to Using Filters.

Interesting ... :-)

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse