Velocity Reviews

-   -   CS2 Bridge...for management it works just fine (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t422375-cs2-bridge-for-management-it-works-just-fine.html)

Gary 02-09-2006 03:35 PM

CS2 Bridge...for management it works just fine

A while ago, I asked about management tools for pictures. I just
installed CS2, and the bridge feature runs independently of the main
program and works very well for quickly viewing files, in fact it's as
good or better than ACDSee or XnView and certainly better than Picasa.

Does anyone else simply use Bridge to view files? I'm not interested
in slide shows and if I need to alter a shot, I'll open PS.

Gary

John A. Stovall 02-09-2006 03:50 PM

Re: CS2 Bridge...for management it works just fine

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 15:35:31 GMT, Gary <rpmmail@san.rr.com> wrote:

>A while ago, I asked about management tools for pictures. I just
>installed CS2, and the bridge feature runs independently of the main
>program and works very well for quickly viewing files, in fact it's as
>good or better than ACDSee or XnView and certainly better than Picasa.
>
>Does anyone else simply use Bridge to view files? I'm not interested
>in slide shows and if I need to alter a shot, I'll open PS.

All the time, that part of what bridge is for. Have you worked with
it's metadata features to create new categories for organizing and
searching you pictures.

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

Hunt 02-09-2006 04:04 PM

Re: CS2 Bridge...for management it works just fine

In article <v2omu1pv3kkc0jdihp1oiqg1a9t366k9et@4ax.com>, rpmmail@san.rr.com
says...

>A while ago, I asked about management tools for pictures. I just
>installed CS2, and the bridge feature runs independently of the main
>program and works very well for quickly viewing files, in fact it's as
>good or better than ACDSee or XnView and certainly better than Picasa.
>
>Does anyone else simply use Bridge to view files? I'm not interested
>in slide shows and if I need to alter a shot, I'll open PS.
>
>Gary

I've, as have you, found Bridge to be a great image asset manager. I'd venture
that it is at about 95% now, and CS3's version will probably add a few %
toward 100. There are still a few operations that I will rely on either
WinExplorer, or even ThumbsPlus for, but not that many. The automation in
Bridge really fits into MY workflow. Now, if they'd make the file renaming
function a bit less kludgy...

Hunt

Eric Schreiber 02-09-2006 06:45 PM

Gary wrote:

> Does anyone else simply use Bridge to view files? I'm not interested
> in slide shows and if I need to alter a shot, I'll open PS.

I use it for browsing my RAW or PSD files, though I still prefer
IrfanView for JPGs outside of my main photo directory tree.

One thing to watch out for with Bridge, at least when viewing RAW
files, is that it uses a cache to store thumbnails/previews. If that
cache gets full, your previews may not show up. I recently drove myself
nuts for an hour trying to figure out why some of my RAW images had
previews while others from the same session didn't, and it turned out
to be a simple case of "dork didn't read the documentation".

--
www.ericschreiber.com

Mark Roberts 02-10-2006 11:18 PM

"Eric Schreiber" <eric at ericschreiber dot com> wrote:

>One thing to watch out for with Bridge, at least when viewing RAW
>files, is that it uses a cache to store thumbnails/previews. If that
>cache gets full, your previews may not show up. I recently drove myself
>nuts for an hour trying to figure out why some of my RAW images had
>previews while others from the same session didn't, and it turned out
>to be a simple case of "dork didn't read the documentation".

True. And watch out if your cache is on a small drive - it can fill up.
I discovered this when I noticed backups of my C drive (which I have
reserved for my operating system only) taking longer and longer and the
backup files getting bigger and bigger. Fortunately you can go to Edit |
Preferences | Advanced and specify your own location for the cache.
Camera RAW does something similar but I haven't found a way to move its
cache off the C drive.

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing

Annika1980 02-11-2006 02:28 AM

Re: CS2 Bridge...for management it works just fine

Fortunately you can go to Edit | Preferences | Advanced and specify
your own location for the cache.
Camera RAW does something similar but I haven't found a way to move its
cache off the C drive.

Click on the little arrow to the right of the Settings tab.
Choose "Preferences" (CTL/K in Windows). Then choose "Select Location."
This is in ACR 3.3, btw.