Velocity Reviews

-   -   Montreal - a picture salvaged from inside Notre Dame (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t422356-montreal-a-picture-salvaged-from-inside-notre-dame.html)

John H 02-09-2006 01:39 AM

Montreal - a picture salvaged from inside Notre Dame

My wife took a picture of the reredos at Notre Dame Basilica
in Montreal a few years ago. It was hurtin' and she was going to toss
it but I wanted to see if it could be salvaged. You can see the
'after' here: http://www.accesswave.ca/~lifestyle/notredame.html
and the original: http://www.accesswave.ca/~lifestyle/original.JPG

I don't know what it is supposed to look like so guesswork was
involved.

John H

kayla 02-09-2006 03:29 AM

Re: Montreal - a picture salvaged from inside Notre Dame

Excellent!!! I have a few of the" before" pictures. Can you please
tell how you achieved this? Whenever I try I get a very pale blah
picture that looks over exposed..

Thanks
Lori

bugbear 02-09-2006 12:15 PM

kayla wrote:
> Excellent!!! I have a few of the" before" pictures. Can you please
> tell how you achieved this? Whenever I try I get a very pale blah
> picture that looks over exposed..

This can be done easily using the "Levels" dialog,
or with more control in a "Curves" editor.

http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/index.html

sections 6.1 and 6.2

The concepts are applicable to most similar tools.

BugBear

John H 02-09-2006 01:45 PM

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 22:29:45 -0500, kayla <afwt_hotmail.com@> wrote:

>Excellent!!! I have a few of the" before" pictures. Can you please
>tell how you achieved this? Whenever I try I get a very pale blah
>picture that looks over exposed..
>
>Thanks
>Lori

Thanks. I use Photoshop. Once the levels are adjusted go to
the saturation tools first trying master then selecting specific
colour ranges, like blues or yellows. This is best done using
different layers for each for control and the ability to undo changes
and view effect by turning layers on or off.. I used layer masks to
erase the effect in areas where adjustments were undesirable, for
instance levels in the foreground that brought out a lot of noise.
Brushes of varying opacity can be used for partially mask. The
saturation sponge was used to tune specific spots. Perspective was
corrected with transform>distort.

Moderate sharpening was used. I think you will find the key
element to be saturation. Hope this is of some help.

>On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 01:39:08 GMT, John H <iamnot@home.com> wrote:
>

>> My wife took a picture of the reredos at Notre Dame Basilica
>>in Montreal a few years ago. It was hurtin' and she was going to toss
>>it but I wanted to see if it could be salvaged. You can see the
>>'after' here: http://www.accesswave.ca/~lifestyle/notredame.html
>>and the original: http://www.accesswave.ca/~lifestyle/original.JPG
>>
>> I don't know what it is supposed to look like so guesswork was
>>involved.
>>

>>John H

John H

John H 02-09-2006 02:05 PM

Re: Montreal - a picture salvaged from inside Notre Dame

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 22:29:45 -0500, kayla <afwt_hotmail.com@> wrote:

>Excellent!!! I have a few of the" before" pictures. Can you please
>tell how you achieved this? Whenever I try I get a very pale blah
>picture that looks over exposed..
>
>Thanks
>Lori

Another thought, Lori. Assuming Photoshop or = you might try
this trick to get you close before going to saturation. Add a curves
adjustment layer but just click ok with no adjustments then change the
blend mode to screen. Add another curves layer in the same way and
choose screen again. If you want to go farther but not a lot, repeat
and lessen the effect by using the opacity slider. Add a saturation
adjustment layer. This can get you close quickly although the global
nature of the blending change may not always be what you want.

>On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 01:39:08 GMT, John H <iamnot@home.com> wrote:
>

>> My wife took a picture of the reredos at Notre Dame Basilica
>>in Montreal a few years ago. It was hurtin' and she was going to toss
>>it but I wanted to see if it could be salvaged. You can see the
>>'after' here: http://www.accesswave.ca/~lifestyle/notredame.html
>>and the original: http://www.accesswave.ca/~lifestyle/original.JPG
>>
>> I don't know what it is supposed to look like so guesswork was
>>involved.
>>

>>John H

John H

kayla 02-10-2006 05:45 PM

Re: Montreal - a picture salvaged from inside Notre Dame

Thanks for your help bugbear and John. I've downloaded the book, must
learn about layers and get working on some pictures.

Lori