Velocity Reviews

-   -   Kodak EasyShare P850 Accessories? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t422293-kodak-easyshare-p850-accessories.html)

Wakke 02-06-2006 04:45 PM

Kodak EasyShare P850 Accessories?

Hello, I'm new to the group, and new to photography in general. I hope
to stick around and get to know some of you.

My question aims at the lens adapter for the Kodak P850. [ The page for
it is here: http://tinyurl.com/9fnss ] So will this allow me to attach
ANY 55mm filter or lens to my camera? I guess it seems simple but it
almost sounds too good to be true.

KennyJr 02-06-2006 08:42 PM

Re: Kodak EasyShare P850 Accessories?

In article <1139244345.623019.326370@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups .com>,
Andrew.Valencik@gmail.com says...
> Hello, I'm new to the group, and new to photography in general. I hope
> to stick around and get to know some of you.
>
> My question aims at the lens adapter for the Kodak P850. [ The page for
> it is here: http://tinyurl.com/9fnss ] So will this allow me to attach
> ANY 55mm filter or lens to my camera? I guess it seems simple but it
> almost sounds too good to be true.

Yep. With the lens adapter you'll be able to attach any 55mm filter or
lens to the P850. Just about any filter will be ok, but if you intend to
get a telephoto or wide angle lens I'd spend the extra money and get a
good one. When I have my Sony I got a cheap 2x lens and was disappointed
in the quality.

Wakke 02-06-2006 10:15 PM

Re: Kodak EasyShare P850 Accessories?

That's amazing, I never would have thought it'd be that simple. I mean
nothing is ever that simple. Nothing! Thank you so much, you just made
my day. Now, to look into a good polarizer.

Ron Baird 02-07-2006 07:33 PM

Wakke wrote:

>Hello, I'm new to the group, and new to photography in general. I hope
>to stick around and get to know some of you.
>
>My question aims at the lens adapter for the Kodak P850. [ The page for
>it is here: http://tinyurl.com/9fnss ] So will this allow me to attach
>ANY 55mm filter or lens to my camera? I guess it seems simple but it
>almost sounds too good to be true.

Greetings Wakke,

Nice to meet you and glad to help.

No, the adapter relates to the accessories made for the camera and not
any lens. It will accept any filters, and such but only the lenses that
were designed for the camera. You can find them listed at the following
URLs.

http://www.kodak.com/go/p850
or
http://www.kodak.com/go/accessories

Just click on the link to accessories. You will find the adapter as you
have shown in your link but a reference to the other accessory lenses,
i.e. Telephoto and Wide Angle. These are the only lenses I am familiar
with that will fit that camera. Of courese if you have other filters
etc. in the 55mm format, they should fit as well. Kodak offers a
ploarizer and ND filter, as you know. Check the web for others.

My use of the camera was very pleasing and I got some great shots of
family and friends. I like the external flash option and the IS feature.

Talk to you soon, Wakke, see you around the group.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

Wakke 02-08-2006 08:06 PM

Re: Kodak EasyShare P850 Accessories?

So what happens or if I get the adapter and try and use another 55mm
lens? Is it not going to fit? Will it break or not work? I guess I
don't understand why if my lens is 55mm why can't i add ANY 55mm lens
or filter?

Thank you.

KennyJr 02-08-2006 10:14 PM

Re: Kodak EasyShare P850 Accessories?

In article <1139429208.667281.266530@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups .com>,
Andrew.Valencik@gmail.com says...
> So what happens or if I get the adapter and try and use another 55mm
> lens? Is it not going to fit? Will it break or not work? I guess I
> don't understand why if my lens is 55mm why can't i add ANY 55mm lens
> or filter?

Any 55mm filter should work with the lens adapter on the P850. Also both
the Kodak 1.4x and the Olympus 1.7x teleconverters will work with the
P850. There are many examples on the dPreview Kodak forums of pictures
taken with the Oly TCON and the Kodak TCON.

Wakke 02-09-2006 08:05 PM

Re: Kodak EasyShare P850 Accessories?

So I can use some other 55mm lenses, just not many? I hope so, Kodak
only has two 55mm lenses on their site. I'd like to have a few more
choices and price options.

KennyJr 02-09-2006 10:21 PM

Re: Kodak EasyShare P850 Accessories?

In article <1139515501.881960.180010@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups .com>,
Andrew.Valencik@gmail.com says...
> So I can use some other 55mm lenses, just not many? I hope so, Kodak
> only has two 55mm lenses on their site. I'd like to have a few more
> choices and price options.

Take a look over at the dPreview Kodak forum. There are a lot of
examples of photos taken with the Oly 1.7x TCON. From what I've read
there the Oly TCON is 1.7x compared to Kodak's 1.4x. I've also heard it
is cheaper.

A word of warning. I've seen cheaper telephoto adapters and even bought
one myself and was very disappointed in the quality. From the pictures
I've seen both the Olympus and Kodak adapters produce very good photos.

Ron Baird 02-10-2006 08:13 PM

Wakke wrote:

>So what happens or if I get the adapter and try and use another 55mm
>lens? Is it not going to fit? Will it break or not work? I guess I
>don't understand why if my lens is 55mm why can't i add ANY 55mm lens
>or filter?
>
>Thank you.

Greetings Wakker,

No, it will accept the 55mm thread size, but since I am not sure what
you are going to attach to it, something that will add to much weight,
interfere with the lens action and so would not be suggested but lens
filters etc. are certainly an option. I guess I have the word lens in my
mind as being and SLR type of lens, which of course cannot be done.

Enjoy Wakker, let me know if you have additional questions.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

Wakke 02-10-2006 08:29 PM

Re: Kodak EasyShare P850 Accessories?

> No, it will accept the 55mm thread size, but since I am not sure what
> you are going to attach to it, something that will add to much weight,
> interfere with the lens action and so would not be suggested but lens
> filters etc. are certainly an option. I guess I have the word lens in my
> mind as being and SLR type of lens, which of course cannot be done.
>
> Enjoy Wakker, let me know if you have additional questions.
>
> Ron Baird
> Eastman Kodak Company

Ahh, so it's not so much that the lenses won't fit or physically be
compatible with it after i get the adapter it's more it would be too
hard to use because of the weight, and could damage the camera? It's
not some limitation kodak has so you have to buy their lenses it's that
fact that it could damge the camera due to weight? Alright I think I
get it now.

However, can I bring your attention to this:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=17117633

Would there be a problem there? Although I think I'd rather stick with
55mm, there seems to be more for that size. Although I know next to
nothing about photography.

Thank you all for your help thus far.