Velocity Reviews

-   -   Nikon D70s & Nikon AF-D lenses - Compatible? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t421842-nikon-d70s-and-nikon-af-d-lenses-compatible.html)

Ken M 01-21-2006 05:48 AM

Nikon D70s & Nikon AF-D lenses - Compatible?

Can someone advise if lenses for a Nikon N-70 (AF-D) will fit and work on a
Nikon D70s?

Thanks,
Ken

David Dyer-Bennet 01-21-2006 06:46 AM

Re: Nikon D70s & Nikon AF-D lenses - Compatible?

"Ken M" <mken1@tampabay.rr.com> writes:

> Can someone advise if lenses for a Nikon N-70 (AF-D) will fit and work on a
> Nikon D70s?

Yes. They'll give a different angle of view, because the digital
sensor is smaller than the film; but all the restrictions on D70
lenses also apply to the N70 (won't meter with non-chipped lenses,
won't mount non-AI lenses without damage, possibly other more minor
things).
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <mailto:dd-b@dd-b.net>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>

JR 01-21-2006 07:24 AM

Re: Nikon D70s & Nikon AF-D lenses - Compatible?

> Yes. They'll give a different angle of view, because the digital
> sensor is smaller than the film; but all the restrictions on D70
> lenses also apply to the N70 (won't meter with non-chipped lenses,
> won't mount non-AI lenses without damage, possibly other more minor
> things).

Not correct, the N70 WILL meter with AI, and AIS lenses without chips.
The D70 and D70s will not...They both will use AF-D lenses with no
problems.

JR

Roger 01-21-2006 09:23 AM

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 23:24:48 -0800, JR <jrhone@mac.com.invalid> wrote:

>> Yes. They'll give a different angle of view, because the digital
>> sensor is smaller than the film; but all the restrictions on D70
>> lenses also apply to the N70 (won't meter with non-chipped lenses,
>> won't mount non-AI lenses without damage, possibly other more minor
>> things).

>Not correct, the N70 WILL meter with AI, and AIS lenses without chips.
>The D70 and D70s will not...They both will use AF-D lenses with no
>problems.

Mine (D-70) meters fine with a straight AF 75 300 or at least I set it
to auto and get good results.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com.

Jim 01-21-2006 04:35 PM

"Ken M" <mken1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
news:PWjAf.11585$Zj7.8484@tornado.tampabay.rr.com. ..
> Can someone advise if lenses for a Nikon N-70 (AF-D) will fit and work on
> a Nikon D70s?
>
> Thanks,
> Ken

Yes and of course.
Jim

Jim 01-21-2006 04:37 PM

"JR" <jrhone@mac.com.invalid> wrote in message

>> Yes. They'll give a different angle of view, because the digital
>> sensor is smaller than the film; but all the restrictions on D70
>> lenses also apply to the N70 (won't meter with non-chipped lenses,
>> won't mount non-AI lenses without damage, possibly other more minor
>> things).

> Not correct, the N70 WILL meter with AI, and AIS lenses without chips.
> The D70 and D70s will not...They both will use AF-D lenses with no
> problems.
>
> JR

Since the OP asked about AF-D lenses, there is no reason to discuss pre-AI,
AI, and AI-S lenses. The manual covers that issue quite well.
Jim

David Dyer-Bennet 01-21-2006 06:53 PM

JR <jrhone@mac.com.invalid> writes:

> > Yes. They'll give a different angle of view, because the digital
> > sensor is smaller than the film; but all the restrictions on D70
> > lenses also apply to the N70 (won't meter with non-chipped lenses,
> > won't mount non-AI lenses without damage, possibly other more minor
> > things).

> Not correct, the N70 WILL meter with AI, and AIS lenses without chips.
> The D70 and D70s will not...They both will use AF-D lenses with no
> problems.

Oops, sorry! I had thought the lack of the sensor for AI and AIS lens
communication was a physical attribute of the camera body, that would
be the same in both versions. Now I'm *particluarly* annoyed at Nikon
for not providing metering with those lenses in the consumer DSLR
models. (The Fuji S2 can't, either, because the physical sensor is
missing from the N80 body it's based on. And the D100 can't,
either.)

In fact...are you *sure* you're right? I just checked the Nikon web
site, and while the N70 isn't a current model, the N80 and the N75
*both* say they meter only with AF* and AI-P lenses. I'd expect the
N80 to be the same, or worse.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <mailto:dd-b@dd-b.net>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>

Paul Rubin 01-21-2006 07:45 PM

David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@dd-b.net> writes:
> In fact...are you *sure* you're right? I just checked the Nikon web
> site, and while the N70 isn't a current model, the N80 and the N75
> *both* say they meter only with AF* and AI-P lenses. I'd expect the
> N80 to be the same, or worse.

AI-P lenses have a CPU in them and will meter with any camera that can
meter with AF lenses, including the D70.

The D70 is sort of an N80 descendant and can't meter with non-CPU
lenses. That is, it's more closely related to the N80 than the N70.

The N70 is older than the N80 and as such, it was closer to the MF era
and it retained the ability to meter with MF lenses. That ability was
removed to save a few bucks in the later N80, and consequently in the
D100/D70.

Ken M 01-22-2006 02:13 AM

Re: Nikon D70s & Nikon AF-D lenses - Compatible?

Thanks for the help folks.

I'm toying with the idea of a D70s or D100 (there are still some very good
used one's around). I have 4 lenses with my N70, and I'd like to still use
them, and it appears as though I can do so. That can certainly save me some
big bucks.

I suppose what I see in the eye piece or view finder on the D70 or D100 will
be a lot more than will make it to my digital photo. What I see on the LCD
screen on the back of the digital camera will be the portion actually making
it's way to my digital photo, right?

Ken

Paul Rubin 01-22-2006 02:19 AM

Re: Nikon D70s & Nikon AF-D lenses - Compatible?

"Ken M" <mken1@tampabay.rr.com> writes:
> I suppose what I see in the eye piece or view finder on the D70 or
> D100 will be a lot more than will make it to my digital photo.

No, the D70/D100 viewfinders are masked so you only see what will go
into the digital file. Actually a little bit less.