Velocity Reviews

-   -   simple image editor (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t420730-simple-image-editor.html)

Jim 12-13-2005 04:22 PM

simple image editor

Hi,
I know this is a naive approach but I am looking for a very simple image
editor for an elderly relative.
All she needs is something to lighten, darken, contrast, sharpen.
Have been downloading various programs but they are all too complicated for
her to understand.
She is OK at getting her pictures on to the hard disc on her Windows XP SP2.
Some are a bit dark and she simply wants to lighten them before printing
them off.
Any help welcome.
Jim.

Barry Aldred 12-13-2005 04:35 PM

Re: simple image editor

http://picasa.google.com/download/index.html

Iraxl Enb 12-13-2005 04:36 PM

Re: simple image editor

Jim wrote:
> Hi,
> I know this is a naive approach but I am looking for a very simple image
> editor for an elderly relative.
> All she needs is something to lighten, darken, contrast, sharpen.
> Have been downloading various programs but they are all too complicated for
> her to understand.
> She is OK at getting her pictures on to the hard disc on her Windows XP SP2.
> Some are a bit dark and she simply wants to lighten them before printing
> them off.
> Any help welcome.
> Jim.

I recommend Picasa, with the "I'm Feeling Lucky" option
to enhance images...

--
-- irax
http://rumimmi.blogspot.com

john.tolley@tesco.net 12-13-2005 04:55 PM

Re: simple image editor

Go to google and download Picasa as there can not be a program much
easier to use and although it is a basic program it still has loads of
easy to use applications and a help forum that you can post querie's
to.Your picture's can be downloaded straight into picasa from scanner's
camera's folder's and are easy to use.It contain's a help facility
where you can view frequently asked question's also a search facility
which is very useful.I have recommended to many friends who have found
it to be excellent

Pete Fenelon 12-13-2005 05:13 PM

Re: simple image editor

Jim <oldman@invalid.not> wrote:
> Hi,
> I know this is a naive approach but I am looking for a very simple image
> editor for an elderly relative.
> All she needs is something to lighten, darken, contrast, sharpen.
> Have been downloading various programs but they are all too complicated for
> her to understand.
> She is OK at getting her pictures on to the hard disc on her Windows XP SP2.
> Some are a bit dark and she simply wants to lighten them before printing
> them off.

Another vote for picasa particularly if she takes a *lot* of pictures,
although practically, she might get better results from Photofiltre.

pete
--
pete@fenelon.com "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas"

Jim 12-13-2005 05:53 PM

Re: simple image editor

"Pete Fenelon" <pete@fenelon.com> wrote in message
> Jim <oldman@invalid.not> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I know this is a naive approach but I am looking for a very simple image
>> editor for an elderly relative.
>> All she needs is something to lighten, darken, contrast, sharpen.
>> Have been downloading various programs but they are all too complicated
>> for
>> her to understand.
>> She is OK at getting her pictures on to the hard disc on her Windows XP
>> SP2.
>> Some are a bit dark and she simply wants to lighten them before printing
>> them off.

> Another vote for picasa particularly if she takes a *lot* of pictures,
> although practically, she might get better results from Photofiltre.
>
> pete
> --
> pete@fenelon.com "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas"

So many votes for the same thing that you all have to be right.
I will get on it right away. Many thanks.
Jim.

Ed Ruf 12-13-2005 05:54 PM

Re: simple image editor

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 16:22:42 -0000, in rec.photo.digital "Jim"
<oldman@invalid.not> wrote:

>Hi,
> I know this is a naive approach but I am looking for a very simple image
>editor for an elderly relative.
>All she needs is something to lighten, darken, contrast, sharpen.
>Have been downloading various programs but they are all too complicated for
>her to understand.
>She is OK at getting her pictures on to the hard disc on her Windows XP SP2.
>Some are a bit dark and she simply wants to lighten them before printing
>them off.
>Any help welcome.
>Jim.

Sounds like Irfanview fits the bill.
http://www.irfanview.com
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com

Matt Ion 12-13-2005 06:47 PM

Re: simple image editor

Ed Ruf wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 16:22:42 -0000, in rec.photo.digital "Jim"
> <oldman@invalid.not> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>I know this is a naive approach but I am looking for a very simple image
>>editor for an elderly relative.
>>All she needs is something to lighten, darken, contrast, sharpen.
>>Have been downloading various programs but they are all too complicated for
>>her to understand.
>>She is OK at getting her pictures on to the hard disc on her Windows XP SP2.
>>Some are a bit dark and she simply wants to lighten them before printing
>>them off.
>>Any help welcome.
>>Jim.

> Sounds like Irfanview fits the bill.
> http://www.irfanview.com

I'll second the vote for IrfanView. It's not as "pretty" as Picasa, but
it's a lot faster and more efficient. Picasa is a really good FREE
program, but even on an Athlon64 3200+ with 1GB RAM, Picasa takes
upwards of 30 seconds to load up; IrfanView makes an excellent
all-around media viewer and it loads up almost instantly even on slower
machines.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0550-1, 12/13/2005
Tested on: 12/13/2005 10:47:24 AM

Jim 12-13-2005 08:59 PM

Re: simple image editor

"Matt Ion" <soundy@moltenimage.com> wrote in message
> Ed Ruf wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 16:22:42 -0000, in rec.photo.digital "Jim"
>> <oldman@invalid.not> wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>I know this is a naive approach but I am looking for a very simple image
>>>editor for an elderly relative.
>>>All she needs is something to lighten, darken, contrast, sharpen.
>>>Have been downloading various programs but they are all too complicated
>>>for her to understand.
>>>She is OK at getting her pictures on to the hard disc on her Windows XP
>>>SP2.
>>>Some are a bit dark and she simply wants to lighten them before printing
>>>them off.
>>>Any help welcome.
>>>Jim.

>> Sounds like Irfanview fits the bill.
>> http://www.irfanview.com

> I'll second the vote for IrfanView. It's not as "pretty" as Picasa, but
> it's a lot faster and more efficient. Picasa is a really good FREE
> program, but even on an Athlon64 3200+ with 1GB RAM, Picasa takes upwards
> of 30 seconds to load up; IrfanView makes an excellent all-around media
> viewer and it loads up almost instantly even on slower machines.

I have now down loaded both of these programs to try on my own computer
before
passing them on to her. I think she will manage the simpler to understand
Picassa best.
It is no trouble loading up as it takes only 5 seconds to fully load.
Thanks again to you all for your help.
Jim.

Eatmorepies 12-13-2005 09:29 PM

Re: simple image editor

"Jim" <oldman@invalid.not> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I know this is a naive approach but I am looking for a very simple image
> editor for an elderly relative.
> All she needs is something to lighten, darken, contrast, sharpen.
> Have been downloading various programs but they are all too complicated
> for her to understand.
> She is OK at getting her pictures on to the hard disc on her Windows XP
> SP2.
> Some are a bit dark and she simply wants to lighten them before printing
> them off.
> Any help welcome.
> Jim.

Elements 4 is worth a look. I have found its smart auto fix button works
very well. It has plenty of facilities but the various auto fix solutions
are quite good.

John