Velocity Reviews

-   -   Walkin' around lens (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t420550-walkin-around-lens.html)

Joe 12-06-2005 12:03 AM

Walkin' around lens

I have pretty much settled on a Canon 20D as my first dSLR camera. I
am trying to decide between the 2 kits offered with the lenses below
or buy a body and mate up a lens.
EF-S 17-85 IS
EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6

I read quite a bit on this group and read the phrase walkin' around
lens. I expect Canon would describe both of the above as suitable for
that purpose.

What do you consider a good lens for general purpose use on the 20D?

What is your own walkin around lens and why that choice?

Thanks

Joe

RON 12-06-2005 12:44 AM

Re: Walkin' around lens

I have a 20D and between the two lens you have noted by all means go with
the 17--85mm . The IS makes a big difference.
My walk around lens is a 24--70mm F2.8 L USM.

Pat 12-06-2005 12:52 AM

Re: Walkin' around lens

The 17-85 was my first lens. Its the lens that spends most of the time on
my camera. You will probably buy all the other len's soon. I've got 5 now
and looking for more.

Mike H 12-06-2005 01:09 AM

Re: Walkin' around lens

I got the 17 - 85 IS for my 20D and have been very satisfied with it. I've been
especially happy with the low-light capabilities of the combination. If you want to
see some examples ("Travel log" type photos, not "artsy") check my web site:
http://www.hammocktree.org/ms/CMTC05/CMTC05.html

Mike H.

Skip M 12-06-2005 02:16 AM

Re: Walkin' around lens

"Joe" <retriever@black.lab> wrote in message
> Walkin' around lens
>
> I have pretty much settled on a Canon 20D as my first dSLR camera. I
> am trying to decide between the 2 kits offered with the lenses below
> or buy a body and mate up a lens.
> EF-S 17-85 IS
> EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
>
> I read quite a bit on this group and read the phrase walkin' around
> lens. I expect Canon would describe both of the above as suitable for
> that purpose.
>
> What do you consider a good lens for general purpose use on the 20D?
>
> What is your own walkin around lens and why that choice?
>
> Thanks
>
> Joe

My own "walking around" lens is the 28-135IS, which, on my 5D is the
equivalent of the 17-85IS on the 20D, because of the crop factor, or lack of
it on my 5D. The same lens pretty much served/serves the same role on my
20D, 'cause my 16-35 is a bit bulky just to carry around, and doesn't get
enough reach for most "walking around" shots, and it serves this role in
place of my 24-70 because that thing is much heavier than the 28-135, or the
17-85, for that matter.
IS will bail you out more times than you can anticipate. If the choice is
between equivalent lenses, one with IS and one without, I will always choose
the one with.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Eatmorepies 12-06-2005 07:07 PM

Re: Walkin' around lens

> I read quite a bit on this group and read the phrase walkin' around
> lens. I expect Canon would describe both of the above as suitable for
> that purpose.
>
> What do you consider a good lens for general purpose use on the 20D?

I have a 350D and use a 16-35 f2.8 L as my walk about lens because of the
shots I tend to take when out on a non-specific shoot. It's a bit big so you
may be better with the 17 - 40 f4 L; and save some money. As second choice I
use my 24 - 70 f2.8L. Again it's bulky and heavy but it does take excellent
pictures. The new 24 - 105 f4 IS L may be of interest to you. I shall
certainly be looking at one of these when Canon have settled the slight
technical problem the first ones have had.

John

Leonardo@vespuci.com 12-07-2005 01:26 AM

Re: Walkin' around lens

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 19:03:14 -0500, Joe <retriever@black.lab> wrote:

>Walkin' around lens
>
>I have pretty much settled on a Canon 20D as my first dSLR camera. I
>am trying to decide between the 2 kits offered with the lenses below
>or buy a body and mate up a lens.
>EF-S 17-85 IS
>EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
>
>I read quite a bit on this group and read the phrase walkin' around
>lens. I expect Canon would describe both of the above as suitable for
>that purpose.
>
>What do you consider a good lens for general purpose use on the 20D?
>
>What is your own walkin around lens and why that choice?
>
>Thanks
>
>Joe

Mine is a 28-300, all purpose and no need to invite dust-bunnies into the
camera...

Skip M 12-07-2005 02:47 AM

Re: Walkin' around lens

<Leonardo@vespuci.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 19:03:14 -0500, Joe <retriever@black.lab> wrote:
>
>>Walkin' around lens
>>
>>I have pretty much settled on a Canon 20D as my first dSLR camera. I
>>am trying to decide between the 2 kits offered with the lenses below
>>or buy a body and mate up a lens.
>>EF-S 17-85 IS
>>EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
>>
>>I read quite a bit on this group and read the phrase walkin' around
>>lens. I expect Canon would describe both of the above as suitable for
>>that purpose.
>>
>>What do you consider a good lens for general purpose use on the 20D?
>>
>>What is your own walkin around lens and why that choice?
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Joe

> Mine is a 28-300, all purpose and no need to invite dust-bunnies into the
> camera...

$2200 can pay for a lot of sensor cleaning...

jean 12-09-2005 04:05 AM

Re: Walkin' around lens

"Joe" <retriever@black.lab> a écrit dans le message de
> Walkin' around lens
>
> I have pretty much settled on a Canon 20D as my first dSLR camera. I
> am trying to decide between the 2 kits offered with the lenses below
> or buy a body and mate up a lens.
> EF-S 17-85 IS
> EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
>
> I read quite a bit on this group and read the phrase walkin' around
> lens. I expect Canon would describe both of the above as suitable for
> that purpose.
>
> What do you consider a good lens for general purpose use on the 20D?
>
> What is your own walkin around lens and why that choice?

Canon 17-40 f4 L covers the right range, sharp, fast to focus, lighter than
my 24-70 f2.8L and a lot smaller too. The downside, f4 which is easily
compensated by bumping up the ISO.

Jean

grendel@gmail.com 12-09-2005 04:55 PM

Re: Walkin' around lens

If you're planning on staying with non-full frame digitals for a while,
I'd consider the sigma 18-50 f/2.8 EX. Wider range than the canon
17-40, constant f/2.8 and sharp (at f/4). Aside from a bit of
vignetting, and louder AF motor, I love mine. Of course, you'll be
SOL if you wind up with a 5D, but it costs a couple hundred bucks less.