Velocity Reviews

-   -   MyPublisher.com - what does this mean? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t420342-mypublisher-com-what-does-this-mean.html)

kasterborus@yahoo.com 11-28-2005 03:31 PM

MyPublisher.com - what does this mean?

Hi,

I was reading the terms of service on the MyPublisher.com site. I don't
understand the last sentence of this section:

"You acknowledge and agree that any submission may be published,
copied, customized, removed, transmitted and shown by MyPublisher for
the purposes of delivering the Services. In addition, you warrant that
all moral rights in any uploaded images and materials have been waived.
"

What does it mean that all moral rights in any uploaded image have been
waived?
Do they take over ownership?

Dave

Charlie Self 11-28-2005 03:41 PM

Re: MyPublisher.com - what does this mean?

kasterborus@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was reading the terms of service on the MyPublisher.com site. I don't
> understand the last sentence of this section:
>
> "You acknowledge and agree that any submission may be published,
> copied, customized, removed, transmitted and shown by MyPublisher for
> the purposes of delivering the Services. In addition, you warrant that
> all moral rights in any uploaded images and materials have been waived.
> "
>
> What does it mean that all moral rights in any uploaded image have been
> waived?
> Do they take over ownership?
>
> Dave

Sounds like they took over ownership before that. The "moral rights"
clause would have me backpedaling, as it can mean just about anything
their lawyers want it to mean.

Neil Ellwood 11-28-2005 07:22 PM

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 07:31:12 -0800, kasterborus wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was reading the terms of service on the MyPublisher.com site. I don't
> understand the last sentence of this section:
>
> "You acknowledge and agree that any submission may be published,
> copied, customized, removed, transmitted and shown by MyPublisher for
> the purposes of delivering the Services. In addition, you warrant that
> all moral rights in any uploaded images and materials have been waived.
> "
>
> What does it mean that all moral rights in any uploaded image have been
> waived?
> Do they take over ownership?
>
> Dave

Hard luck you have given them the pictures.
In other businesses it would be called something like fraud or stealing
but in deals like this they call it sharp business acumen.

--
Neil
Linux Counter 335851

kashe@sonic.net 12-02-2005 02:59 AM

On 28 Nov 2005 07:31:12 -0800, kasterborus@yahoo.com wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I was reading the terms of service on the MyPublisher.com site. I don't
>understand the last sentence of this section:
>
>"You acknowledge and agree that any submission may be published,
>copied, customized, removed, transmitted and shown by MyPublisher for
>the purposes of delivering the Services. In addition, you warrant that
>all moral rights in any uploaded images and materials have been waived.
>"
>
>What does it mean that all moral rights in any uploaded image have been
>waived?
>Do they take over ownership?
>
>Dave

It means you're screwed because you're dealing with someone
who would put such terms in a contract. For further detail, contact a
real lawyer.

Paul Rubin 12-02-2005 03:16 AM

kasterborus@yahoo.com writes:
> What does it mean that all moral rights in any uploaded image have been
> waived?
> Do they take over ownership?

It doesn't sound that way, but you have to read through the whole
agreement.

Moral rights are a concept from copyright law in Europe and some other
countries. It's not recognized in the US. It means among other
things that if you publish something, you can change your mind later
and require that publication cease. I think that clause is intended
for non-Americans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_rights