Velocity Reviews

-   -   How to place camera in bag, lens down or lens to side (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t420325-how-to-place-camera-in-bag-lens-down-or-lens-to-side.html)

RW 11-28-2005 01:26 AM

How to place camera in bag, lens down or lens to side

I was in a camera store the other day trying out camera bags and
placed my digital camera in the bag the same way as always, lens to
the side, base down. The salesman said no no, always place it in the
bag lens down, LCD up, its better for the camera. Seems like all the
weight on the lens would be worse for the camera. Opinions? Thanks.

MarkČ 11-28-2005 01:46 AM

Re: How to place camera in bag, lens down or lens to side

RW wrote:
> I was in a camera store the other day trying out camera bags and
> placed my digital camera in the bag the same way as always, lens to
> the side, base down. The salesman said no no, always place it in the
> bag lens down, LCD up, its better for the camera. Seems like all the
> weight on the lens would be worse for the camera. Opinions? Thanks.

The salesman was talking out of his back-side, as the importance of this
varies according to camera/lens design.
The lens is, by far, the most pressure-sensitive in terms of banging (save
for the LCD, which might be scratched or cracked).

Are you talking about a DSLR...or a small point-and-shoot?

ASAAR 11-28-2005 01:47 AM

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 20:26:02 -0500, RW wrote:

> I was in a camera store the other day trying out camera bags and
> placed my digital camera in the bag the same way as always, lens to
> the side, base down. The salesman said no no, always place it in the
> bag lens down, LCD up, its better for the camera. Seems like all the
> weight on the lens would be worse for the camera. Opinions? Thanks.

I'd agree with the salesman if the bag was able to support the
camera, so that the weight wouldn't be on the lens. The design of
the lens probably also is a factor, and I wouldn't want to stand my
Fuji P&S with its 10x zoom on its lens, as it's probably more
fragile than most. Many modern lenses have abandoned rugged metal
construction and gearing for nylon or other plastic materials, which
are more easily damaged. For a camera with a large lens mounted,
I'd rather have it supported horizontally, with moderately dense
foam supporting the extended lens. If the lens is so large as to
dwarf the camera, then the prime consideration should be to provide
good support and protection for the lens, with the camera not being
an afterthought, but of less concern than usual. In this case it
might be better to store the camera in the bag without it being
attached to the lens. A little less convenient, but safer. Or
maybe store the camera with a small lens attached.

Randall Ainsworth 11-28-2005 02:19 AM

Re: How to place camera in bag, lens down or lens to side

In article <1qmko1l80kfeekf3mkuc66357sc2k2ctup@4ax.com>, RW
<none@none.com> wrote:

> I was in a camera store the other day trying out camera bags and
> placed my digital camera in the bag the same way as always, lens to
> the side, base down. The salesman said no no, always place it in the
> bag lens down, LCD up, its better for the camera. Seems like all the
> weight on the lens would be worse for the camera. Opinions? Thanks.

People still use camera bags?

Peter A. Stavrakoglou 11-28-2005 02:30 AM

"Randall Ainsworth" <rag@nospam.techline.com> wrote in message
> In article <1qmko1l80kfeekf3mkuc66357sc2k2ctup@4ax.com>, RW
> <none@none.com> wrote:
>
>> I was in a camera store the other day trying out camera bags and
>> placed my digital camera in the bag the same way as always, lens to
>> the side, base down. The salesman said no no, always place it in the
>> bag lens down, LCD up, its better for the camera. Seems like all the
>> weight on the lens would be worse for the camera. Opinions? Thanks.

> People still use camera bags?

Yes, camera bags. You remember them, don't you?

irwell 11-28-2005 02:38 AM

Re: How to place camera in bag, lens down or lens to side

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 18:19:49 -0800, Randall Ainsworth
<rag@nospam.techline.com> wrote:

>In article <1qmko1l80kfeekf3mkuc66357sc2k2ctup@4ax.com>, RW
><none@none.com> wrote:
>
>> I was in a camera store the other day trying out camera bags and
>> placed my digital camera in the bag the same way as always, lens to
>> the side, base down. The salesman said no no, always place it in the
>> bag lens down, LCD up, its better for the camera. Seems like all the
>> weight on the lens would be worse for the camera. Opinions? Thanks.

>People still use camera bags?

Only us dorks.

Allodoxaphobia 11-28-2005 02:56 AM

Re: How to place camera in bag, lens down or lens to side

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 20:26:02 -0500, RW wrote:
> I was in a camera store the other day trying out camera bags and
> placed my digital camera in the bag the same way as always, lens to
> the side, base down. The salesman said no no, always place it in the
> bag lens down, LCD up, its better for the camera. Seems like all the
> weight on the lens would be worse for the camera. Opinions? Thanks.

If it's a P&S -- where the lens retracts and/or is otherwise covered up, I'd
place it in the bag in such a way that the LCD received the most protection.

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
Pueblo, Colorado | @ config.com | Jonesy | OS/2

MarkČ 11-28-2005 03:10 AM

irwell wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 18:19:49 -0800, Randall Ainsworth
> <rag@nospam.techline.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <1qmko1l80kfeekf3mkuc66357sc2k2ctup@4ax.com>, RW
>> <none@none.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I was in a camera store the other day trying out camera bags and
>>> placed my digital camera in the bag the same way as always, lens to
>>> the side, base down. The salesman said no no, always place it in the
>>> bag lens down, LCD up, its better for the camera. Seems like all the
>>> weight on the lens would be worse for the camera. Opinions? Thanks.

>> People still use camera bags?

> Only us dorks.

Then I'm a quintuple dork, since I have 5 camera bags, adn us them all.

cjcampbell 11-28-2005 03:35 AM

Re: How to place camera in bag, lens down or lens to side

The salesman may have been thinking (if he WAS thinking) of the fact
that heavy DSLR lenses have their own tripod mount. This is partly to
help the camera balance better on the tripod, but it is also to keep
the camera from supporting the full weight of a heavy lens. It is
possible for the lens to wear the lens mount enough that it will always
wiggle a little on the camera body. This was more common in the old
days before modern SLR lens mounts, but it is still possible. There
were some older cameras where it was possible for the lens to pull the
mount right off.

The thing is, if a lens is that heavy, it is also going to be big
enough that it will rest on the floor of the camera bag along with the
body, so there should not be any special strain there.

I can think of one good reason NOT to rest the camera on the lens face
down -- a severe bump could crack some quick-mount lens hoods or break
the threads off of them, although it usually takes dropping the lens
onto concrete to do that. But it seems that a holster type camera bag
gives enough protection that it should not be a problem.

Personally, I like LowePro's Street & Field series waistbelt, shoulder
harness and lens cases with an AW holster in back. I find it convenient
and easy on the old bod, but it looks geeky for sure. For travel
storage I use a LowePro rolling camera case and pack the Street & Field
gear. It looks enough like ordinary carry-on luggage that it does not
attract undue attention. I scuffed it up some before using it the first
time, too. The empty lens cases in my luggage are great for stowing
socks and underwear.

Randall Ainsworth 11-28-2005 04:04 AM

Re: How to place camera in bag, lens down or lens to side

In article <HYtif.29753$7n6.18665@fe08.lga>, Peter A. Stavrakoglou
<ntotrr@optonline.net> wrote:

> Yes, camera bags. You remember them, don't you?

Oh yeah...those things where all of your expensive camera stuff bangs
around into each other. And they're so convenient when you're out in
the field. You have to find a place to set the bag down, then rummage
around inside to find the gizmo you're looking for.

Sorry, haven't used 'em in years.