Velocity Reviews

-   -   Sony R1: In-depth Technical Review (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t420143-sony-r1-in-depth-technical-review.html)

deryck lant 11-20-2005 12:08 PM

Sony R1: In-depth Technical Review

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/R1/R1A.HTM

Quote:
The R1 produces excellent pictures with exceptional optical quality
at a relatively bargain price.

Beautiful crisp 13x19inch prints with very good tonality.
ISO 1600 soft but usable at 8x10.

Deryck

filodeclic 11-20-2005 12:40 PM

Re: Sony R1: In-depth Technical Review

yes i think so.
but i expect some more détails as you can see

http://lesiohc.net/SONY%20NEW

31303030313839354380673D44@deryck.com...

=?iso-8859-1?q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?= 11-20-2005 01:51 PM

deryck lant <deryck@deryck.com> writes:

> ISO 1600 soft but usable at 8x10.

Result of heavy noise reduction?

--
Måns Rullgård
mru@inprovide.com

Gary Eickmeier 11-20-2005 03:13 PM

deryck lant wrote:

> http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/R1/R1A.HTM
>
> Quote:
> The R1 produces excellent pictures with exceptional optical quality
> at a relatively bargain price.
>
> Beautiful crisp 13x19inch prints with very good tonality.
> ISO 1600 soft but usable at 8x10.

This is a sensational camera. Digital as it should be done. I may get
one just to study it.

Gary Eickmeier

Chris Brown 11-20-2005 03:27 PM

Re: Sony R1: In-depth Technical Review

In article <31303030313839354380673D44@deryck.com>,
deryck lant <deryck@deryck.com> wrote:
>http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/R1/R1A.HTM
>
>Quote:
>The R1 produces excellent pictures with exceptional optical quality
>at a relatively bargain price.
>
>Beautiful crisp 13x19inch prints with very good tonality.
>ISO 1600 soft but usable at 8x10.

*cough* Er, the 19*13 prints from my EOS 5D aren't "crisp", at least not
compared to the same sized prints from 6*7, so I find that conclusion rather
suspect.

deryck lant 11-20-2005 08:22 PM

Re: Sony R1: In-depth Technical Review

The message <yw1x3blrtol6.fsf@ford.inprovide.com>
from Måns_Rullgård <mru@inprovide.com> contains these words:

> deryck lant <deryck@deryck.com> writes:

> > ISO 1600 soft but usable at 8x10.

> Result of heavy noise reduction?

The Sony does use powerful noise suppression to flatten the noise.

Deryck

deryck lant 11-20-2005 08:23 PM

Re: Sony R1: In-depth Technical Review

The message <lbg653-2kc.ln1@narcissus.dyndns.org>
from Chris Brown <cpbrown@ntlworld.no_uce_please.com> contains these words:

> In article <31303030313839354380673D44@deryck.com>,
> deryck lant <deryck@deryck.com> wrote:
> >http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/R1/R1A.HTM
> >
> >Quote:
> >The R1 produces excellent pictures with exceptional optical quality
> >at a relatively bargain price.
> >
> >Beautiful crisp 13x19inch prints with very good tonality.
> >ISO 1600 soft but usable at 8x10.

> *cough* Er, the 19*13 prints from my EOS 5D aren't "crisp", at least not
> compared to the same sized prints from 6*7, so I find that conclusion rather
> suspect.

We have an exceptional lens here. And only 0.2 percent barrel distortion
at 24mm!

This is what the man says:

The real secret to getting incredible detail from the Sony R1 is to
shoot with the camera's internal sharpening control on its Low setting,
and then apply strong/tight unsharp masking in Photoshop(tm) or other
imaging software. The crops above show the difference this makes. With
the internal sharpening dialed down, the images get very soft, but the
artifacts caused by the camera's sharpening are almost completely
eliminated. To compensate for the absence of the camera's sharpening,
you need to apply quite a lot of unsharp masking (try 400% or more), but
if you keep the radius very small (0.3 pixels, 0.4 at most), the result
is very crisp images, with virtually no sharpening artifacts, and
exceptional fine detail. (In the images above, note how the R1's default
sharpening coarsened the delicate stems on the leaves, and how soft the
edges of the leaves appear, particularly when compared with the results
of the Photoshop sharpening. - Click on either crop to see the full-size
image.)

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/R1/R1A13.HTM

This camera could be useful to some architects and fine art people. Dead
quiet too for
live theatre use.

And of course no vibration for longer exposures.

Deryck

Chris Brown 11-20-2005 10:30 PM

Re: Sony R1: In-depth Technical Review

In article <31303030313839354380DB3666@deryck.com>,
deryck lant <deryck@deryck.com> wrote:
>The message <lbg653-2kc.ln1@narcissus.dyndns.org>
>from Chris Brown <cpbrown@ntlworld.no_uce_please.com> contains these words:
>
>> *cough* Er, the 19*13 prints from my EOS 5D aren't "crisp", at least not
>> compared to the same sized prints from 6*7, so I find that conclusion rather
>> suspect.

>We have an exceptional lens here. And only 0.2 percent barrel distortion
>at 24mm!

It could be the best lens in the world, the thing ain't got enough pixels to
make a "crisp" 13*19 print, not if it's full of foliage.

Kinon O'cann 11-20-2005 10:56 PM

Re: Sony R1: In-depth Technical Review

It looks nice, but unless you need one of it's unique features, like silent
shooting, who will buy it? It's not much smaller than a 20D, and doesn't
offer any of the "swiss army knife" features of the 828. I've thought about
this, as a replacement for the 828, and I can't see it. The 828 makes a nice
adjunct to the 20D system, and offers movie mode, a nice zoom range, etc.
But the R1 doesn't really offer me anything that the 20D doesn't, and isn't
really a suitable adjunct to the 20D. Not for me, I guess.

Rich 11-21-2005 02:47 AM

Re: Sony R1: In-depth Technical Review

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 20:22:42 GMT, deryck lant <deryck@deryck.com>
wrote:

>The message <yw1x3blrtol6.fsf@ford.inprovide.com>
>from Måns_Rullgård <mru@inprovide.com> contains these words:
>
>> deryck lant <deryck@deryck.com> writes:

>> > ISO 1600 soft but usable at 8x10.

>> Result of heavy noise reduction?

>The Sony does use powerful noise suppression to flatten the noise.
>
>Deryck

Doesn't matter. That library shot that showed up in early samples
(1600ISO) was very good. Great detail and good sharpness in the
picture.
-Rich