Velocity Reviews

-   -   How do you do those two tone pics? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t419979-how-do-you-do-those-two-tone-pics.html)

Sken 11-14-2005 02:20 AM

How do you do those two tone pics?

I've done some of those B/W pics with a colorful dress, or my daughters
eyes but I do it by selecting the area, cutting it out and dropping it
back into the photo after I convert it to B/W, is there an easier way?
I use Paint Ship Pro X,

SK

Paul Heslop 11-14-2005 08:29 AM

Re: How do you do those two tone pics?

Sken wrote:

> I've done some of those B/W pics with a colorful dress, or my daughters
> eyes but I do it by selecting the area, cutting it out and dropping it
> back into the photo after I convert it to B/W, is there an easier way?
> I use Paint Ship Pro X,
>
> SK

Lasso the area you want to keep colour then look in the selection
section (I think) for 'invert' If all your settings are right this
should reverse the lasso and surround the rest of the picture, making
that section workable and the originally lassoed one protected. You
can then remove colour etc from the rest of the image without touching
the original section.

--
Paul (Sometimes my mind plays tricks on me)
Stop and Look

peter 11-14-2005 04:15 PM

"Sken" <SK@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I've done some of those B/W pics with a colorful dress, or my daughters
> eyes but I do it by selecting the area, cutting it out and dropping it
> back into the photo after I convert it to B/W, is there an easier way? I
> use Paint Ship Pro X,

The two ways I know are
using lasso to select
painting on a mask

I usually use selection to get the first draft, then paint/erase on the mask
to fine tune the result.

In photoshop, I do something like this:
select the area I want color
invert the selection
create an adjustment layer that turns the selected area to gray (e.g. use
saturation and turn it down or use channel mixer)
then use the erase/paint to add/subtract to the color area

If there is a black/gray/white area between the color and B/W area then the
selection doesn't have to be exact.