Velocity Reviews

-   -   Olympus C-770 stays on (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t419809-olympus-c-770-stays-on.html)

Chris Seal 11-08-2005 04:09 AM

Olympus C-770 stays on

Suddenly my out-of-warranty C-770 will not turn off. It stays in playback
mode and the lens does not retract.

After the no activity timeout the camera does switch off but the lens
remains extended.

I just noticed after leaving the camera at home when I went out that the
lens did retract by itself (maybe I should go out more!)

Is a service visit called for, or can I fix it at home (with a hammer?).

Meanwhile, back to the Brownie....

Chris

Ken Weitzel 11-08-2005 04:58 AM

Re: Olympus C-770 stays on

Chris Seal wrote:
> Suddenly my out-of-warranty C-770 will not turn off. It stays in playback
> mode and the lens does not retract.
>
> After the no activity timeout the camera does switch off but the lens
> remains extended.
>
> I just noticed after leaving the camera at home when I went out that the
> lens did retract by itself (maybe I should go out more!)
>
> Is a service visit called for, or can I fix it at home (with a hammer?).
>
> Meanwhile, back to the Brownie....
>
> Chris

Hi Chris...

Gee, another flashback! My old Brownie Hawkeye :) :)

I'd suggest that the first and simplest test should perhaps be to
simply remove the batteries; leave them out for 24 hours or so.

Then re-install them and see how it goes.

Take care.

Ken

Paul Allen 11-08-2005 06:04 AM

Re: Olympus C-770 stays on

Ken Weitzel wrote:

> Chris Seal wrote:
>
>> Suddenly my out-of-warranty C-770 will not turn off. It stays in playback
>> mode and the lens does not retract.
>>
>> After the no activity timeout the camera does switch off but the lens
>> remains extended.
>>
>> I just noticed after leaving the camera at home when I went out that the
>> lens did retract by itself (maybe I should go out more!)
>>
>> Is a service visit called for, or can I fix it at home (with a hammer?).
>>
>> Meanwhile, back to the Brownie....
>>
>> Chris

> Hi Chris...
>
> Gee, another flashback! My old Brownie Hawkeye :) :)

Gee, indeed! My first camera was a Brownie Starmite. It ended
its service life with most of its non-essential components removed
as a payload on a kite, with a rubber band, some string, and a fuse
to trigger the shutter. I don't recall getting anything useful from
that experiment. :-)

> I'd suggest that the first and simplest test should perhaps be to
> simply remove the batteries; leave them out for 24 hours or so.

I'd suggest the same thing. If you can get Olympus to talk to you,
they'll probably want more than the value of the camera just to
look at the thing. It's not that big a deal if it routinely goes
to sleep with the lens extended, is it? I mean, it's not ideal,
but is it so bad that you'd go back to the Brownie? Will it not
turn back on once it's got itself stuck?

Paul Allen

Keith Sheppard 11-08-2005 09:27 AM

Re: Olympus C-770 stays on

>>If you can get Olympus to talk to you,
>>they'll probably want more than the value of the camera just to
>>look at the thing.

I don't know if it varies with country, but in the UK I sent my Oly back for
a repair and I got a written estimate from Olympus and the terms were I
could accept the fixed price repair or, if I thought it was too much, have
them send the camera back to me, unrepaired, and all I'd lost was the
initial postage. I thought that wasn't a bad deal.

Keith

Shaw news 11-09-2005 12:51 AM

Re: Olympus C-770 stays on

I had the same thing happened to my C-740 when I forgot to flip open the
Olycap and the lens attempted to extend against an obstruction. It stuck
extended. Finally fixed after pulling and pushing the lens tube while the
camera is cranking. Perhaps the same is happening here. Good luck.

--
NOSPAMddlee10@hotmail.com
remove NOSPAM for email address
news:ZxVbf.11716$1L3.342332@news20.bellglobal.com. ..

Chris Seal 11-10-2005 01:08 AM

Re: Olympus C-770 stays on

You might be on to something there.

When the camera has timed out, just touching the extended lens turns it on.

I'll play around with that idea.

BTW. I removed the battery for 48 hours, but it didn't reset anything.

Chris Seal 11-11-2005 12:59 AM

Re: Olympus C-770 stays on

Playing around with the lens barrel didn't change anything.

But, here's some more information.

Run camera, set no activity timer to 30 seconds.
Turn off camera. Lens does not retract and camera stays on in playback mode.
Timeout occurs. LCD shuts off but lens does not retract.
Five hours later the lens retracts!

No, I didn't watch over it for five hours. The camera was next to me while I
was working.

Incidentally, between the timeout and five hours, if any control on the
camera is touched, the camera wakes up. After the five-hour wait, touching
the camera's controls does not wake it up-it is truly off.

Are there any camera technicians who can tell me what is happening?

news:I%Icf.16025$1L3.760409@news20.bellglobal.com. ..

Ken Weitzel 11-11-2005 03:03 AM

Re: Olympus C-770 stays on

Chris Seal wrote:
> Playing around with the lens barrel didn't change anything.
>
> But, here's some more information.
>
> Run camera, set no activity timer to 30 seconds.
> Turn off camera. Lens does not retract and camera stays on in playback mode.
> Timeout occurs. LCD shuts off but lens does not retract.
> Five hours later the lens retracts!
>
> No, I didn't watch over it for five hours. The camera was next to me while I
> was working.
>
> Incidentally, between the timeout and five hours, if any control on the
> camera is touched, the camera wakes up. After the five-hour wait, touching
> the camera's controls does not wake it up-it is truly off.
>
> Are there any camera technicians who can tell me what is happening?

Hi Chris...

Send me an email, please.

Ken

ASAAR 11-11-2005 09:11 AM

Re: Olympus C-770 stays on

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 19:59:43 -0500, Chris Seal wrote:

>> BTW. I removed the battery for 48 hours, but it didn't reset anything.

> Run camera, set no activity timer to 30 seconds.
> Turn off camera. Lens does not retract and camera stays on in playback mode.
> Timeout occurs. LCD shuts off but lens does not retract.
> Five hours later the lens retracts!
>
> No, I didn't watch over it for five hours. The camera was next to me while I
> was working.
>
> Incidentally, between the timeout and five hours, if any control on the
> camera is touched, the camera wakes up. After the five-hour wait, touching
> the camera's controls does not wake it up-it is truly off.

There's one more thing you could try, depending on what you meant
by "but it didn't reset anything" after the battery had been removed
for 48 hours. If you meant that the camera still didn't function
normally but the camera's settings were lost, or its clock /
calendar was off and had to be reset, then it needs to be repaired
or replaced. But if the settings or clock / calendar were not
affected, then the camera's internal computer might only need to be
reset, and removing the battery for only 48 hours isn't long enough
to accomplish that. Usually that would be long enough if a normal
capacitor is used to keep the memory/clock going while the batteries
are removed. But a few cameras use a small internal battery that
recharges slowly from the voltage supplied by the main battery.
Some Sony cameras do this, and their manual states that the small
internal battery can protect the memory settings and clock /
calendar for up to a month. If your Olympus camera is designed
similarly and you can get by without the use of it for an extended
period, you could see if leaving the battery out for a month or more
will allow the camera to reset itself. It would be best, though, if
an Olympus technician could first verify this. If the technician
says that a reset will occur after 4 days, you wouldn't have to
unnecessarily be without the use of the camera for nearly a month.
On the other hand, if you were told that the main battery had to be
removed for at least 45 days, you'd know that removing the battery
for only 30 days would also be a fruitless waste of time, but would
now know the correct amount of time to have the battery removed.

Chris Seal 11-12-2005 02:44 AM

Re: Olympus C-770 stays on

Hi ASAAR,

No settings were lost after 48 hr without main battery.

I'll have to find out how long the internal battery lasts, then keep the
main battery out for longer than that.

Have to get another camera in the meantime - that Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II
looks good (it's only money!).

Thanks...