Velocity Reviews

-   -   Lense recommendation (alternative to Kit lense) for Rebel XT (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t419514-lense-recommendation-alternative-to-kit-lense-for-rebel-xt.html)

eh 10-27-2005 06:39 PM

Lense recommendation (alternative to Kit lense) for Rebel XT

Hi,

I am getting ready to buy a digital Rebel XT. After reading
so many negative reviews of its kit lense, I am going to just get a
XT body and purchase a separate zoom lense.

I am an armature photographer and the XT will be my first
DSLR. I mostly shoot portraits, my kid (moves a lot), and some
landscaping. At the time being, I want to get one general purpose
zoom lense that I can carry around and produces sharp pictures.
And I also can't afford getting one of those L lenses. :)

Lense I am looking at now.

- Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM
Costs around $250; Is this lense significantly better than the kit
lense? It appears to have good build quality.

- Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Standard Zoom Lens
Costs $480. Do you think it is a good investment to spend $230 extra
to get IS capability? I think it would help to shoot in low light cond
since the lowest f stop is 3.5?

Any other recommendations?

Eugene

paul.busse@gmail.com 10-27-2005 07:07 PM

Re: Lense recommendation (alternative to Kit lense) for Rebel XT

My XT lives with the 28-135 IS on it most of the time---but for really
low light I use the 50 1.8--

Paul B.

fj40rockcrawler@gmail.com 10-27-2005 08:05 PM

Re: Lense recommendation (alternative to Kit lense) for Rebel XT

I just ordered the Rebel XT today, should be delivered tomorrow. I
also went through many mental gymnastics about what lens to buy, ditch
the kit lens or keep it, etc. Also complicating the matter is there
are currently rebates on the Rebel XT and lenses, and the rebates
double and triple depending on other things purchased, so that weighed
into my thinking some.

I have actually not heard many bad reviews about the kit lens, it's not
a "L" series lens, but for a cheap (<$75) lens, that goes from
28mm-88mm it's hard to beat. A few reviewers (stevesdigicams.com I
think) actually had very good things to say about the updated kit lens
(which is what I'd guess they would all come with now), how it was
noticably sharper than the kit lens originally put with the Rebel
camera.

My conclusiong was to just get the kit lens, and play with it, see if I
can 'break' it (not physically, but see if I can notice flaws in it,
things that don't work right, etc)...I know many people that took the
wait and see approach with a lens and they were pleasantly surprised by
how good it was, hopefully I will be too.

Good Luck!

Robert R Kircher, Jr. 10-27-2005 10:18 PM

"eh" <eh@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am getting ready to buy a digital Rebel XT. After reading
> so many negative reviews of its kit lense, I am going to just get a
> XT body and purchase a separate zoom lense.
>
> I am an armature photographer and the XT will be my first
> DSLR. I mostly shoot portraits, my kid (moves a lot), and some
> landscaping. At the time being, I want to get one general purpose
> zoom lense that I can carry around and produces sharp pictures.
> And I also can't afford getting one of those L lenses. :)
>
> Lense I am looking at now.
>
> - Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM
> Costs around $250; Is this lense significantly better than the kit
> lense? It appears to have good build quality.
>
> - Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Standard Zoom Lens
> Costs $480. Do you think it is a good investment to spend $230 extra
> to get IS capability? I think it would help to shoot in low light cond
> since the lowest f stop is 3.5?
>
> Any other recommendations?

IS is most defiantly worth the extra money IMO. I bought the 28-135 for my
DRebel and never went back to the kit lens. It's now on my 20D and I love
it.

--

Rob
"A disturbing new study finds that studies are disturbing"

Steve Wolfe 10-27-2005 10:32 PM

Re: Lense recommendation (alternative to Kit lense) for Rebel XT

> I am an armature photographer and the XT will be my first
> DSLR. I mostly shoot portraits, my kid (moves a lot), and some
> landscaping. At the time being, I want to get one general purpose
> zoom lense that I can carry around and produces sharp pictures.
> And I also can't afford getting one of those L lenses. :)

Evaluate how wide of angle you want for landscaping. You may want to
consider the 17-85 IS instead if you need the angle of view - don't forget
the 1.6x crop factor.

steve

Bill 10-27-2005 11:20 PM

eh wrote:

>I am an armature photographer and the XT will be my first
>DSLR. I mostly shoot portraits, my kid (moves a lot), and some
>landscaping. At the time being, I want to get one general purpose
>zoom lense that I can carry around and produces sharp pictures.

If you only want one lense to cover everything, then you may want to
stick with a good quality P&S camera with a big lense. Look at the
Panasonic Lumix or Canon S2 IS, or other similar models.

The main reason to buy a DSLR is the interchangeable lenses, and the
option to use what you want. There's not much sense in buying an
expensive DSLR and then slapping poor quality glass on the front. The
lense does most of the work in making the image, not the camera body, so
buy the best glass you can afford.

>And I also can't afford getting one of those L lenses. :)

To me, that depends on cost/performance ratios. A good lense that costs
$200 more but provides a LOT higher image quality is worth it to me.

See below. :)

>Lense I am looking at now.
>
>- Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM
>Costs around $250; Is this lense significantly better than the kit
>lense? It appears to have good build quality.

I have one of these from years ago, and it's somewhat better than the
kit lense, has a ring USM for fast autofocus and full time manual
focusing, plus non-rotating front element for polarizing filters. All
good stuff.

The problem is sharpness at f/3.5-4.5...shooting with the aperture wide
open, it's not any better than the kit lense. You need to stop down the
lense to f/8 to get really good sharpness out of it. That's not a
problem in bright light or outdoors during the day, but for lots of
conditions that you want, it's just too "slow" and not that practical.

You can use a good external flash to fill in, but again that's more
money and you're better off with a good lense.

You'll also find that the wide-end at 28mm is probably not wide enough
for landscapes or other wide-angle shots due to the field of view crop
factor of 1.6x on the digital SLR. It turns a 28mm into a 45mm, which is
more like a standard lense, and again, to get good detail, you need to
stop down to f/8.

And it has some barrel and pincushion distortion, which detracts from
images with straight lines like a street, buildings, bridges, etc.

>- Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Standard Zoom Lens
>Costs $480. Do you think it is a good investment to spend $230 extra
>to get IS capability? I think it would help to shoot in low light cond
>since the lowest f stop is 3.5?

Same story as above. It's a decent lense with all of the good features
of the 28-105, but I wouldn't say it's a great lense. It adds the IS
feature which is handy, but again wide-open it's not the sharpest. It's
a bit better, but not the best.

>Any other recommendations?

How about the kit lense for starters? It's not a great lense in any
sense of the word, but it's actually pretty good. In fact, it's a match
to the 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 when shooting wide open, and it has the
advantage of a much wider angle for landscapes.

But if you're willing to spend $480 on the 28-135 lense, I'd seriously
consider the Canon 17-40 f/4 L lense. Yes it costs more, but it's WELL
worth it.

On your Rebel XT it will be like a 28-64mm lense, which covers a good
usable range, and it's very sharp (even wide open), has high resolution,
virtually no barrel or pincushion distortion, has great colour, and high
contrast.

It really is that good...in fact it's better than the 16-35 f/2.8 at
twice the cost at the wide end. I know, I have one for my camera and you
couldn't pry it out of my cold dead hands!

:)

If you intend to get a second lense later on for longer range, look at
the other Canon gem, the 70-200 f/4 L - it's also an excellent lense (I
have one of these as well).

Now having said all that, if all you want is a single lense with decent
image quality and you don't want to spend too much, the 28-135 IS would
be my best recommendation.

I've been through what you're doing now, and knowing what I know now, I
would definitely spend the extra money up front and get the better
quality 17-40 f/4 L lense. It'll produce wonderful images for both
landscapes and portraits, and it's one of the best lenses you can get
from Canon.

But how much you spend is all a matter of what you want out of your
camera. :)

Steve Cutchen 10-27-2005 11:22 PM

In article <oe98f.35$yK3.182@news.oracle.com>, eh <eh@nospam.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am getting ready to buy a digital Rebel XT. After reading
> so many negative reviews of its kit lense, I am going to just get a
> XT body and purchase a separate zoom lense.
>
> I am an armature photographer

You shoot motors? :-)

> and the XT will be my first
> DSLR. I mostly shoot portraits, my kid (moves a lot), and some
> landscaping. At the time being, I want to get one general purpose
> zoom lense that I can carry around and produces sharp pictures.
> And I also can't afford getting one of those L lenses. :)
>
> Lense I am looking at now.
>
> - Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM
> Costs around $250; Is this lense significantly better than the kit
> lense? It appears to have good build quality.
>
> - Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Standard Zoom Lens
> Costs $480. Do you think it is a good investment to spend $230 extra
> to get IS capability? I think it would help to shoot in low light cond
> since the lowest f stop is 3.5?

Both of these are good lenses. I have the 28-105 and use it to shoot
volleyball. I like how it is smaller and lighter than the 28-135. Be
sure to get the 3.5-4.5 lens, not the cheaper one. I also have a
70-200 USM, so I can use that for longer reach.

Here's a review of both:

http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/28zooms/

Anabella M. 10-28-2005 01:24 AM

Re: Lense recommendation (alternative to Kit lense) for Rebel XT

eh, the 50 1.8 is very cheap, it is also very sharp! (for me anyway)

You can almost say that it is as sharp as it is cheap! :-)
and like Martha would say 'that's a good thing'.

Anabella M.

The Original Spudnik 10-28-2005 01:52 AM

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 19:20:52 -0400, Bill <bill@c.a> wrote:

> [...]

>couldn't pry it out of my cold dead hands!
>
>:)
>
>If you intend to get a second lense later on for longer range, look at
>the other Canon gem, the 70-200 f/4 L - it's also an excellent lense (I
>have one of these as well).
>
>Now having said all that, if all you want is a single lense with decent
>image quality and you don't want to spend too much, the 28-135 IS would
>be my best recommendation.
>
>I've been through what you're doing now, and knowing what I know now, I
>would definitely spend the extra money up front and get the better
>quality 17-40 f/4 L lense. It'll produce wonderful images for both
>landscapes and portraits, and it's one of the best lenses you can get
>from Canon.
>
>But how much you spend is all a matter of what you want out of your

What a great post! This answers all the questions I've been asking
before buying this camera.

Spudnik

Skip M 10-28-2005 02:27 AM

"The Original Spudnik" <spudnik@myjob.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 19:20:52 -0400, Bill <bill@c.a> wrote:
>
>>eh wrote:

>>Now having said all that, if all you want is a single lense with decent
>>image quality and you don't want to spend too much, the 28-135 IS would
>>be my best recommendation.
>>
>>I've been through what you're doing now, and knowing what I know now, I
>>would definitely spend the extra money up front and get the better
>>quality 17-40 f/4 L lense. It'll produce wonderful images for both
>>landscapes and portraits, and it's one of the best lenses you can get
>>from Canon.
>>
>>But how much you spend is all a matter of what you want out of your
>>camera. :)

> What a great post! This answers all the questions I've been asking
> before buying this camera.
>
> Spudnik

I'd second the motion for the 28-135 IS. I have had this lens for years, it
was the first AF lens I bought in '98 or so. I've used it on everything
from an A2 and 1n to a D30, 20D and now a 5D. Even now, with a 24-70L in my
bag, the 28-135 gets some use, and is a better walk around lens, lighter and
more reach. Not as sharp, but excellent, all the same. My daughter
inherited my wife's, now that she has a 24-70, also, and loves it on her
RebelXT.
The one thing I didn't like about the lens is its build quality. Very light
weight and plastic feeling. But that was when I first got it, and I was
used to the more substantial FD mount Canon lenses. It's no worse than the
majority of consumer oriented zooms. It is prone to a little zoom creep,
and that seems to get worse with age and use...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com