Velocity Reviews

-   -   What color is the White House ? (RGB codes) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t418736-what-color-is-the-white-house-rgb-codes.html)

Al Dykes 09-26-2005 07:46 PM

What color is the White House ? (RGB codes)

Can someone tell me what the White House (the one in Washington DC)
and the Capital dome is in color-corrected R, G, and B? I have some
jpgs with the White House in the background. I want to try to color
correct them and then use that to corect other shots taken in the same
light.

I assume I can take those RGB numbers and somehow crank them into
Photoshop to affect a color correction.

Thanks

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

Tom 09-26-2005 08:14 PM

Re: What color is the White House ? (RGB codes)

Sorry, I don't understand. Why not open in Photoshop and find out the RGB
values with the colour picker tool?

Bill DeWitt 09-26-2005 08:20 PM

Re: What color is the White House ? (RGB codes)

Tom mentioned in passing :

> Sorry, I don't understand. Why not open in Photoshop and find out
> the RGB values with the colour picker tool?

I am afraid he is attempting to find an intrinsic color that the dome
actually has.

The color of any object is dependent to varying extents on the color of
the light available. A change of the shape of a cloud in the sky can change
the RGB value of a real world object. Only in the world of computer
animation can you say with certainty what the RGB value of an object is.
Even those paint samplers can only tell you how much of the light -they- use
is reflected or absorbed.

I would change it until it looks right.

bmoag 09-26-2005 09:46 PM

Re: What color is the White House ? (RGB codes)

What color is a chickenhawk?

alex 09-26-2005 09:48 PM

Re: What color is the White House ? (RGB codes)

Sorry excuse the bad attempt at humour, but assuming the White House is
indeed White, then 255,255,255

Couldn't resist ;o)

MarkČ 09-27-2005 01:50 AM

bmoag wrote:
> What color is a chickenhawk?

Chicken Hawk Brown.

David J. Littleboy 09-27-2005 01:52 AM

"MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:
> bmoag wrote:
>> What color is a chickenhawk?

> Chicken Hawk Brown.

Wrong. They're all yellow through and through. ("I had better things to do")

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Sheldon 09-27-2005 01:53 AM

"alex" <alex.cruse@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> Sorry excuse the bad attempt at humour, but assuming the White House is
> indeed White, then 255,255,255
>
> Couldn't resist ;o)
>
> "Bill DeWitt" <Bill.DeWitt@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>> Tom mentioned in passing :
>>>
>>> Sorry, I don't understand. Why not open in Photoshop and find out
>>> the RGB values with the colour picker tool?

>> I am afraid he is attempting to find an intrinsic color that the dome
>> actually has.
>>
>> The color of any object is dependent to varying extents on the color
>> of
>> the light available. A change of the shape of a cloud in the sky can
>> change
>> the RGB value of a real world object. Only in the world of computer
>> animation can you say with certainty what the RGB value of an object is.
>> Even those paint samplers can only tell you how much of the light -they-
>> use
>> is reflected or absorbed.
>>
>> I would change it until it looks right.

This is the correct answer. The White House is marble, which has a lot of
variations in it. Off-white, depending on the lighting, is a good place to
start. If you make the White House truly white everything around it will be
off.

MarkČ 09-27-2005 01:57 AM

David J. Littleboy wrote:
> "MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:
>> bmoag wrote:
>>> What color is a chickenhawk?

>> Chicken Hawk Brown.

> Wrong. They're all yellow through and through. ("I had better things
> to do")
> David J. Littleboy
> Tokyo, Japan

They're only yellow until they fight with a chicken in the mud.
:)

Gene Palmiter 09-27-2005 03:04 AM

Re: What color is the White House ? (RGB codes)

The White House is stone...but not marble to my memory. Its a sort of
sandstone I think. What I do know is that it was burned during the war of
1812 and to cover the smoke damage it was painted white and so got its nick
name. Since its not the stone you are seeing but the paint the sort of stone
doesn't matter all that much.

--
Thanks,
Gene Palmiter