Velocity Reviews

-   -   Is this just dust? (New 20D) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t418313-is-this-just-dust-new-20d.html)

David Bindle 09-09-2005 01:53 PM

Is this just dust? (New 20D)

I just noticed a small dark spot in the skyline of some of my pictures.
(It's in all the pictures... just harder to see in some) To check this out
further, I photographed the clearest patch of blue sky I could find. (There
are still a few wisps of cloud visible).
The spot appears near the center... top third. It doesn't matter if I
change lenses... it's still there.
Here's a link to view two pictures... full frame and detail. The lens was
focused at infinity. I thought that if it was dust on the sensor, it would
be more in focus.

http://davidbindle.tripod.com/testpictures/

and no... its not a UFO

Thanks for any help.
David

Max From Holland 09-09-2005 02:05 PM

Re: Is this just dust? (New 20D)

"David Bindle" <david.bindle@usask.ca> schreef in bericht
>I just noticed a small dark spot in the skyline of some of my pictures.
> (It's in all the pictures... just harder to see in some) To check this out
> further, I photographed the clearest patch of blue sky I could find.
> (There
> are still a few wisps of cloud visible).
> The spot appears near the center... top third. It doesn't matter if I
> change lenses... it's still there.
> Here's a link to view two pictures... full frame and detail. The lens was
> focused at infinity. I thought that if it was dust on the sensor, it
> would
> be more in focus.
>
> http://davidbindle.tripod.com/testpictures/
>
> and no... its not a UFO
>
> Thanks for any help.
> David

Yep, that`s dust.

Jim Townsend 09-09-2005 02:05 PM

Re: Is this just dust? (New 20D)

David Bindle wrote:

> I just noticed a small dark spot in the skyline of some of my pictures.
> (It's in all the pictures... just harder to see in some) To check this out
> further, I photographed the clearest patch of blue sky I could find. (There
> are still a few wisps of cloud visible).
> The spot appears near the center... top third. It doesn't matter if I
> change lenses... it's still there.
> Here's a link to view two pictures... full frame and detail. The lens was
> focused at infinity. I thought that if it was dust on the sensor, it would
> be more in focus.
>
> http://davidbindle.tripod.com/testpictures/
>
> and no... its not a UFO

Yes it's dust on the sensor. You can't see dust on your lens.

If you put the camera in Av mode and select a high f number (eg f/22)
you'll see the dust particle becomes sharper. You might even see
more particles.

Put your camera in 'sensor clean' mode and give your sensor a
quick puff with a bulb blower.. That should fix it.

If not, you'll have to use a swab or brush to remove it.

Deep Reset 09-09-2005 04:53 PM

Slightly OT: Re: Is this just dust? (New 20D)

"David Bindle" <david.bindle@usask.ca> wrote in message
>I just noticed a small dark spot in the skyline of some of my pictures.
> (It's in all the pictures... just harder to see in some) To check this out
> further, I photographed the clearest patch of blue sky I could find.
> (There
> are still a few wisps of cloud visible).
> The spot appears near the center... top third. It doesn't matter if I
> change lenses... it's still there.
> Here's a link to view two pictures... full frame and detail. The lens was
> focused at infinity. I thought that if it was dust on the sensor, it
> would
> be more in focus.
>
> http://davidbindle.tripod.com/testpictures/
>
> and no... its not a UFO
>
> Thanks for any help.
> David

I don't think there's such a thing as "just" dust on a sensor :-(

I've just spotted some on my *stDS's and am about to try to get it off, but
simply blowing seems like it could just resettle, so I was going to try
putting the vacuum cleaner's nozzle just outside the body, then puffing the
sensor with an air duster, and hopefully the dislodged dust will get drawn
into the cleaner.

Any comments/thoughts?

Deep.

tbm 09-09-2005 05:01 PM

Re: Slightly OT: Re: Is this just dust? (New 20D)

so I was going to try
putting the vacuum cleaner's nozzle just outside the body, then puffing the
sensor with an air duster, and hopefully the dislodged dust will get drawn
>into the cleaner.

>Any comments/thoughts?

>Deep.

DO NOT GO ANYWHERE NEAR YOUR CAMERA WITH A VACUM CLEANER.STICK TO THE ARTIST'S BRUSH METHOD AND HURRICANE BLOWER.rgds to all from
tbm...

Deep Reset 09-09-2005 05:41 PM

"tbm" <ialwaysgetresults@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> so I was going to try
> putting the vacuum cleaner's nozzle just outside the body, then puffing
> the
> sensor with an air duster, and hopefully the dislodged dust will get drawn
>>into the cleaner.

>>Any comments/thoughts?

>>Deep.

> DO NOT GO ANYWHERE NEAR YOUR CAMERA WITH A VACUM CLEANER.STICK TO THE
> ARTIST'S BRUSH METHOD AND HURRICANE BLOWER.rgds to all from
> tbm...

The cleaner will be clamped outside the lens aperture, several centimetres
from the sensor, the idea being to draw displaced dust away from the area -
would you please expand on your comment?

Deep.

Keith 09-09-2005 05:54 PM

Re: Slightly OT: Re: Is this just dust? (New 20D)

I don't see what harm this will do.

In fact, sounds like a good idea as long as the vacuum cleaner nozzle is
kept a safe distance (I.E. outside the camera).

BJ in Texas 09-09-2005 07:06 PM

Keith <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
|| I don't see what harm this will do.
|| In fact, sounds like a good idea as long as the vacuum
|| cleaner nozzle is kept a safe distance (I.E. outside the
|| camera).

There may be a problem with static build up using a
vacuum cleaner. Static can harm or degrade
electronic components.

Then again it may not be an issue.

BJ
--
"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have
come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the

tbm 09-09-2005 07:34 PM

Re: Slightly OT: Re: Is this just dust? (New 20D)

The cleaner will be clamped outside the lens aperture, several centimetres
from the sensor, the idea being to draw >displaced dust away from the area -
>would you please expand on your comment?

>Deep.

may well be the case.but think of it if things go wrong!ie you blow all sorts of **** in to the camera body.as stated
before...forget about the vc! artist's brush rubbing gently on the sensor followed by vigouris blowing with a good blower
brush...without the brush attached.nead i say any more?rgds to all.....TBM.

Confused 09-10-2005 04:10 AM

Re: Is this just dust? (New 20D)

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 07:53:25 -0600
In message <dfs44m$un7$1@tribune.usask.ca>
"David Bindle" <david.bindle@usask.ca> wrote:

> http://davidbindle.tripod.com/testpictures/

Yup... that's something on the sensor filter thingy. I just had mine
cleaned by Canon Irvine and it came back with all the old spots gone,
and a new one just left and down from center. :(

Jeff