Velocity Reviews

-   -   Kodak EASYSHARE-ONE has Wi-Fi !! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t418148-kodak-easyshare-one-has-wi-fi.html)

Rick 09-02-2005 01:25 AM

Kodak EASYSHARE-ONE has Wi-Fi !!

I have to give this one to Nikon, who earlier today announced the first
Wi-Fi capable consumer digital cameras. Still, it looks like Wi-Fi is
coming into mainstream digicams this season. I have yet to see how they
actually link up to access points. It looks like they support 64- and
128-bit WEP security, but 802.1x support and WPA will be added later in
a firmware update. Anyway, on to Kodak's big news today-

Eastman Kodak Company announced today that its innovative EASYSHARE-ONE
zoom digital camera would be available for purchase this October, and
it's going to have Wi-Fi!

(the full press release is on my site if you are interested
www.camera-news.com)

wavelength 09-02-2005 02:51 AM

Re: Kodak EASYSHARE-ONE has Wi-Fi !!

What is the point?

On a D2x constantly tranferringfiles off w/o changing the setup maybe,
but on P&S cameras what's the point?

Daniel Silevitch 09-02-2005 03:21 AM

On 1 Sep 2005 19:51:05 -0700, wavelength <sbrisendine@gmail.com> wrote:
> What is the point?
>
> On a D2x constantly tranferringfiles off w/o changing the setup maybe,
> but on P&S cameras what's the point?

Lets people upload and share-on-web photos with nothing but their camera
and a coffee-shop hotspot. I can see how that could be a P&S selling
point; if nothing else, it makes a great bullet point to put on the
packaging.

-dms

Ron Hunter 09-02-2005 08:05 AM

Rick wrote:
> I have to give this one to Nikon, who earlier today announced the first
> Wi-Fi capable consumer digital cameras. Still, it looks like Wi-Fi is
> coming into mainstream digicams this season. I have yet to see how they
> actually link up to access points. It looks like they support 64- and
> 128-bit WEP security, but 802.1x support and WPA will be added later in
> a firmware update. Anyway, on to Kodak's big news today-
>
> Eastman Kodak Company announced today that its innovative EASYSHARE-ONE
> zoom digital camera would be available for purchase this October, and
> it's going to have Wi-Fi!
>
> (the full press release is on my site if you are interested
> www.camera-news.com)

That information was available early this summer, but the camera didn't
make its projected release date. Wi-Fi would be a real convenience.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

Ron Hunter 09-02-2005 08:06 AM

wavelength wrote:
> What is the point?
>
> On a D2x constantly tranferringfiles off w/o changing the setup maybe,
> but on P&S cameras what's the point?

Well, in my case, the hassle of bringing the camera to the computer, and
connecting it to the dock, or removing the SD card is completely eliminated.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

Dave R knows who 09-02-2005 08:30 PM

"Rick" <rickblythe@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1125624308.321582.4070@g43g2000cwa.googlegrou ps.com...
>I have to give this one to Nikon, who earlier today announced the first
> Wi-Fi capable consumer digital cameras. Still, it looks like Wi-Fi is
> coming into mainstream digicams this season. I have yet to see how they
> actually link up to access points. It looks like they support 64- and
> 128-bit WEP security, but 802.1x support and WPA will be added later in
> a firmware update. Anyway, on to Kodak's big news today-
>
> Eastman Kodak Company announced today that its innovative EASYSHARE-ONE
> zoom digital camera would be available for purchase this October, and
> it's going to have Wi-Fi!
>
> (the full press release is on my site if you are interested
> www.camera-news.com)

Can you now ftp and/or email directly from the camera without some special
client software on the other end?

Ron Hunter 09-03-2005 09:02 AM

Dave R knows who wrote:
> "Rick" <rickblythe@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1125624308.321582.4070@g43g2000cwa.googlegrou ps.com...
>> I have to give this one to Nikon, who earlier today announced the first
>> Wi-Fi capable consumer digital cameras. Still, it looks like Wi-Fi is
>> coming into mainstream digicams this season. I have yet to see how they
>> actually link up to access points. It looks like they support 64- and
>> 128-bit WEP security, but 802.1x support and WPA will be added later in
>> a firmware update. Anyway, on to Kodak's big news today-
>>
>> Eastman Kodak Company announced today that its innovative EASYSHARE-ONE
>> zoom digital camera would be available for purchase this October, and
>> it's going to have Wi-Fi!
>>
>> (the full press release is on my site if you are interested
>> www.camera-news.com)

> Can you now ftp and/or email directly from the camera without some special
> client software on the other end?

Email for sure. Don't know about FTP.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

Ron Baird 09-08-2005 07:59 PM

Re: Kodak EASYSHARE-ONE has Wi-Fi !!

Greetings,

I have not been around for a while due to vacations and business.

I did get a couple of hours use with the new EasyShare One camera. It
is a full WiFi camera and it can be used to transfer images up to the
net, i.e. EasyShare Gallery or other, print directly to printers that
are WiFi enabled, Email to those people you have in the cameras address
book, and more. Very impressive and a lot of fun.

Yes, I read the NY Times article too, however, other cameras only
communicate with the PC for downloading. No email, printing, etc. It is
only the beginning, there is a lot more to come, so hang on to your
seats the ride is just starting.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company