Velocity Reviews

-   -   Can't upgrade firmware on 20D from 1.1.0 to 2.0.2 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t418011-cant-upgrade-firmware-on-20d-from-1-1-0-to-2-0-2-a.html)

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F8rn?= Dahl-Stamnes 08-27-2005 04:09 PM

Can't upgrade firmware on 20D from 1.1.0 to 2.0.2

I just downloaded the latest version of the firmware for the Canon 20D. When
trying to upgrade, I got the following message:

Firmware update
-----------------------------
CF card containing firmware
is required to update.
Cannot update

[STOP]

Anyone seen this before? What the h**l do I do now?

--
Jørn Dahl-Stamnes
http://www.dahl-stamnes.net/dahls/index.php

Fred Povey 08-27-2005 04:23 PM

Re: Can't upgrade firmware on 20D from 1.1.0 to 2.0.2

Format a Compact Flash card (this will erase all the photos on it, so
be sure you've copied the ones you want to hard disk).

Remove the card and put it in a card reader attached to your computer.
Copy the update file from the computer to the Compact Flash card.

Make sure the camera is turned off and make sure its battery is fully
charged (so it won't die halfway through the update, which could
require you to take the camera to a dealer). Then put the Compact Flash
card into the camera and turn the camera on. You'll see the message
that the firmware is updating. When it says the update is complete,
format the Compact Flash card again to get rid of the update file, and
you're all set.

John A. Stovall 08-27-2005 04:46 PM

Re: Can't upgrade firmware on 20D from 1.1.0 to 2.0.2

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 12:23:45 -0400, Fred Povey
<no.spam@invalid.address> wrote:

>Format a Compact Flash card (this will erase all the photos on it, so
>be sure you've copied the ones you want to hard disk).
>
>Remove the card and put it in a card reader attached to your computer.
>Copy the update file from the computer to the Compact Flash card.
>
>Make sure the camera is turned off and make sure its battery is fully
>charged (so it won't die halfway through the update, which could
>require you to take the camera to a dealer). Then put the Compact Flash
>card into the camera and turn the camera on. You'll see the message
>that the firmware is updating. When it says the update is complete,
>format the Compact Flash card again to get rid of the update file, and
>you're all set.

Wrong. With the 20D after the camera is on, he must then turn on the
Menu and go the yellow setup menu (see pg. 31 of the 20D owner's
manual) and scroll to the firmware entry and select update and then
select yes. The camera will not update automatically. Canon
describes this procedure in detail in the firmware documentation.

************************************************** ************

"There has always been war. War is raging throughout the world
at the present moment. And there is little reason to believe
that war will cease to exist in the future. As man has become
increasingly civilized, his means of destroying his fellow man
have become ever more efficient, cruel and devastating.
Is it possible to put an end to a form of human behavior which
has existed throughout history by means of photography?
The proportions of that notion seem ridiculously out of balance.
Yet, that very idea has motivated me.

James Nachtwey
War Photographer
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

Charles Schuler 08-27-2005 07:45 PM

"Jørn Dahl-Stamnes" <newsmanDELETE@REMOVEdahl-stamnes.net> wrote in message
>I just downloaded the latest version of the firmware for the Canon 20D.
>When
> trying to upgrade, I got the following message:
>
> Firmware update
> -----------------------------
> CF card containing firmware
> is required to update.
> Cannot update
>
> [STOP]
>

> Anyone seen this before? What the h**l do I do now?

Mine went the first time but I have read that others had to try again and
that it worked for them on the second attempt. Also, be sure that you are
following the directions as provided by Canon.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F8rn?= Dahl-Stamnes 08-27-2005 08:38 PM

Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:

> I just downloaded the latest version of the firmware for the Canon 20D.
> When trying to upgrade, I got the following message:
>
> Firmware update
> -----------------------------
> CF card containing firmware
> is required to update.
> Cannot update
>
> [STOP]
>

> Anyone seen this before? What the h**l do I do now?

I found out... it was my own fault... I thought I put the new firmware on
the root of the CF card... but I did not...

When I discovered this and moved the file to the right position, it went
like a dream... not a nightmare... ;-)

Fred Povey 08-28-2005 06:06 AM

Re: Can't upgrade firmware on 20D from 1.1.0 to 2.0.2

In article <ar51h1l337fbhiovuptrnegdp92q72t18s@4ax.com>, John A.
Stovall <johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 12:23:45 -0400, Fred Povey
> <no.spam@invalid.address> wrote:
>
> >Format a Compact Flash card (this will erase all the photos on it, so
> >be sure you've copied the ones you want to hard disk).
> >
> >Remove the card and put it in a card reader attached to your computer.
> >Copy the update file from the computer to the Compact Flash card.
> >
> >Make sure the camera is turned off and make sure its battery is fully
> >charged (so it won't die halfway through the update, which could
> >require you to take the camera to a dealer). Then put the Compact Flash
> >card into the camera and turn the camera on. You'll see the message
> >that the firmware is updating. When it says the update is complete,
> >format the Compact Flash card again to get rid of the update file, and
> >you're all set.

> Wrong. With the 20D after the camera is on, he must then turn on the
> Menu and go the yellow setup menu (see pg. 31 of the 20D owner's
> manual) and scroll to the firmware entry and select update and then
> select yes. The camera will not update automatically. Canon
> describes this procedure in detail in the firmware documentation.

Sorry, I assumed it would work the same way on the 20D as on the 10D,
which updates automatically just as I described.

John A. Stovall 08-28-2005 12:30 PM

Re: Can't upgrade firmware on 20D from 1.1.0 to 2.0.2

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 02:06:54 -0400, Fred Povey
<no.spam@invalid.address> wrote:

>In article <ar51h1l337fbhiovuptrnegdp92q72t18s@4ax.com>, John A.
>Stovall <johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 12:23:45 -0400, Fred Povey
>> <no.spam@invalid.address> wrote:
>>
>> >Format a Compact Flash card (this will erase all the photos on it, so
>> >be sure you've copied the ones you want to hard disk).
>> >
>> >Remove the card and put it in a card reader attached to your computer.
>> >Copy the update file from the computer to the Compact Flash card.
>> >
>> >Make sure the camera is turned off and make sure its battery is fully
>> >charged (so it won't die halfway through the update, which could
>> >require you to take the camera to a dealer). Then put the Compact Flash
>> >card into the camera and turn the camera on. You'll see the message
>> >that the firmware is updating. When it says the update is complete,
>> >format the Compact Flash card again to get rid of the update file, and
>> >you're all set.

>> Wrong. With the 20D after the camera is on, he must then turn on the
>> Menu and go the yellow setup menu (see pg. 31 of the 20D owner's
>> manual) and scroll to the firmware entry and select update and then
>> select yes. The camera will not update automatically. Canon
>> describes this procedure in detail in the firmware documentation.

>Sorry, I assumed it would work the same way on the 20D as on the 10D,
>which updates automatically just as I described.

I didn't think you owned a 20D. Never assume when it comes to
technology, read the manual.

"I believe that all government is evil,
in that all government must necessarily make war upon liberty...

From "Mencken's Creed"
H.L. Mencken (1880 -1956)

ASAAR 08-28-2005 08:17 PM

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 12:30:01 GMT, John A. Stovall wrote:

>> Sorry, I assumed it would work the same way on the 20D
>> as on the 10D, which updates automatically just as I described.

> I didn't think you owned a 20D. Never assume when it comes to
> technology, read the manual.

Uh, I don't think the 10D manual will describe the procedure
needed to update the 20D's firmware. :)

Kinon O'Cann 08-28-2005 11:45 PM

Re: Can't upgrade firmware on 20D from 1.1.0 to 2.0.2

"Jørn Dahl-Stamnes" <newsmanDELETE@REMOVEdahl-stamnes.net> wrote in message
>I just downloaded the latest version of the firmware for the Canon 20D.
>When
> trying to upgrade, I got the following message:
>
> Firmware update
> -----------------------------
> CF card containing firmware
> is required to update.
> Cannot update
>
> [STOP]
>

> Anyone seen this before? What the h**l do I do now?

did you make sure to remove the lens?

Bart van der Wolf 08-29-2005 09:50 AM

Re: Can't upgrade firmware on 20D from 1.1.0 to 2.0.2

"Kinon O'Cann" <Yes@i'm.bowser> wrote in message
SNIP
>> Anyone seen this before? What the h**l do I do now?

> did you make sure to remove the lens?

and unzip/unstuff the file and place it in the root directory of the
CF card, it's all in the documentation.

Bart