Velocity Reviews

-   -   MTF charts for Nikkor lenses (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t417711-mtf-charts-for-nikkor-lenses.html)

Christopher Yeung 08-16-2005 03:45 AM

MTF charts for Nikkor lenses

Can anyone point me to websites that show MTF charts for Nikkor lenses
please?

frederick 08-16-2005 04:13 AM

Re: MTF charts for Nikkor lenses

Christopher Yeung wrote:
> Can anyone point me to websites that show MTF charts for Nikkor lenses
> please?

http://www.photodo.com/
Not complete, but many new and old favourites are rated from most makers.

Frank ess 08-16-2005 04:51 AM

frederick wrote:
> Christopher Yeung wrote:
>> Can anyone point me to websites that show MTF charts for Nikkor
>> lenses please?

> http://www.photodo.com/
> Not complete, but many new and old favourites are rated from most
> makers.

Which are the "new" ones? My random selection didn't come up with any.

--
Frank ess

frederick 08-16-2005 05:01 AM

Frank ess wrote:
> frederick wrote:
>
>> Christopher Yeung wrote:
>>
>>> Can anyone point me to websites that show MTF charts for Nikkor
>>> lenses please?

>> http://www.photodo.com/
>> Not complete, but many new and old favourites are rated from most
>> makers.

> Which are the "new" ones? My random selection didn't come up with any.

Anything later than an AI-s is new to me....

SimonLW 08-16-2005 01:22 PM

"frederick" <lost@sea.co.zn> wrote in message
> Frank ess wrote:
> > frederick wrote:

> >> http://www.photodo.com/
> >> Not complete, but many new and old favourites are rated from most
> >> makers.

> > Which are the "new" ones? My random selection didn't come up with any.
> >

> Anything later than an AI-s is new to me....

Last time I was on photodo, It seemed they have stopped actively testing
lenses. I've not seen much of anything new in years.
-S

Bill Hilton 08-16-2005 04:29 PM

Re: MTF charts for Nikkor lenses

> Can anyone point me to websites that show MTF charts for Nikkor
>lenses please?

Supposedly available on this Nikon Japanese site but I can't read
Japanese so can't tell you which link to click on ... maybe someone can
tell us which link to use for MTF charts?

http://www.nikon-image.com/jpn/produ...s/af/index.htm

Bill

Bill Hilton 08-16-2005 04:36 PM

Re: MTF charts for Nikkor lenses

>... I can't read Japanese so can't tell you which link to click on
>http://www.nikon-image.com/jpn/produ...s/af/index.htm

By blindly clicking I can see that on this first page the 2nd grouping
with the lens front showing has four links to different classes of
lenses, click on the bottom right link takes you to telephotos, click
on one of them (say the 500) takes you to a page like this, with the
MTF charts at the bottom of the sheet ...
http://www.nikon-image.com/jpn/produ...mmf4d_2_if.htm

Bill

Dimitris M 08-16-2005 05:11 PM

Re: MTF charts for Nikkor lenses

I have already download most of the MTF charts from this Japanese site and I
have merged in a word doc the charts for the 34 more popular lenses. The doc
is 260 kb and if you give me a binaries newsgoup that I can access, I can
upload it there.
--
Dimitris M

BC 08-16-2005 06:01 PM

Bill Hilton wrote:
"By blindly clicking I can see that on this first page the 2nd grouping

with the lens front showing has four links to different classes of
lenses, click on the bottom right link takes you to telephotos, click
on one of them (say the 500) takes you to a page like this, with the
MTF charts at the bottom of the sheet ...
http://www.nikon-image.com/jpn/produ...ocal/super/ai_...
"

Nikon seems to be just as bad as Canon in publishing MTF charts that
violate physics! For example, the 500mm chart that you mention has
most of the curves starting out at an MTF value of 1.0. This is
impossible for an f/4 lens, and it makes one wonder just where they are
getting their data from.

I've always liked the Photodo data much better since it is actual
measured data that makes sense. Photodo also provides curves both for
wide open and at f/8, which allows you to deduce extremely useful
information about color fringing and other particular aberrations. Its
too bad that Photodo is all but dead!

Brian

David J. Littleboy 08-16-2005 10:35 PM

"Bill Hilton" <bhilton665@aol.com> wrote:
>> Can anyone point me to websites that show MTF charts for Nikkor
>>lenses please?

> Supposedly available on this Nikon Japanese site but I can't read
> Japanese so can't tell you which link to click on ... maybe someone can
> tell us which link to use for MTF charts?
>
> http://www.nikon-image.com/jpn/produ...s/af/index.htm

You found it. Just click through to the lens you want to see. The MTF chart
is at the bottom of the page. (They only give the MTF wide open, something
one sees surprisingly often in Japanese tech literature.)

http://www.nikon-image.com/jpn/produ...5mmf28d_if.htm
http://www.nikon-image.com/jpn/produ...f_20mmf28d.htm
http://www.nikon-image.com/jpn/produ...c_135mmf2d.htm

OK, here's what gives at the index page. There are three groups, the top one
has three small bullets, the second one has four small bullets, the third
one has one small bullet.

The top is AF zoom lenses, the middle is AF fixed-focus lenses, and the
bottom is teleconverters. The bullets are arranged as follows.

Zoom:
-> Wide -> Standard
-> Tele
Fixed:
-> Wide -> Standard
-> Tele -> Supertele

When you click the bullet, you'll see the names of the lenses in an alphabet
you can read.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan