Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Digital Photography (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f37-digital-photography.html)
-   -   Canon 5D??? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t417683-canon-5d.html)

GTO 08-15-2005 04:06 AM

Canon 5D???
 
I am probably a few days behind on this one. But how real is the Canon 5D?
See http://news.techwhack.com/1878/canon...ally-unveiled/

A full-format CMOS chip with 13 MPixels for around US$3500, doesn't sound
bad at all.

Gregor



Mark˛ 08-15-2005 04:13 AM

Re: Canon 5D???
 

"GTO" <gregor_o@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:PwULe.634$AT7.512@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net. ..
>I am probably a few days behind on this one. But how real is the Canon 5D?
>See http://news.techwhack.com/1878/canon...ally-unveiled/
>
> A full-format CMOS chip with 13 MPixels for around US$3500, doesn't sound
> bad at all.
>
> Gregor


Search the forum, and you'll find extensive discussion of this topic within
the last several days.



GTO 08-15-2005 04:25 AM

Re: Canon 5D???
 
Found it. Thanks. - So, then we'll soon see some nice new model come later
this month. I wonder what Nikon's response will be. - A D2Xs with a larger
screen and an improved battery, perhaps? - Just kidding.

Gregor


"Mark˛" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
news:UDULe.1066$ct5.148@fed1read04...
>
> "GTO" <gregor_o@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:PwULe.634$AT7.512@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net. ..
>>I am probably a few days behind on this one. But how real is the Canon 5D?
>>See http://news.techwhack.com/1878/canon...ally-unveiled/
>>
>> A full-format CMOS chip with 13 MPixels for around US$3500, doesn't sound
>> bad at all.
>>
>> Gregor

>
> Search the forum, and you'll find extensive discussion of this topic
> within the last several days.
>




Mr. Mark 08-15-2005 04:41 AM

Re: Canon 5D???
 
> Found it. Thanks. - So, then we'll soon see some nice new model come later
> this month. I wonder what Nikon's response will be. - A D2Xs with a larger
> screen and an improved battery, perhaps? - Just kidding.


FWIW, Nikon seems to be competing on something other than megapixels. I had
the chance to shoot a friend's D70 and was quite impressed. Of course I
then went out and bought a 20D. :)

--
Mark

Photos, Ideas & Opinions
http://www.marklauter.com



Mark˛ 08-15-2005 05:58 AM

Re: Canon 5D???
 

"Mr. Mark" <e.cartman@southpark.com> wrote in message
news:X1VLe.16271$Yx1.5087@tornado.tampabay.rr.com. ..
>> Found it. Thanks. - So, then we'll soon see some nice new model come
>> later
>> this month. I wonder what Nikon's response will be. - A D2Xs with a
>> larger
>> screen and an improved battery, perhaps? - Just kidding.

>
> FWIW, Nikon seems to be competing on something other than megapixels. I
> had
> the chance to shoot a friend's D70 and was quite impressed. Of course I
> then went out and bought a 20D. :)
>
> --
> Mark


Not sure I follow your comment. It seems to imply that they've captured
some other mystical quality, and yet you passed it over for the 20D. :) ??

I don't think the 5D qualifies so much as a "pixel competition" camera as
much as it is a breakthrough in full-frame availablity. This will mark the
beginning of wide-spread appeal for true wide-angle coverage--with DSLRS
that more people can afford. Granted, it's still quite expensive, if
predictions are right, but it's a move inthe right direction. Personally, I
think Nikon has missed a significant boat by ignoring the full-frame issue.
Wide angle enthsiasts who are invested in top optics will be mighty glad to
see this from Canon. I recently mounted my Canon 16-35 2.8 L lens on my EOS
3 film body...and BOING--I had almost forgotten what TRUE wide angle
as! -On my 10D, that 16 doesn't look very wide by comparison. Come on
Nikon! Get in the game and compete! I don't like paying Canon prices when
there's no competetive alternative. :)



Neil Ellwood 08-15-2005 09:16 AM

Re: Canon 5D???
 
On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 22:58:32 -0700, Mark˛ wrote:

>
> "Mr. Mark" <e.cartman@southpark.com> wrote in message
> news:X1VLe.16271$Yx1.5087@tornado.tampabay.rr.com. ..
>>> Found it. Thanks. - So, then we'll soon see some nice new model come
>>> later
>>> this month. I wonder what Nikon's response will be. - A D2Xs with a
>>> larger
>>> screen and an improved battery, perhaps? - Just kidding.

>>
>> FWIW, Nikon seems to be competing on something other than megapixels. I
>> had
>> the chance to shoot a friend's D70 and was quite impressed. Of course I
>> then went out and bought a 20D. :)
>>
>> --
>> Mark

>
> Not sure I follow your comment. It seems to imply that they've captured
> some other mystical quality, and yet you passed it over for the 20D. :) ??
>
> I don't think the 5D qualifies so much as a "pixel competition" camera as
> much as it is a breakthrough in full-frame availablity. This will mark the
> beginning of wide-spread appeal for true wide-angle coverage--with DSLRS
> that more people can afford. Granted, it's still quite expensive, if
> predictions are right, but it's a move inthe right direction. Personally, I
> think Nikon has missed a significant boat by ignoring the full-frame issue.
> Wide angle enthsiasts who are invested in top optics will be mighty glad to
> see this from Canon. I recently mounted my Canon 16-35 2.8 L lens on my EOS
> 3 film body...and BOING--I had almost forgotten what TRUE wide angle
> as! -On my 10D, that 16 doesn't look very wide by comparison. Come on
> Nikon! Get in the game and compete! I don't like paying Canon prices when
> there's no competetive alternative. :)

Contax never ignored the full frame sensor and look what happened to them.

--
Neil
Delete delete to reply by email

Mark˛ 08-15-2005 09:34 AM

Re: Canon 5D???
 

"Neil Ellwood" <carl.elllwood2@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
news:pan.2005.08.15.09.16.30.280603@btopenworld.co m...
> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 22:58:32 -0700, Mark˛ wrote:
>
>>
>> "Mr. Mark" <e.cartman@southpark.com> wrote in message
>> news:X1VLe.16271$Yx1.5087@tornado.tampabay.rr.com. ..
>>>> Found it. Thanks. - So, then we'll soon see some nice new model come
>>>> later
>>>> this month. I wonder what Nikon's response will be. - A D2Xs with a
>>>> larger
>>>> screen and an improved battery, perhaps? - Just kidding.
>>>
>>> FWIW, Nikon seems to be competing on something other than megapixels. I
>>> had
>>> the chance to shoot a friend's D70 and was quite impressed. Of course I
>>> then went out and bought a 20D. :)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mark

>>
>> Not sure I follow your comment. It seems to imply that they've captured
>> some other mystical quality, and yet you passed it over for the 20D. :)
>> ??
>>
>> I don't think the 5D qualifies so much as a "pixel competition" camera as
>> much as it is a breakthrough in full-frame availablity. This will mark
>> the
>> beginning of wide-spread appeal for true wide-angle coverage--with DSLRS
>> that more people can afford. Granted, it's still quite expensive, if
>> predictions are right, but it's a move inthe right direction.
>> Personally, I
>> think Nikon has missed a significant boat by ignoring the full-frame
>> issue.
>> Wide angle enthsiasts who are invested in top optics will be mighty glad
>> to
>> see this from Canon. I recently mounted my Canon 16-35 2.8 L lens on my
>> EOS
>> 3 film body...and BOING--I had almost forgotten what TRUE wide angle
>> as! -On my 10D, that 16 doesn't look very wide by comparison. Come on
>> Nikon! Get in the game and compete! I don't like paying Canon prices
>> when
>> there's no competetive alternative. :)

> Contax never ignored the full frame sensor and look what happened to them.


No, they just ignored teh fact that they had nearly no market or lens-owner
base...meaning teh masses couldn't utilize their body without starting from
scratch. Canon and Nikon both had hoards of people who already owned lenses
they could use on an expensive body. Contax had a good reputation with some
in the know...but they had the worst with the masses...that being **no**
reputation. If you took a survery of camera brands people were aware of,
Contax would have been WAY down the list for all but people like you and me.

Oh... And they also forgot to make a DSLR that worked.
:)
That always helps.



David J. Littleboy 08-15-2005 09:52 AM

Re: Canon 5D???
 

"Neil Ellwood" <carl.elllwood2@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> Contax never ignored the full frame sensor and look what happened to them.


The Contax FF dSLR was a 6MP camera with an insane price tag and uninspired
performance.

Heck, even the original 1Ds was problematic, with its inadequate low-pass
filter (nasty Moiré) and poor noise performance compared to the 10D.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan




Joseph Meehan 08-15-2005 01:15 PM

Re: Canon 5D???
 
Mark˛ wrote:
> "Mr. Mark" <e.cartman@southpark.com> wrote in message
> news:X1VLe.16271$Yx1.5087@tornado.tampabay.rr.com. ..
>>> Found it. Thanks. - So, then we'll soon see some nice new model come
>>> later
>>> this month. I wonder what Nikon's response will be. - A D2Xs with a
>>> larger
>>> screen and an improved battery, perhaps? - Just kidding.

>>
>> FWIW, Nikon seems to be competing on something other than
>> megapixels. I had
>> the chance to shoot a friend's D70 and was quite impressed. Of
>> course I then went out and bought a 20D. :)
>>
>> --
>> Mark

>
> Not sure I follow your comment. It seems to imply that they've
> captured some other mystical quality, and yet you passed it over for
> the 20D. :) ??
> I don't think the 5D qualifies so much as a "pixel competition"
> camera as much as it is a breakthrough in full-frame availablity. This
> will mark the beginning of wide-spread appeal for true
> wide-angle coverage--with DSLRS that more people can afford. Granted,
> it's still quite expensive, if predictions are right, but it's a move
> inthe right direction. Personally, I think Nikon has missed a
> significant boat by ignoring the full-frame issue. Wide angle
> enthsiasts who are invested in top optics will be mighty glad to see
> this from Canon. I recently mounted my Canon 16-35 2.8 L lens on my
> EOS 3 film body...and BOING--I had almost forgotten what TRUE wide
> angle as! -On my 10D, that 16 doesn't look very wide by comparison.


It may not be what you need but the 10-22mm does a great job for me.
Frankly I doubt if I would have bought the 20D if it were not available.

> Come
> on Nikon! Get in the game and compete! I don't like paying Canon
> prices when there's no competetive alternative. :)


--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit



winhag@yahoo.com 08-15-2005 01:40 PM

Re: Canon 5D???
 
Agreed (10-22 availability). But, that means that the 20D really costs
>$2k if it forces you to buy an $800 lens (assuming you already had wide angle glass).




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.