Velocity Reviews

-   -   phone line splitter (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t417660-phone-line-splitter.html)

eddy long 08-14-2005 02:15 PM

phone line splitter

Hello all,
We have two PC's and one dedicated phone line for internet dial up access.

We do not have access to T-1 or DSL.

Can we have both computers online simultaneously using a phone line
spiltter?

Thank you.
Eddy

Joseph Meehan 08-14-2005 02:22 PM

Re: phone line splitter

eddy long wrote:
> Hello all,
> We have two PC's and one dedicated phone line for internet dial up
> access.
>
> We do not have access to T-1 or DSL.
>
> Can we have both computers online simultaneously using a phone line
> spiltter?
>
> Thank you.
> Eddy

This newsgroup is dedicated to digital photography.

I suggest you may have more luck finding an valid answer to your
question in a newsgroup relating to on-line communications or general
computer questions like annexcafe.general.user2user

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Rudy Benner 08-14-2005 02:25 PM

Re: phone line splitter

No.

Charlie Choc 08-14-2005 02:25 PM

Re: phone line splitter

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 10:15:13 -0400, "eddy long" <eddylong@boloney!_NOSPAM_.net>
wrote:

>Hello all,
>We have two PC's and one dedicated phone line for internet dial up access.
>
>We do not have access to T-1 or DSL.
>
>Can we have both computers online simultaneously using a phone line
>spiltter?

No. You could have one or the other, but not both. You could get a couple of
network cards and a hub and use Internet connection sharing to have both online
through dial up on one of them, though.
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com

denis@boisclair.freeserve.co.uk 08-14-2005 07:02 PM

Re: phone line splitter

My wife and I each have a computer and we use what is called Broadband
here in the UK, via a Wireless router and using a phone line
splitter.We can both be online simaltaneously, connected to different
websites - and if a phone call comes in we can take it without
interrupting either connection!

Denis Boisclair
Cheshire, UK

wilt 08-14-2005 07:20 PM

Re: phone line splitter

Eddy,
Modems use tones to send data across voice lines. You cannot
'split' a voice line to support two modems simultaneously. A phone
line can be 'split' into voice and DSL, if your phone company offers
that. Where I live, SBC provides that capability, and we use the phone
DSL for high speed and simultaneous voice capability, not a cable
modem.

--Wilt

pltrgyst 08-14-2005 07:43 PM

Re: phone line splitter

On 14 Aug 2005 12:02:52 -0700, denis@boisclair.freeserve.co.uk wrote:

>My wife and I each have a computer and we use what is called Broadband
>here in the UK, via a Wireless router and using a phone line
>splitter.We can both be online simaltaneously, connected to different
>websites - and if a phone call comes in we can take it without
>interrupting either connection!

So can every other xDSL user in the world, but that has nothing at all to do
with the OP's question concerning dial-up access.

-- larry

Charlie Choc 08-14-2005 07:49 PM

Re: phone line splitter

On 14 Aug 2005 12:02:52 -0700, denis@boisclair.freeserve.co.uk wrote:

>My wife and I each have a computer and we use what is called Broadband
>here in the UK, via a Wireless router and using a phone line
>splitter.We can both be online simaltaneously, connected to different
>websites - and if a phone call comes in we can take it without
>interrupting either connection!

That isn't dial-up access, though, that's what is called DSL or ADSL in the US.
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com

Jer 08-14-2005 09:51 PM

Re: phone line splitter

eddy long wrote:
> Hello all,
> We have two PC's and one dedicated phone line for internet dial up access.
>
> We do not have access to T-1 or DSL.
>
> Can we have both computers online simultaneously using a phone line
> spiltter?
>
> Thank you.
> Eddy

Aside from the odd request in a group not intended for this topic, I
wasn't going to respond. However, in the interest of providing accurate
information for those that may not be aware of all the choices, I'll say
that yes, it is possible - but not necessarily the way you may be thinking.

There are SOHO network routers that also have a built-in modem, or
better, a serial comm port for an external modem connection. This type
of equipment is great for locations with multiple PC systems each
needing to share internet access, but don't have access to broadband
service. What this router can do is automatically establish a dial-up
analog or ISDN internet connection only when a demand for it occurs,
aka. on-demand dialing. The router (like most SOHO routers) manages two
networks, one local (LAN) and another remote (WAN) - the modem
represents the WAN portion. The router is custom programmed with the
dialing instructions, and an external WAN connection is established
automatically when requested by network activity. Otherwise, the modem
is idle while the router continues to manage the LAN services between
the locally connected PC systems. The "internet sharing" function is
managed internally by the router, not the modem nor the phone line.
However, one caveat for this type of service is, with all the automagic
stuff happening inside a PC, I'm afraid the phone line would need to be
dedicated line not shared with voice service because it would never hang
up - and it's still brutally slow in a broadband world.

This type of network equipment isn't very popular, but is still
available for those who need it. Do a google for "dial-on-demand
router" and see what pops up. I seem to recall one product that even
offered WiFi on the LAN side. And as others have already intimated,
submitting your query in a more appropriate group should prove even more
helpful. Luck to you.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Matt Ion 08-15-2005 09:12 AM

Re: phone line splitter

Jer wrote:

> eddy long wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>> We have two PC's and one dedicated phone line for internet dial up
>> access.
>>
>> We do not have access to T-1 or DSL.
>>
>> Can we have both computers online simultaneously using a phone line
>> spiltter?
>>
>> Thank you.
>> Eddy

> Aside from the odd request in a group not intended for this topic, I
> wasn't going to respond. However, in the interest of providing accurate
> information for those that may not be aware of all the choices, I'll say
> that yes, it is possible - but not necessarily the way you may be thinking.
>
> There are SOHO network routers that also have a built-in modem, or
> better, a serial comm port for an external modem connection. This type
> of equipment is great for locations with multiple PC systems each
> needing to share internet access, but don't have access to broadband
> service. What this router can do is automatically establish a dial-up
> analog or ISDN internet connection only when a demand for it occurs,
> aka. on-demand dialing. The router (like most SOHO routers) manages two
> networks, one local (LAN) and another remote (WAN) - the modem
> represents the WAN portion. The router is custom programmed with the
> dialing instructions, and an external WAN connection is established
> automatically when requested by network activity. Otherwise, the modem
> is idle while the router continues to manage the LAN services between
> the locally connected PC systems. The "internet sharing" function is
> managed internally by the router, not the modem nor the phone line.
> However, one caveat for this type of service is, with all the automagic
> stuff happening inside a PC, I'm afraid the phone line would need to be
> dedicated line not shared with voice service because it would never hang
> up - and it's still brutally slow in a broadband world.
>
> This type of network equipment isn't very popular, but is still
> available for those who need it. Do a google for "dial-on-demand
> router" and see what pops up. I seem to recall one product that even
> offered WiFi on the LAN side. And as others have already intimated,
> submitting your query in a more appropriate group should prove even more
> helpful. Luck to you.

All excellent advice, but one other possible method to keep in mind is
that if you're running Windows XP, you have fairly effective and
easy-to-configure internet sharing already available - all you need to
do is connect the two computers together using some home-networking
connection.

Most common would be a network card in each machine (or onboard ethernet
on most newer motherboards) connected together with a crossover network
cable, or via a hub/switch with standard cables.

Some machines also support networking via USB (A-to-A USB cables are
available for this purpose). If you have an old LapLink cable or
crossover serial cable, XP also supports PC-to-PC networking that way.

Once the two machines can communicate with each other, plug one
machine's modem into the phone line, set up dialing on that system, and
set up the Internet Sharing feature.

It's not a great solution - if the "shared" computer crashes or needs to
reboot, the other computer loses its connection as well. A separate
router with dialup or serial port is preferable, and makes it easy to
add more machines later.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0532-6, 08/13/2005
Tested on: 8/15/2005 2:11:23 AM