Velocity Reviews

-   -   Best spots to shoot parade of sail on San Diego Bay?? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t417595-best-spots-to-shoot-parade-of-sail-on-san-diego-bay.html)

Ronald Shu 08-11-2005 08:55 PM

Best spots to shoot parade of sail on San Diego Bay??

Hi, all:
Aug. 17-20 I am going down to San Diego to shoot TALL SHIPS Challenge
Race 2005. There is a grand parade of sail on San Diego Bay on Aug.17.
I was told there are four best spots to view the grand parade of sail:
1. Shelter island
2. Harbor island
3. North island (where is it?)
4. Cabrillo National monument (where is it? shoot from above?)
I am a first-time shooter of tall ships, especially parade of sail. Any
advice/ideas/tips? I will much appreciated.

Ronald

wavelength 08-11-2005 10:38 PM

Re: Best spots to shoot parade of sail on San Diego Bay??

I believe north Island is the "Big One" in the picture.

http://www.sdmaritime.com/contentpage.asp?ContentID=183

Cabrillo is a national park on the point out there. Big white statue?

http://www.nps.gov/cabr/pphtml/maps.html

Seriously dude, found this in 10 minutes on Google.com. Not that I mind
helping really (otherwise why post this right?), but does anyone
research before they ask anymore?

Also, go here for more info on the festival, No reason you can't take
pics in thprot now is there?

http://www.sdmaritime.com/contentpage.asp?ContentID=172

Roy 08-11-2005 11:13 PM

"wavelength" <sbrisendine@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1123799920.665870.95950@g47g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
>I believe north Island is the "Big One" in the picture.
>
> http://www.sdmaritime.com/contentpage.asp?ContentID=183
>
> Cabrillo is a national park on the point out there. Big white statue?
>
> http://www.nps.gov/cabr/pphtml/maps.html
>
> Seriously dude, found this in 10 minutes on Google.com. Not that I mind
> helping really (otherwise why post this right?), but does anyone
> research before they ask anymore?
>
> Also, go here for more info on the festival, No reason you can't take
> pics in thprot now is there?
>
> http://www.sdmaritime.com/contentpage.asp?ContentID=172

Hire or borrow a fairly fast Motorboat. It needs to be large enough, so
that you do not get thrown around when the wash from the Press Boats hits
yours.

Roy G

William Graham 08-12-2005 12:07 AM

Re: Best spots to shoot parade of sail on San Diego Bay??

"wavelength" <sbrisendine@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1123799920.665870.95950@g47g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
>I believe north Island is the "Big One" in the picture.
>
> http://www.sdmaritime.com/contentpage.asp?ContentID=183

Boy, that sure brings back memories for me....I was in the Navy, based in
San Diego, and when we came back from oversea cruses, that was the radar
picture we always looked for.......

Ronald Shu 08-12-2005 12:08 AM

Re: Best spots to shoot parade of sail on San Diego Bay??

Sir:
Thank you for your help. I have read all you mentioned either with
web surfing or web searching. As a matter of fact, I wanted someone to
advise me the followings:
(1) Which spot of the four is the BEST of the BEST.
(2) Where exactly on the best spot is the 'ideal location' to shoot the
parade of sail (North Island is a big area, right?)
(3) Tips for shooting tall ships, such as film, lenses, filters,
exposure, shooting position (shoot from above or at eye level), how to
handle camera shacking, ocean fog and etc.
Anyway, thank you again. Any advice, tips and suggestions are welcome.

Ronald

Frank ess 08-12-2005 12:58 AM

Ronald Shu wrote:
> Sir:
> Thank you for your help. I have read all you mentioned either
> with
> web surfing or web searching. As a matter of fact, I wanted someone
> advise me the followings:
> (1) Which spot of the four is the BEST of the BEST.
> (2) Where exactly on the best spot is the 'ideal location' to shoot
> the parade of sail (North Island is a big area, right?)
> (3) Tips for shooting tall ships, such as film, lenses, filters,
> exposure, shooting position (shoot from above or at eye level), how
> handle camera shacking, ocean fog and etc.
> Anyway, thank you again. Any advice, tips and suggestions are
> welcome.
> Ronald
>

> wavelength wrote:
>
>> I believe north Island is the "Big One" in the picture.
>>
>> http://www.sdmaritime.com/contentpage.asp?ContentID=183
>>
>> Cabrillo is a national park on the point out there. Big white
>> statue?
>>
>> http://www.nps.gov/cabr/pphtml/maps.html
>>
>> Seriously dude, found this in 10 minutes on Google.com. Not that I
>> mind helping really (otherwise why post this right?), but does
>> anyone
>> research before they ask anymore?
>>
>> Also, go here for more info on the festival, No reason you can't
>> take
>> pics in thprot now is there?
>>
>> http://www.sdmaritime.com/contentpage.asp?ContentID=172

"North Island" is pretty well closed off as a US Navy installation,
and may not offer much in the way of hospitality for the casual
shooter. Some of the island (east and northeast) is Coronado, and may
be accessible.

This time of year the sun is relatively low and to the south. Even at
high noon a lot of what you can see from the more northerly vantages
will be considerably backlighted.

The Cabrillo Monument is actually pretty high and pretty far away, so
unless you have the equipment, it might be a disappointment, single
ship-wise. Spectacular for views of the city. It's also a National
Park preserve, so you will pay admission.

None of the viewing sites are particularly easy to reach, and all have
their parking and access problems, even on an ordinary weekday. If you
can spend a day reconnoitering (how long has it been since you heard
_that_ word?) in advance, you'll have an idea which place you prefer,
and whether or not it will be worthwhile trying to get some shots from
more than one during the event.

Try out your polarizer in advance, too. Some angles it's worth it,
some not.

For my part, I'll try Coronado Island, as far north and west as I can
reach harborside in the morning, or Seaport Village south and east.
Shelter Island as far south and east as I can reach in the afternoon,
with an option to sit in traffic on the way to Cabrillo Monument.

Best bet: get one of the helicopter tours.

--
Frank ess

EF in FLA 08-12-2005 01:04 AM

Re: Best spots to shoot parade of sail on San Diego Bay??

> (1) Which spot of the four is the BEST of the BEST.
> (2) Where exactly on the best spot is the 'ideal location' to shoot the
> parade of sail

Geez, I'd imagine you'll see big boats sailing by no matter where you stand.
Apparently you are seeking the "super lucky happy golden answer" from
someone here, but maybe just maybe you'll have to use some trial and error.

Keep the sun at your back and you'll do fine.

ef

Adam R 08-12-2005 01:38 AM

Re: Best spots to shoot parade of sail on San Diego Bay??

When you get to San Diego go to the Broadway Pier. A just to the north
you will see the Coronado-San Diego Ferry. It is a pedestrian ferry.
Take the ferry to Coronado and when you get off you will be in a very
good spot to see the ships sail by. This area is quite large and you
should have no trouble getting some good shots. GET THERE EARLY!
Parking will be your biggest problem but it is easier in San Diego
than in Coronado.
<<<Adam R>>>

Tony Graber 08-12-2005 04:01 AM

Re: Best spots to shoot parade of sail on San Diego Bay??

You're right, EF, they are big ships and you could see them sailing by
at most locations. That does not correlate into getting a good shot at
the ships, though. Unless one has a long zoom lense, getting as close
as possible to the sailing route is a very valid question. Using trial
and error and keeping the sun at your back does not answer the questions
posed. If you have ever seen a parade of tall ships, you would know that.

Patrick L. 08-12-2005 04:37 PM

"Ronald Shu" <isssr@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi, all:
> Aug. 17-20 I am going down to San Diego to shoot TALL SHIPS Challenge Race
> 2005. There is a grand parade of sail on San Diego Bay on Aug.17.
> I was told there are four best spots to view the grand parade of sail: 1.
> Shelter island
> 2. Harbor island
> 3. North island (where is it?)
> 4. Cabrillo National monument (where is it? shoot from above?)
> I am a first-time shooter of tall ships, especially parade of sail. Any
> advice/ideas/tips? I will much appreciated.
>
> Ronald

Harbor Island at the park across from the Hilton, or anywhere along Harbor
Island, actually.

Get their early or you won't find parking.

Patrick