Velocity Reviews

-   -   Pentax ist DL or Canon 350D (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t417560-pentax-ist-dl-or-canon-350d.html)

Peter 08-10-2005 09:49 PM

Pentax ist DL or Canon 350D

The Pentax is 6.1mp and 1/3 cheaper than the 8 mp Canon is it worth paying
the extra or would the Pentax suffice?
Thanks...

MitchAlsup@aol.com 08-10-2005 10:25 PM

Re: Pentax ist DL or Canon 350D

You should consider that whichever camera you choose; the camera body
is a replacible component, and that, in effect, you are buying into a
lineup of lenses.

It is my belief that right now, Canon has the better short term lens
line up and every possibility of having a better long term lens lineup.
These lenses end up costing more than the camera if you go anywhere
near the prosumer or professional lenses and collect a full range of
focal lengths.

So, look over and become familiar with the entire lineup of lenses from
all manufactures that you would consider buying a dSLR from before
making the choice of the camera itslef.

Chris Brooks 08-11-2005 12:15 AM

Re: Pentax ist DL or Canon 350D

Hi,

As a recent purchaser of the Canon DR XT I would like to second this. After
comparing products for a solid couple of weeks it became apparent that
Nikon/Canon are safer just as far as getting lenses (and testing lenses in
my local shops!). Plus they both have lenses that work on their higher end
DSLRs (so the body is really replaceable), and their new lenses are making a
commitment to the form factor they already have (e.g. the EF-S lenses).

Chris

news:1123712716.869261.140110@o13g2000cwo.googlegr oups.com...

JD 08-11-2005 12:44 AM

Re: Pentax ist DL or Canon 350D

So does Pentax. And you can use ALL Pentax former lenses from years back on
ALL Pentax models (not possible on other brands as far as I know). See:

http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/

and also:

http://themotec.com/photo/plensesexplained.htm
http://www.phred.org/pentax/lensgal/
http://www.photodo.com/prod/lens/pentax.shtml#Pentax
http://www.photodo.com/nav/prodindex.html

Jean.

Paul Mitchum 08-11-2005 12:58 AM

JD <no.spam.jdon@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> So does Pentax. And you can use ALL Pentax former lenses from years back on
> ALL Pentax models (not possible on other brands as far as I know). See:
>
> http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/
>
> and also:
>
> http://themotec.com/photo/plensesexplained.htm
> http://www.phred.org/pentax/lensgal/
> http://www.photodo.com/prod/lens/pentax.shtml#Pentax
> http://www.photodo.com/nav/prodindex.html

Also:

<http://stans-photography.info/>

Pete D 08-11-2005 05:53 AM

"Paul Mitchum" <usenet@mile23.c0m> wrote in message
> JD <no.spam.jdon@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>
>> So does Pentax. And you can use ALL Pentax former lenses from years back
>> on
>> ALL Pentax models (not possible on other brands as far as I know). See:
>>
>> http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/
>>
>> and also:
>>
>> http://themotec.com/photo/plensesexplained.htm
>> http://www.phred.org/pentax/lensgal/
>> http://www.photodo.com/prod/lens/pentax.shtml#Pentax
>> http://www.photodo.com/nav/prodindex.html

> Also:
>
> <http://stans-photography.info/>

And go for the Ds not the Dl.

Charlie Self 08-11-2005 08:00 AM

MitchAlsup@aol.com wrote:
> You should consider that whichever camera you choose; the camera body
> is a replacible component, and that, in effect, you are buying into a
> lineup of lenses.
>
> It is my belief that right now, Canon has the better short term lens
> line up and every possibility of having a better long term lens lineup.
> These lenses end up costing more than the camera if you go anywhere
> near the prosumer or professional lenses and collect a full range of
> focal lengths.
>
> So, look over and become familiar with the entire lineup of lenses from
> all manufactures that you would consider buying a dSLR from before
> making the choice of the camera itslef.

True, but...Pentax takes every early Pentax mount, except screw thread
types (and there are adapters for those). I've just ordered a low cost
16mm Zenitar fisheye for use on my *istD. It will work manually, but it
will work. Not a real problem for me, as before I started working
digital, I used only manual cameras, and, on the D, there's not much to
re-set to get it right.

Of course, the same lens is available in Nikon and Canon manual mounts,
if those mounts will work on the current crop of digital cameras.

It's also a good idea to remember that Pentax is sort of the ignored
stepchild when it comes to mounts on new lenses from Tamron, Sigma and
others. Tamron's new 11-18mm, which I want pretty badly, may not be out
in a Pentax mount for months after the Canon and Nikon mounts hit the
market.

Dave R knows who 08-11-2005 03:36 PM

"Charlie Self" <charliediy@aol.com> wrote in message
news:1123747250.284460.106820@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...

> MitchAlsup@aol.com wrote:
>> You should consider that whichever camera you choose; the camera body
>> is a replacible component, and that, in effect, you are buying into a
>> lineup of lenses.
>>
>> It is my belief that right now, Canon has the better short term lens
>> line up and every possibility of having a better long term lens lineup.
>> These lenses end up costing more than the camera if you go anywhere
>> near the prosumer or professional lenses and collect a full range of
>> focal lengths.
>>
>> So, look over and become familiar with the entire lineup of lenses from
>> all manufactures that you would consider buying a dSLR from before
>> making the choice of the camera itslef.

> True, but...Pentax takes every early Pentax mount, except screw thread
> types (and there are adapters for those). I've just ordered a low cost
> 16mm Zenitar fisheye for use on my *istD. It will work manually, but it
> will work. Not a real problem for me, as before I started working
> digital, I used only manual cameras, and, on the D, there's not much to
> re-set to get it right.
>
> Of course, the same lens is available in Nikon and Canon manual mounts,
> if those mounts will work on the current crop of digital cameras.
>
> It's also a good idea to remember that Pentax is sort of the ignored
> stepchild when it comes to mounts on new lenses from Tamron, Sigma and
> others. Tamron's new 11-18mm, which I want pretty badly, may not be out
> in a Pentax mount for months after the Canon and Nikon mounts hit the
> market.

Like the 50-500 from Sigma? Why is the HSM version of this lens unavailable
in Pentax mount? Something to do with the AF motor design being different
than on the Canon and Nikons, right?

dj_nme@hotmail.com 08-12-2005 04:20 PM

Dave R knows who wrote:
> "Charlie Self" <charliediy@aol.com> wrote in message
> news:1123747250.284460.106820@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
> >
> > MitchAlsup@aol.com wrote:

<snip>
> > It's also a good idea to remember that Pentax is sort of the ignored
> > stepchild when it comes to mounts on new lenses from Tamron, Sigma and
> > others. Tamron's new 11-18mm, which I want pretty badly, may not be out
> > in a Pentax mount for months after the Canon and Nikon mounts hit the
> > market.

> Like the 50-500 from Sigma? Why is the HSM version of this lens unavailable
> in Pentax mount? Something to do with the AF motor design being different
> than on the Canon and Nikons, right?

I had a close look at my *ist-Ds and it looks like the lens focus motor
is in the camera body.
There is a sprocket on the K-mount flange that engages with the lens
when the focus mode switcht is set to AF and retracts when set to MF.
I think that Nikon and Canon both have the focus motor in the lens and
so with each new lens you get a new motor, but with Pentax K AF lenses
the motor (aparently) can't be changed without major surgery on the
camera body.

Nick Fotis 08-12-2005 07:09 PM

dj_nme@hotmail.com wrote:

> I think that Nikon and Canon both have the focus motor in the lens and
> so with each new lens you get a new motor, but with Pentax K AF lenses
> the motor (aparently) can't be changed without major surgery on the
> camera body.

From what I remember, only Canon has a considerable percentage of their
lens range with USM (Ultrasonic) motors, which are inside the lens.
Nearly all the other camera makers (Nikon, Pentax, Minolta) with
autofocus used a motor inside the camera body to move the lens ring.
Now, the Nikon AF-S lenses use ultrasonic motors inside the lens, but
this is supported in the bigger cameras.

Example: look in http://www.jjmehta.com/products/nikonf80.html for the
Nikon F80 description. At the specifications it mentions "Integral-motor
autofocus 35mm single-lens reflex with electronically controlled
focal-plane shutter and built-in Speedlight"
Notice the "Integral-motor" part?

A more elaborate explanation is at
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1157640,00.asp - as you can
read by this, only Canon (and Sigma, whose mount is derived from the EF
mount) have no mechanical connection between the camera body and the
lens.

Regards from hot Athens,
N.Fotis