Velocity Reviews

-   -   Fuji S9000 announcement - interesting specifications.. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t417271-fuji-s9000-announcement-interesting-specifications.html)

chrlz@go.com 07-29-2005 02:15 AM

Fuji S9000 announcement - interesting specifications..

Here:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0507/05...uji_s9000z.asp

"FinePix S9000 Zoom. It features a 10.7x optical zoom (28-300mm,
f2.8-4.9) (with no image stabilization), ISO from 80 to 1600,
twist-barrel zoom control, a tiltable 1.8-inch LCD, plus a 640 x 480
movie mode.... Other features include a real time histogram, xD-Picture
Card, CompactFlash and Microdrive compatibility, hotshoe and RAW
format."

Hmm. Wonder what the noise levels are like - the fact they are
offering from 80-1600 is a good sign.. (It's a 1/1.6" sensor in case
you are wondering.)

But 28-300 is pushing the lens optics an awfully long way, and no IS???

No pricing yet.

l e o 07-29-2005 03:10 AM

Re: Fuji S9000 announcement - interesting specifications..

chrlz@go.com wrote:
> Here:
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0507/05...uji_s9000z.asp
>
> "FinePix S9000 Zoom. It features a 10.7x optical zoom (28-300mm,
> f2.8-4.9) (with no image stabilization), ISO from 80 to 1600,
> twist-barrel zoom control, a tiltable 1.8-inch LCD, plus a 640 x 480
> movie mode.... Other features include a real time histogram, xD-Picture
> Card, CompactFlash and Microdrive compatibility, hotshoe and RAW
> format."
>
> Hmm. Wonder what the noise levels are like - the fact they are
> offering from 80-1600 is a good sign.. (It's a 1/1.6" sensor in case
> you are wondering.)
>
> But 28-300 is pushing the lens optics an awfully long way, and no IS???
>
> No pricing yet.

Great specification but I have no high hope. The sensor size is not much
bigger than F10 which is 5MP so it's packing way too many pixels to make
good low light photography doubtful. F10 is good as a point of view as a
P&S. It doesn't compare to dSLR but this S9000 might be worse than F10.
There is no IS for such a long lens and small maximum (f/4.9) aperture
at long end isn't that exciting either.

ASAAR 07-29-2005 03:28 AM

On 28 Jul 2005 19:15:01 -0700, chrlz@go.com wrote:

> Hmm. Wonder what the noise levels are like - the fact they are
> offering from 80-1600 is a good sign.. (It's a 1/1.6" sensor in case
> you are wondering.)

Sounds like an S7000 borrowing from the S5100's 37-370mm lens and
the F10's highly sensitive sensor.

> But 28-300 is pushing the lens optics an awfully long way, and no IS???

If the more sensitive sensor allows 2 to 3 stops faster shutter
speeds, you get the benefit that IS provides for all pictures,
whether using a tripod or not. IS on the other hand doesn't always
work as well as it should and helps drain the battery. If I could
choose only one, I'd rather have the more sensitive sensor than IS,
since it's also better for many low light pictures. If IS works
well it can effectively compete with the F10 for flashless
photography, but at the expense of slower shutter speeds. This
isn't ideal, as IS doesn't reduce blur caused by subject motion.

Bill Tuthill 08-01-2005 09:11 PM

Re: Fuji S9000 announcement - interesting specifications..

> chrlz@go.com wrote:
>>
>> But 28-300 is pushing the lens optics an awfully long way, and no IS???

If you think of it as an f/6-2=66.7 lens, maybe it won't seem as pushed.

l e o <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:

> Great specification but I have no high hope. The sensor size is not much
> bigger than F10 which is 5MP so it's packing way too many pixels to make
> good low light photography doubtful. F10 is good as a point of view as a
> P&S. It doesn't compare to dSLR but this S9000 might be worse than F10.
> There is no IS for such a long lens and small maximum (f/4.9) aperture
> at long end isn't that exciting either.

You can always shoot a 9 Mp camera at lower resolution. This one has
3696x2464 for those who enjoy 3:2 (35mm aspect ratio) photography.
The S9000 also offers 2592x1944, which when downsampled 50% produces
1296x972 images that almost fit a 1280x1024 monitor.

Personally I hate EVF so would probably buy a DSLR instead of the S9000
but probably the S9000 lens is better than anything available for DSLR
in a similar 10x zoom range.

Bill Tuthill 08-01-2005 10:15 PM

Re: Fuji S9000 announcement - interesting specifications..

>> chrlz@go.com wrote:
>>> But 28-300 is pushing the lens optics an awfully long way, and no IS???

> If you think of it as an f/6-2=66.7 lens, maybe it won't seem as pushed.

Make that f/6.2-66.7

Bruce Graham 08-06-2005 11:58 AM

Re: Fuji S9000 announcement - interesting specifications..

In article <ap7je159lden8dndho5arq24ia1hkmqi7o@4ax.com>, caught@22.com
says...
> On 28 Jul 2005 19:15:01 -0700, chrlz@go.com wrote:
>
> > Hmm. Wonder what the noise levels are like - the fact they are
> > offering from 80-1600 is a good sign.. (It's a 1/1.6" sensor in case
> > you are wondering.)

> Sounds like an S7000 borrowing from the S5100's 37-370mm lens and
> the F10's highly sensitive sensor.
>

> > But 28-300 is pushing the lens optics an awfully long way, and no IS???

> If the more sensitive sensor allows 2 to 3 stops faster shutter
> speeds, you get the benefit that IS provides for all pictures,
> whether using a tripod or not. IS on the other hand doesn't always
> work as well as it should and helps drain the battery. If I could
> choose only one, I'd rather have the more sensitive sensor than IS,
> since it's also better for many low light pictures. If IS works
> well it can effectively compete with the F10 for flashless
> photography, but at the expense of slower shutter speeds. This
> isn't ideal, as IS doesn't reduce blur caused by subject motion.

your argument would be better if the Fuji lens was constant aperture.
you need the IS most at the long end and the constant f2.8 aperture of
competitors like the Pana FZ20 helps then.

ASAAR 08-06-2005 01:26 PM

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 21:58:26 +1000, Bruce Graham wrote:

> your argument would be better if the Fuji lens was constant aperture.
> you need the IS most at the long end and the constant f2.8 aperture of
> competitors like the Pana FZ20 helps then.

The validity of the argument isn't affected by whether the lens
has a constant aperture or not. If there was an FZ22 that used an
f/8 constant aperture zoom lens it wouldn't be better for low light
photography than the S9000. The S9000's lens is what it is. At the
long end it needs help to reduce movement, and whether it gets it
from mechanically moving a piece of glass (or the sensor) or using a
more sensitive sensor is irrelevant, assuming that they both provide
the same amount of help. But assuming the same amount of "camera
movement" compensation, the S9000's method allows the use of a
faster shutter speed, which also helps stop subject movement. The
FZ20's use of a constant aperture lens gains some of this benefit at
the long end of its focal length, but its lens is a completely
independent factor. It provides more light in certain cases, but
the price for this is a larger, heavier lens at all of its focal
lengths. It's not that my argument would be better if the Fuji had
a similar lens. It's that the Fuji would be even better for low
light photography (at longer focal lengths) if it had a similar
constant aperture lens. But then it, too would be larger and
heavier.