Velocity Reviews

-   -   Goddammit I detest this portrait! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t416443-goddammit-i-detest-this-portrait.html)

casioculture@gmail.com 06-26-2005 02:51 AM

Goddammit I detest this portrait!

For all I care Satan spat on it

http://tinypic.com/6elloz.jpg

Hank L. 06-26-2005 03:51 AM

Re: Goddammit I detest this portrait!

That is really weird in that I can't seem to focus my eyes on the face.
Of course maybe it's the 3 extra dose Margarita's I drank, but still.....

Hank L.

MarkČ 06-26-2005 04:15 AM

"Hank L." <jujuju@hohoho.com> wrote in message
> That is really weird in that I can't seem to focus my eyes on the face.
> Of course maybe it's the 3 extra dose Margarita's I drank, but still.....
>
> Hank L.

I had a similar effect.
I think it's because our brains are trained to realign our eyes when it
thinks we're seeing a double image (which would normally mean our eyes are
crossing slightly, and need to turn a bit).

Andrew MacPherson 06-26-2005 07:36 AM

mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net (MarkČ) wrote:

> I think it's because our brains are trained

Our brains are supposed to be hard-wired with a lot of facial recognition
stuff. I suspect that photo is throwing a *huge* spanner in the neural
works.

Very uncomfortable viewing indeed.

Andrew McP

Scott W 06-26-2005 08:22 AM

Hank L. wrote:
> That is really weird in that I can't seem to focus my eyes on the face.
> Of course maybe it's the 3 extra dose Margarita's I drank, but still.....
>
> Hank L.

Me, I am going to keep drinking until the face will come in to focus.
It is a very disturbing thing to look at.

Scott

Rick 06-26-2005 08:27 AM

"Scott W" <biphoto@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1119774145.291912.35550@g47g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...

> Hank L. wrote:
> > That is really weird in that I can't seem to focus my eyes on the face.
> > Of course maybe it's the 3 extra dose Margarita's I drank, but still.....
> >
> > Hank L.

> Me, I am going to keep drinking until the face will come in to focus.
> It is a very disturbing thing to look at.

Just squint hard.

Dirty Harry 06-26-2005 09:12 AM

"Rick" <nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:zFtve.9421$NX4.4200@newsread1.news.pas.earthl ink.net...
> "Scott W" <biphoto@hotmail.com> wrote in message

news:1119774145.291912.35550@g47g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...

> > Hank L. wrote:
> > > That is really weird in that I can't seem to focus my eyes on the

face.
> > > Of course maybe it's the 3 extra dose Margarita's I drank, but

still.....

> > > Hank L.

> > Me, I am going to keep drinking until the face will come in to focus.
> > It is a very disturbing thing to look at.

> Just squint hard.

After you are drunk all you have to do is tilt your head 90 degrees to the
cross eye effect lines everything up...

ian lincoln 06-26-2005 03:32 PM

<casioculture@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1119754296.807525.5620@o13g2000cwo.googlegrou ps.com...

> For all I care Satan spat on it
>
> http://tinypic.com/6elloz.jpg

A full length portrait might be interesting ;P

Alan Browne 06-26-2005 03:38 PM

Re: Goddammit I detest this portrait!

casioculture@gmail.com wrote:

> For all I care Satan spat on it
>
> http://tinypic.com/6elloz.jpg

Cool. Drives the eyes nuts. I guess the wiring in our brains is very
responsive to face patterns and expects things to be in the right spot.
In turn the eyes are driven to other points of the face.

Cheers,
Alan

--
A beaver and a rabbit are sitting in the woods near Hoover Dam.
"Did you build that one?" the rabbit asked.

Bob Williams 06-26-2005 07:31 PM

Re: Goddammit I detest this portrait!

casioculture@gmail.com wrote:

> For all I care Satan spat on it
>
> http://tinypic.com/6elloz.jpg

Fascinating Effect!!
A kind of optical illusion
Your eyes say one thing.....Your brain says another.
Each tries to override the other causing a kind of neural oscillation.
Turning your head 90 degrees does seem to relieve the conflict somewhat.
Thanks for posting this very interesting image.
Bob Williams