Velocity Reviews

-   -   Should I erase my memory card after every download? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t415602-should-i-erase-my-memory-card-after-every-download.html)

Bill 05-29-2005 02:30 AM

Should I erase my memory card after every download?

I heard that a memory card has the limit of certain number of writes. If I
earse the memory card after every download, I will be writing to the first
segments of the card every time. Hence, shorten the life of the card.

Have you heard of something like this?

Rudy Benner 05-29-2005 03:11 AM

Re: Should I erase my memory card after every download?

"Bill" <bill@nospamland.com> wrote in message
>I heard that a memory card has the limit of certain number of writes. If I
>earse the memory card after every download, I will be writing to the first
>segments of the card every time. Hence, shorten the life of the card.
>
> Have you heard of something like this?

Where did you hear this?

Sheldon 05-29-2005 03:45 AM

Re: Should I erase my memory card after every download?

"Bill" <bill@nospamland.com> wrote in message
>I heard that a memory card has the limit of certain number of writes. If I
>earse the memory card after every download, I will be writing to the first
>segments of the card every time. Hence, shorten the life of the card.
>
> Have you heard of something like this?

Not me. Since these cards are not the same as a floppy or hard drive, where
you are storing on magnetic media with heads and wear, one would think the
read/write cycle should be theoretically infinite. No moving parts. I have
yet to hear of a memory card wearing out. Anybody else?

Tony Hwang 05-29-2005 03:46 AM

Bill wrote:
> I heard that a memory card has the limit of certain number of writes. If I
> earse the memory card after every download, I will be writing to the first
> segments of the card every time. Hence, shorten the life of the card.
>
> Have you heard of something like this?

Hi,
No. But every time you download you wear the card out little by
little. Electrons get tired you know.
Tony

Pete D 05-29-2005 03:48 AM

Re: Should I erase my memory card after every download?

Only damaging the card will shorten it's life.

ASAAR 05-29-2005 04:10 AM

On Sat, 28 May 2005 21:45:44 -0600, Sheldon wrote:

> Not me. Since these cards are not the same as a floppy or hard drive, where
> you are storing on magnetic media with heads and wear, one would think the
> read/write cycle should be theoretically infinite. No moving parts. I have
> yet to hear of a memory card wearing out. Anybody else?

Yes, Flash RAM has a limited number of writes. This is even
mentioned in my camera's manual. But the number is sufficiently
high that it's unlikely to be noticed by the vast majority of people
using the same card for many, many years. The wearing out of Flash
RAM mostly effected people that used it as a portable drive in small
handheld computers and later in PDAs. The computers had the ability
to rewrite the same sector far more frequently than any still
camera. Semiconducter manufacturers in response developed far
longer lived Flash RAM. The only way I'd see cards wearing out
before their time is if they're used extensively to record videos.

If any cards used in cameras ever do "wear out", they're likely to
be rare events (who would still be using them?) so many years from
now that they'd be equivalent to today's 4MB cards. In other words,
little used curiosities. I remember not too long ago when my 80MB
CF card was considered to be huge. :)

stratus46@yahoo.com 05-29-2005 04:17 AM

Rudy Benner wrote:
> "Bill" <bill@nospamland.com> wrote in message
> >I heard that a memory card has the limit of certain number of writes. If I
> >earse the memory card after every download, I will be writing to the first
> >segments of the card every time. Hence, shorten the life of the card.
> >
> > Have you heard of something like this?
> >

> Where did you hear this?

Flash memory does indeed have a finite life. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory

These values are consistent with data from chip makers. Even erasing 3
times a day, every day would take 10 years to hit the low end of the
life expectancy of 10,000 cycles. You will certainly be using SOMETHING
else in 10 years. However, I would be more concerned about wearing out
the pins/contacts of the memory from inserting/removing in the camera
and card reader. I would expect the contacts on a CF card to take
10,000 insertions but I had a child try to insert a CF and bend a pin.
Of course, your mileage will vary. Bottom line, don't worry about it.
Glenn Gundlach

Jim Townsend 05-29-2005 04:19 AM

Bill wrote:

> I heard that a memory card has the limit of certain number of writes. If I
> earse the memory card after every download, I will be writing to the first
> segments of the card every time. Hence, shorten the life of the card.
>
> Have you heard of something like this?

If you Google for 'flash lifetime' and flash write cycles', you'll
find info from some credible sites that state flash memory is
good from around 300,000 writes up to a million..

Your card will wear out eventually, but it will be many years
until it happens.

Mr. Mark 05-29-2005 04:22 AM

Re: Should I erase my memory card after every download?

> I heard that a memory card has the limit of certain number of writes. If I
> earse the memory card after every download, I will be writing to the first
> segments of the card every time. Hence, shorten the life of the card.

If you don't erase the card, how will you get more files on it? <g>

--
Mark

Photos, Ideas & Opinions
http://www.marklauter.com

Mr. Mark 05-29-2005 04:23 AM

Re: Should I erase my memory card after every download?

> Not me. Since these cards are not the same as a floppy or hard drive,
where
> you are storing on magnetic media with heads and wear, one would think the
> read/write cycle should be theoretically infinite. No moving parts. I

have
> yet to hear of a memory card wearing out. Anybody else?

They have a limited life, but the average user isn't going to approach the
number of writes possible on modern cards.

--
Mark

Photos, Ideas & Opinions
http://www.marklauter.com