Velocity Reviews

-   -   can one take infrared photos with a digital camera? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t415366-can-one-take-infrared-photos-with-a-digital-camera.html)

River Horse 05-19-2005 07:10 PM

can one take infrared photos with a digital camera?

The description of a infrared filter at an on-line store said that CCD's
were sensitive to infrared, but some manufacturers put filters that stop
infrared in the camera.

So I asked Canon support if the A95 could be used with an infrared
filter to take infrared pics.
they replied:

Thank you for contacting Canon product support. We value you as a Canon
customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

Since the PowerShot A95 is not supported being used with an infrared
filter, we cannot guarantee or confirm how it will work. You'll need to
try it and see how it turns out.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

Angela
Technical Support Representative

--gee thanks for helping!-- i still don't know the answer...
anyone in this group know if the A95 is sensitive to infrared?
any knowledge as to any specific digital camera that is, or is not,
sensitive to infrared?
anyone have an infrared filter and can give it a try with their digital
camera?

Thanks in advance,
~steve

Mr. Mark 05-19-2005 07:25 PM

Re: can one take infrared photos with a digital camera?

> The description of a infrared filter at an on-line store said that CCD's
> were sensitive to infrared, but some manufacturers put filters that stop
> infrared in the camera.

Maybe. Depends on the camera. My friend wrote an article about this.
Here's a link. You can test if the camera supports IR by taking a photo of
an IR remote control when the IR light is activated (pushing channels
button?).

http://www.photozo.com/forum/viewtop...light=infrared

--
Mark

Photos, Ideas & Opinions
http://www.marklauter.com

Owamanga 05-19-2005 07:43 PM

Re: can one take infrared photos with a digital camera?

On Thu, 19 May 2005 15:10:40 -0400, River Horse
<hippoCANoSPAM@comcast.net> wrote:

>The description of a infrared filter at an on-line store said that CCD's
>were sensitive to infrared, but some manufacturers put filters that stop
>infrared in the camera.

You'll need an adapter to let you put any filter on it, and you'll
need an IR filter, but the answer is yes.

To save money, you might want to try a test - make your own IR filter
by taping a piece of completely dark, exposed, processed negative
across the lens. It'll be nasty, but will show you what it can see.

Another test: do a long exposure in a dark room and fire your remote
control towards the camera, so it can be seen in the photo. If
anything shows up, you've got some IR sensitivity.

If pbase.com was worth a **** you'd be able to search for a keyword +
specify the camera model at the same time - to see if you can see any
example shots, but it's not, so sadly you can't.

Okay, I've bunged all of that into the search box and 20 minutes later
it came back with this guy's samples: A95 with a Hoya R72 filter

http://www.pbase.com/eddyb/ir

Have fun, show us what you end up with.

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

River Horse 05-19-2005 08:38 PM

Re: can one take infrared photos with a digital camera?

thanks to all who responded! and thanks Owamanga for the time searching!
as usual, newsgroups are better than the manufacturers for unusual
questions!

gotta get me a R72
Cheers!
~steve

Paul Rubin 05-20-2005 12:11 AM

Re: can one take infrared photos with a digital camera?

These days cameras have more aggressive IR cut filters than before.

If you want infrared pics, try a DSLR (Canon 300D, Nikon D70, etc.)
with the IR filter removed. See the links at the end of:

http://www.astrosurf.org/buil/d70v10d/eval.htm

for how to remove the IR filter.

clutch@lycos.com 05-20-2005 02:32 PM

Re: can one take infrared photos with a digital camera?

River Horse <hippoCANoSPAM@comcast.net> wrote:

>The description of a infrared filter at an on-line store said that CCD's
>were sensitive to infrared, but some manufacturers put filters that stop
>infrared in the camera.

A sony V3 has an infrared mode along with night shot (ir iluminator)

Wes