Velocity Reviews

-   -   Custom Curves and D70 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t414970-custom-curves-and-d70.html)

Billy 05-07-2005 01:13 PM

Custom Curves and D70

Anyone have a preferred one? My goal was to reduce the dark images produced
by the camera. However, when I'm in P mode, I get all blurry images using
the latest version of the Fotogenic point and shoot cc. It's strange though,
because the flash never shoots while in this mode. Most of the shots were
taken indoors. I want the camera to be as automatic as possible without
having to modify many of the settings, as the Fotogenic cc is named "point
and shoot".

Krystian Polak 05-07-2005 01:29 PM

Re: Custom Curves and D70

> I want the camera to be as automatic as possible without having to modify
> many of the settings, as the Fotogenic cc is named "point and shoot".

Question a bit of topic, but: why did you buy D70 if you wanted camera be
automatic as much as posible? Whole point of having SLR, whatever analog or
digital, is to have full control over image. For 'automatic' photos there
are point and shot cameras. To be honest it suprises me.

Regards,

K.Polak

Roy 05-07-2005 01:55 PM

Re: Custom Curves and D70

"Billy" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Anyone have a preferred one? My goal was to reduce the dark images
> produced by the camera. However, when I'm in P mode, I get all blurry
> images using the latest version of the Fotogenic point and shoot cc. It's
> strange though, because the flash never shoots while in this mode. Most of
> the shots were taken indoors. I want the camera to be as automatic as
> possible without having to modify many of the settings, as the Fotogenic
> cc is named "point and shoot".

The Custom Curves will not over-ride the settings on the Main Dial.

If you want the Camera to behave like a P & S then set it to Auto, and the
Flash will pop up whenever the camera thinks it is needed.

In "P" for Program the Flash will only come up when you press the Flash
Button.

The Curve you are talking about will probably give the sort of pictures you
would get if you were using a P & S Camera. I would expect higher levels of
Saturation, Brightness and Contrast, than the default settings.

Roy G

Billy 05-07-2005 03:14 PM

Re: Custom Curves and D70

Thanks, that helped. One thing about the EV, is it set to 0 by default
settings in P mode? I think I may have changed it, just want to be sure.

Paul Rubin 05-07-2005 05:05 PM

Re: Custom Curves and D70

"Krystian Polak" <krpolak@poczta.onet.pl> writes:
> Question a bit of topic, but: why did you buy D70 if you wanted
> camera be automatic as much as posible? Whole point of having SLR,
> whatever analog or digital, is to have full control over image.

Not at all, some successful SLR's like the Nikon EM didn't even let
you set the shutter speed. Reasons for using a D70 could include
cleaner images (large sensor), interchangeable lenses (long
telephotos, fast normals, etc), wireless flash automation, etc. Being
able to purposely set the wrong exposure would normally be pretty far
down the list.

Sheldon 05-07-2005 08:27 PM

Re: Custom Curves and D70

> Thanks, that helped. One thing about the EV, is it set to 0 by default
> settings in P mode? I think I may have changed it, just want to be sure.

Regardless of what mode you are in, you should see any EV changes from
normal in the viewfinder. If you are using custom curves you should not
really have to increase the EV value except for certain shots. Before I
installed custom curves I left the EV at about +2/3rds to brighten up most
shots. Now I mostly leave it alone, or shoot in RAW mode when a shot is
critical. And yes, 0 is the default in P mode, which to most people looks a
bit dark. When EV is set to 0 you will not see any EV settings in P mode in
the viewfinder. That area of the viewfinder will be dark. And, if you like
to adjust your EV settings a lot, you can transfer the settings to the front
control wheel, so you don't have to push the EV button and turn the wheel at
the same time. Check the menu.

Mostly, just experiment a lot and have fun.

Diane Wilson 05-08-2005 12:29 AM

Re: Custom Curves and D70

In article <j8qdnX8KorLBRuHfRVn-pw@comcast.com>, nospam@comcast.net says...
> Thanks, that helped. One thing about the EV, is it set to 0 by default
> settings in P mode? I think I may have changed it, just want to be sure.

The D70 resets EV to 0 every time you turn the camera off.

And, as noted, you can set up the menus to give you front command
wheel control over EV. See CSM settings 10 and 14.

Diane

Sheldon 05-08-2005 12:51 AM

Re: Custom Curves and D70

> The D70 resets EV to 0 every time you turn the camera off.

Not on mine. It holds 'till I set it back to 0.

Billy 05-08-2005 02:40 AM

Re: Custom Curves and D70

What ver of firmware?

Paul Furman 05-08-2005 03:27 AM

Re: Custom Curves and D70

Billy wrote:

> What ver of firmware?
>
> "Sheldon" <sheldon@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> wrote in message
>
>>>The D70 resets EV to 0 every time you turn the camera off.
>>>

>>Not on mine. It holds 'till I set it back to 0.

Mine does not reset. I'm on one version old firmware since I can't
update with a microdrive but that was not listed as a change... though
it may be?

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1