Velocity Reviews

-   -   Canon A95 Successor? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t414305-canon-a95-successor.html)

DHB 04-20-2005 06:49 AM

Canon A95 Successor?

Does anybody know if Canon intends to continue the Axx line
beyond the A95? Almost 2 months ago I purchased an A95 & have been so
pleased with it that I am considering ordering a 2nd but for
specialized use with a lens adapter, filters & a reverse mounted 50mm
lens to act as a super Macro adapter.

The question is, should I wait to see what replaces the A95 or
just order another soon? Hate to order the same thing only to soon
after have something better replace it for about the same cost. 5MP
with the 1/1.8" CCD seems to be as far as I think they should push
this size sensor up the MP race ladder.

My concern is that since Canon seems to be converting most of
their P&S digital cameras over to SD memory, I am hoping that they
will continue to use CF memory cards with the A95's replacement so
that I can use my investment in large capacity CF cards from my DSLR &
other cameras with it.

So, any thoughts as to what Canon may be planning or when they
night announce an upgrade to the A95 would be nice.

Features I would like to see in the A95's replacement:

1> CF memory card usage.
2> Quick & secure mounting of external filters, lenses & etc.
3> 5MP or more but only if the noise level is equal or less.
4> Swivel LCD Display.
5> "C" Custom mode that even remembers manual focus & zoom position.
6> "AA" NiMH use is a plus too but not a deal break without it.
7> An interval timer like that on the S60/S70 would be nice too.

All constructive information/opinions are welcome & I thank
all in advance.

Respectfully, DHB
to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

Alf92 04-20-2005 04:29 PM

Re: Canon A95 Successor?

DHB a dit ša :

> Features I would like to see in the A95's replacement:

Canon A520

> 1> CF memory card usage.

no, SD

> 2> Quick & secure mounting of external filters, lenses & etc.

yes

> 3> 5MP or more but only if the noise level is equal or less.

4Mp

> 4> Swivel LCD Display.

no

> 5> "C" Custom mode that even remembers manual focus & zoom position.

yes

> 6> "AA" NiMH use is a plus too but not a deal break without it.

yes (2, and not 4 as on the A95)

--
Cordialement,
Alf92

DHB 04-20-2005 07:16 PM

Re: Canon A95 Successor?

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 18:29:08 +0200, "Alf92"
<alf92[NO-SPAM]@freesurf.fr> wrote:

>DHB a dit ša :
>
>> Features I would like to see in the A95's replacement:

>Canon A520
>
>> 1> CF memory card usage.

>no, SD
>
>> 2> Quick & secure mounting of external filters, lenses & etc.

>yes
>
>> 3> 5MP or more but only if the noise level is equal or less.

>4Mp
>
>> 4> Swivel LCD Display.

>no
>
>> 5> "C" Custom mode that even remembers manual focus & zoom position.

>yes
>
>> 6> "AA" NiMH use is a plus too but not a deal break without it.

>yes (2, and not 4 as on the A95)
>
>> 7> An interval timer like that on the S60/S70 would be nice too.

>no

Alf92,
hopefully the A510, A520 & future A530, A540, etc..... will
not replace the (A95) Axx series. SD flash memory is fine for smaller
P&S cameras but I hope Canon does not continue this with the Axx & Sxx
P&S camera line.

Maybe selfish on my part because I have a considerable
investment in CF cards & would like to use them with both my DSLR &
P&S digital cameras. Yes I do want my cake & eat it too, but it's
only human nature to wish for such, reality may however be completely
incompatible with what "I" want.

Thanks for your input & in advance to anybody else.

Respectfully, DHB
to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

BucketButt 04-20-2005 08:46 PM

Re: Canon A95 Successor?

DHB wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 18:29:08 +0200, "Alf92"
> <alf92[NO-SPAM]@freesurf.fr> wrote:
>

>>DHB a dit ša :
>>

>>>Features I would like to see in the A95's replacement:

>>Canon A520
>>

>>>1> CF memory card usage.

>>no, SD
>>

>>>2> Quick & secure mounting of external filters, lenses & etc.

>>yes
>>

>>>3> 5MP or more but only if the noise level is equal or less.

>>4Mp
>>

>>>4> Swivel LCD Display.

>>no
>>

>>>5> "C" Custom mode that even remembers manual focus & zoom position.

>>yes
>>

>>>6> "AA" NiMH use is a plus too but not a deal break without it.

>>yes (2, and not 4 as on the A95)
>>

>>>7> An interval timer like that on the S60/S70 would be nice too.

>>no

> Alf92,
> hopefully the A510, A520 & future A530, A540, etc..... will
> not replace the (A95) Axx series. SD flash memory is fine for smaller
> P&S cameras but I hope Canon does not continue this with the Axx & Sxx
> P&S camera line.
>
> Maybe selfish on my part because I have a considerable
> investment in CF cards & would like to use them with both my DSLR &
> P&S digital cameras. Yes I do want my cake & eat it too, but it's
> only human nature to wish for such, reality may however be completely
> incompatible with what "I" want.
>
> Thanks for your input & in advance to anybody else.
>
> Respectfully, DHB

I agree with you on the matter of Compact Flash cards. Other flash
memory formats may work just as well, but CF cards generally cost less
and offer a wider range of capacities than the others. And if I run out
of storage while traveling, CF cards are nearly as readily available as
alkaline AAs (essential when my NiMHs are exhausted).

I might give up AA compatibility on my ext camera, provided battery
capacity is sufficient to let me get by with only one spare battery; but
the ability to use CF cards is much more important to me. Seen in that
light, the A520 isn't really a successor to the A95, but rather an
alternative to it for those who like SD cards. Okay, I'll admit I'd
accept SD compatibility if I didn't already have a camera and other
devices that use CF; but I prefer to use the most readily available
supplies whenever possible, and high-capacity SD cards just aren't as
common around here as high-capacity CF cards.

--
Walter Luffman Medina, TN USA
Amateur curmudgeon, equal opportunity annoyer

Cathy 04-20-2005 09:56 PM

Re: Canon A95 Successor?

"Alf92" <alf92[NO-SPAM]@freesurf.fr> wrote in message
> DHB a dit ša :
>
> > Features I would like to see in the A95's replacement:

> Canon A520

The Canon A520 replaced the Canon A85. The A510 replaced the Canon A75.
The A95 replacement has not come out yet so hard to say what it will be
like.

Cthy

Jack Dotson 04-21-2005 02:12 AM

Re: Canon A95 Successor?

The 520 looks like a really good camera, but for just a bit more wouldn't
most of you go with the Sony DSC-W5? 5 MP, 2 1/2" LCD, 2 rechargeable AA
batteries include with charger, etc.

qtraindash7@optonline.net 04-21-2005 01:23 PM

Re: Canon A95 Successor?

I was thinking of getting an A85 or 95 sometimes in the future (toward
2006). I have already seen the A75 replaced by the A510. I don't care
for SD as well, it's more expensive and not with most compatable with
DSLR's (which use CF).
The 510 touts a 4X zoom and uses 2 AA batteries, but from what I've
seen of it in there store I do not care for it. Looks cheaper than the
A75. I have a Canon A75 that is on the fritz and under warranty (lens
stuck) and will be sent back for repair. Other than the lens problem
(which happened out of the blue) I have been very pleased with the
camera. I have an extended plan also, so if the camera fails again
after warranty, the store will actually give me a gift card for a
replacement. If God forbid that time came, I'd sure hope the A85 or 95
would still be around.
I guess Canon wants to cheapen their cameras and make those who want
more professional compact cameras pay more. I refuse to use anything
that uses SD. CF and AA battery is a must.

DHB 04-21-2005 01:38 PM

Re: Canon A95 Successor?

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 02:12:35 GMT, "Jack Dotson" <jdotson@stx.rr.com>
wrote:

>The 520 looks like a really good camera, but for just a bit more wouldn't
>most of you go with the Sony DSC-W5? 5 MP, 2 1/2" LCD, 2 rechargeable AA
>batteries include with charger, etc.

Snip.......

Jack Dotson,
from what I know of the Sony DSC-W5, it's a fine
camera but I would like A camera that U can use my CF cards from my
other cameras. For somebody starting off in digital photography this
camera might be a very good choice but because I have a DSLR & other
digital cameras, all of which use CF memory, my investment in this
area is considerable & I don't want to have to buy a different type of
memory.

This for me is just being practical. The A95 is a very good
camera & as stated I am considering buying another for sole use with
optical accessories, making the other my everyday camera when I want
to travel light but still have a good camera with me.

B&H just dropped the price to about $270.00 US which makes it
even more attractive but it also makes me wonder if they did so to
clear out inventory of something else, like it's replacement?

May come down to flipping a coin as to if I want to wait & see
if a replacement is announced & risk the possibility that the A95
cameras might sell out before that.

Today I will likely decide. Input always welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Respectfully, DHB

..
to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

David J Taylor 04-21-2005 01:53 PM

Re: Canon A95 Successor?

qtraindash7@optonline.net wrote:
> I refuse to use anything that uses SD.

Why?

Cathy 04-21-2005 11:16 PM

Re: Canon A95 Successor?

<qtraindash7@optonline.net> wrote in message
news:1114089795.500937.274400@o13g2000cwo.googlegr oups.com...
> I was thinking of getting an A85 or 95 sometimes in the future (toward
> 2006). I have already seen the A75 replaced by the A510. I don't care
> for SD as well, it's more expensive and not with most compatable with
> DSLR's (which use CF).

If you are thinking of getting an A85 or A95, you should get them soon.
The A75 and A85
have already been replaced with the A510 and A520.The A95 is expected to
be replaced as well,but hasn't happened yet. I am in Toronto, Canada and
most camera stores lowered the prices of A75 and A85 in the last couple
of months and the salesmen in camera stores say the A75 and A85 will be
discontinued.

Cathy