Velocity Reviews

-   -   Monitor - photo editing? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t413777-monitor-photo-editing.html)

Frederick 04-05-2005 04:39 AM

Monitor - photo editing?

I'm interested in opinions / recommendations for monitors for photo
editing. I can hire gear for monitor colour calibration. I'm interested
in good amateur gear - not high end (= expensive) stuff.
Sony Trinitron - or monitors with Trinitron tubes have been recommended,
as has a general "stay away from LCD". I expect that the larger the
better, but I would rather have a great 17" or 19", than a not so good 21".

Michaelangelo 04-05-2005 03:25 PM

Re: Monitor - photo editing?

In article <1112675925.835714@ftpsrv1>, nomailplease@nomail.com says...
> I'm interested in opinions / recommendations for monitors for photo
> editing. I can hire gear for monitor colour calibration. I'm interested
> in good amateur gear - not high end (= expensive) stuff.
> Sony Trinitron - or monitors with Trinitron tubes have been recommended,
> as has a general "stay away from LCD". I expect that the larger the
> better, but I would rather have a great 17" or 19", than a not so good 21".

My 19" Sony packed in, after 30 months use, at the turn of the year. I
presume I was just unlucky - CRT's are like light bulbs, they can last
for ages or go very quickly. I've replaced it with a 19" Mitsubishi
Diamond Plus 93sb which also uses trinitron tubes. Very pleased with it.
I was tempted (because they're so sexy) to go for a LCD - the Viewsonic
ones are good at reasonable prices - but they all still have the problem
of changing brightness and contrast as you move your head from side to
side or up and down. That makes them next to useless for serious graphics
work IMO.

--
Michaelangelo
www.mikenagel.co.uk

Accessible, self-catering, holiday
accommodation for physically disabled people
www.woodhead-cottage.co.uk

Giulia 04-05-2005 06:34 PM

Re: Monitor - photo editing?

One of my Sony Trinitron monitors now had a red colour cast, but the other
is fine. Good monitors, but the one which has failed isn't that old.

IMO, decent CRT monitors are still better that LCD.

steven 04-05-2005 08:20 PM

Re: Monitor - photo editing?

[top post fixed]

"Giulia" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> One of my Sony Trinitron monitors now had a red colour cast, but the other
> is fine. Good monitors, but the one which has failed isn't that old.
>
> IMO, decent CRT monitors are still better that LCD.

I have a NEC MultiSync LCD 2180UX and it's the best monitor I've ever seen,
CRT or TFT!
That 21.3 real inches. (CRT size usually indicates the tube's diagonal, in
which case the useful real estate is up to 2 inches smaller.)
Not cheap though :-(

Stacey 04-06-2005 06:00 AM

Re: Monitor - photo editing?

Frederick wrote:

> I'm interested in opinions / recommendations for monitors for photo
> editing. I can hire gear for monitor colour calibration.

I'm real happy with my hyundia F910 and it was cheap. One thing to look for,
make SURE you can set the RGB balance via sliders in hardware on the
monitor. if it doesn't have this adjustment, that's a bad sign!

--

Stacey

Shadowdancer 04-16-2005 09:30 AM

Re: Monitor - photo editing?

In article <3bhc79F698d70U2@individual.net>, fotocord@yahoo.com says...
> Frederick wrote:
>
> > I'm interested in opinions / recommendations for monitors for photo
> > editing. I can hire gear for monitor colour calibration.

> I'm real happy with my hyundia F910 and it was cheap. One thing to look for,
> make SURE you can set the RGB balance via sliders in hardware on the
> monitor. if it doesn't have this adjustment, that's a bad sign!

I recommend the Pantone Spyder-Pro color correction setup. It does an
excellent job of keeping my monitor on track.