Velocity Reviews

-   -   NASDAQ 100 Open Sharapova photos (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t413534-nasdaq-100-open-sharapova-photos.html)

Paiasoloco 03-29-2005 02:49 PM

NASDAQ 100 Open Sharapova photos

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=483290

She's just gorgous. A fantastic subject to photograph.

Kevin McMurtrie 03-30-2005 06:11 AM

Re: NASDAQ 100 Open Sharapova photos

In article <1112107755.686171.81370@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups. com>,
"Paiasoloco" <fcalvo@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=483290
>
> She's just gorgous. A fantastic subject to photograph.

You need to manually set the white balance when shooting into a colored
background. Your color balance is all over the place.

Skip M 03-30-2005 12:02 PM

"Kevin McMurtrie" <mcmurtri@dslextreme.com> wrote in message
> In article <1112107755.686171.81370@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups. com>,
> "Paiasoloco" <fcalvo@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=483290
>>
>> She's just gorgous. A fantastic subject to photograph.

> You need to manually set the white balance when shooting into a colored
> background. Your color balance is all over the place.

On my monitor, the color balance is fine, witness the white lines on the
court. The exposure varies a little, is all.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Paiasoloco 03-30-2005 05:09 PM

Re: NASDAQ 100 Open Sharapova photos

You mean that color is inconsistent between shots? Maybe true. I was
trying different speed/aperture combinations. I've read that small
aperture (my Lumix does f/8 max.) and long focal lengths can cause
fringing. So I tried shooting with as big an aperture as possible and
compensated exposure by 2 points darker. But as you see it was a very
bright day so there was not much I could do at that particular moment.

I don't know how to manually set white balance yet, and although my
camera has that option, I haven't played with yet. So, you are
recommending use manual wb in colored backgrounds, how do I do this?

Roy 03-30-2005 10:59 PM

"Paiasoloco" <fcalvo@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1112202574.283416.308800@o13g2000cwo.googlegr oups.com...
> You mean that color is inconsistent between shots? Maybe true. I was
> trying different speed/aperture combinations. I've read that small
> aperture (my Lumix does f/8 max.) and long focal lengths can cause
> fringing. So I tried shooting with as big an aperture as possible and
> compensated exposure by 2 points darker. But as you see it was a very
> bright day so there was not much I could do at that particular moment.
>
> I don't know how to manually set white balance yet, and although my
> camera has that option, I haven't played with yet. So, you are
> recommending use manual wb in colored backgrounds, how do I do this?

Don't bother.

Your White Balance is fine, its just the Exposure that is a little bit out.
If Skip says so, you can be sure that it really is.

If the light was constant, you should just have metered off the Green Court
Surface (it is about as close to 18% grey as you will get) and left the
Camera on that setting. You probably needed a fairly high shutter speed, in
order to freeze the action, and stop the ball from becoming a blurred line,
so your large aperture was the correct way to go.

Roy G