Velocity Reviews

-   -   420 ez flashes with 420 ex (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t413182-420-ez-flashes-with-420-ex.html)

Don 03-20-2005 11:26 PM

420 ez flashes with 420 ex

Folks

I have noted I can purchase the Canon 420 ez flashes for fairly cheap
prices. I was considering using a "wired" set up for some still life
photography. Can anyone advise as to whether I could substitute 420 ex
flashes with the cheaper 420 ez if I was prepared to use a wired system
instead of wireless and did not need E TTL metering?

--
Don From Down Under

Eric Gill 03-21-2005 12:42 AM

Re: 420 ez flashes with 420 ex

"Don" <mackie.don@bigpond.com> wrote in news:VEn%d.5312$C7.119@news-
server.bigpond.net.au:

> Folks
>
> I have noted I can purchase the Canon 420 ez flashes for fairly cheap
> prices. I was considering using a "wired" set up for some still life
> photography. Can anyone advise as to whether I could substitute 420 ex
> flashes with the cheaper 420 ez if I was prepared to use a wired system
> instead of wireless and did not need E TTL metering?

You can use any flashgun you like as long as you run them out of the PC
interface instead of the hotshoe.

Use something like the Sunpak 283 and you'll only have to wire 1 of them-
they've got a built-in optical slave, and if you're using the PC interface,
you'll not have the damned ETTL preflash to screw it up.

Standard optical slaves have greatly reduced issues related to line of
sight compared to the Canon IR system, and you can mix and match slave
systems, even add things like hotshoe optical slave adaptors (US $10 or 15)
to any non-OS flashguns you might have or pick up cheap.

Don 03-21-2005 03:17 AM

Re: 420 ez flashes with 420 ex

Eric

thanks